60 assasinated and CNN says "Separatist group" - But, what's up with CNN??!!

Mar 25, 2002
Irún, Guipúzcoa - SPAIN
Visit site
Carnage in train bombing in Madrid

We are in elections in Spain, next sunday.

The ETA killers have strike in Madrid, in three conmuter trains, this morning around 7:45AM local time.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/03/11/spain.blasts/index.html

When I'm writing, the toll rises to +60 people killed. Workers, students... all bursted. A massacre.

These scum wanted to be "present" with their bombs in the polls, they have tried hard (another car bomb was detected and the terrorists arrested two weeks ago, and another group was stopped of putting bombs in trains). Now, they have achieved its goal: three trains bursted in rush hour...

The ETA group have killed +800 people in spain since the 60's, and They are called "terrorists" by the Spanish government, the European Union, the USA government...

But not by CNN. They call them "separatist group". Yeah. Maybe they need that these animals send them a letter saying "we are terrorists".

Say that to the victim's relatives.

I'm sick.

(Oh, BTW, I'M born basque, and I live in that "Basque Homeland", and the sole freedom that 99% of basques are asking is that ETA dissapears and their scum be arrested)

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
For what it's worth, Topo, the media here are refering to them as "separatists" too. I've often wondered about that too, given their history and past actions.

An unforgivable act, regardless of the political agenda behind it.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
My most sincere sympathies Topo. I guess media all over the world see things pretty much the same. Which unfortunately seems to mean being apologetic to barbarians. I wish your country luck in its fight against these bastards.

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
On PBN (Public Radio) this AM, they said that no group has claimed responsibility yet. In the past, it would be a very good assumption that ETA was responsible, but since Spain has backed the US's anti-terrorist actions, it could now be any one of a number of groups.

I can't get too hung up on the terrorist/separatist deal - ETA is both, right? Their actions speak for themselves, regardless of what tag gets hung on them. But I guess that just reflects what effect the media's choice of words has on me personally, not on the overall public.

At any rate, I also hope that punishment comes fast and harsh to these and all others who try to get their way through terrorism.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
I just listened to the news in the radio - now (2pm here in Europe) they are speaking of more than 170 people killed, still more are dying and hundreds are injured!

There is no, absolutely no excuse for such actions. If only these terrorists would be dynamited in exactly the same way if they are caught, one for one! It is about the same level of 'political justice' to legitimate such an assassination like the legitimation of the events of 9/11/01. But no, there are always some nitwits around, praising such crap as 'freedom fighters'. What kind of freedom could this possibly be???

The bad thing is that the bloody cowards who dynamite innocent people are getting exactly the attention they want to get. The mindless idiots of CNN and other TV and radio stations can't stop doing their so called 'duty to furnish information' - outdoing each other with more gory details, telling exactly how this and that was done (so that other idiots can copy the same sort of crime most easily).

The aim of these criminals is to inflict commercial damage to the tourist business of Spain. And their calculation really adds up, because the more details you hear about the incident, the more people are frightened off to spend their holidays in Spain.
I am convinced, if the press and TV only would bring a short notice about the bombing and then PERIOD! - there would be no big echo around the world, and the aim of the terrorist would be missed altogether. Probably such acts of violence whould diminish and finally disappear, because the culprits couln't get any advantage anymore. Well, at least that's my theory, but I realize that this is absolutely daydreaming. 'Bad news is good news' - this is the only thing that counts for the media.

Topo, my sincerest feelings are with all the victims of this sick act of violence, but also with all the fine people in Spain AND in the Basque homeland. As you said and I also know, most of them absolutely abhor those ETA terrorists.

Ron

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Javier, my friend, and others in the regeon, I am dreadfully sorry to hear of the terrible terrorist attck on your innocent people. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

I cought the news this morning on Fox news, and they called it what it is, a terrorist attack. They did use the word "Seperatist" to describe the group, but only after labeling tham as the terrorists they are. If CNN or anyone is playing this down with some kind of political (politically correct?) label, for what ever reason, they are failures as journalists, and not doing their job. Coddling terrorists makes them flourish.

Mar 25, 2002
Irún, Guipúzcoa - SPAIN
Visit site
Thanks for the words, friends.

Well, my rant against the CNN "style book" was born of the impotence.

The first thing that came to my mind when I readed the CNN headers was: "If tomorrow, a lunatic "world-fixer" bombed hundreds of people in the sake of peace, this guys of CNN would call him "pacifist".

I'm not a faint stomach. When I was student, in the 80's, I was member of Civil Protection (an emergency auxiliary corps). Other ETA "separatists" bombed a bus in Madrid and I was one that had to "clean" the site then. You forget the gory details, but never can forget the faces of the alive people that, shocked, tried to cry and no sound come out of their mouths.

Today, this animals planted ten bombs in three trains, hidden in handbags under the seats and in the baggage compartments. The police have deactivated another three bobbytraps, prepared to kill the police and the emergency teams that came to rescue.

The trains were full of students and blue collar workers, people of all political colors that, in rush time, were going to their works/homes/classrooms, unaware of the killing madness of ETA "freedom fighters".

For me, nobody can do something like this, showing such scorn for the other's lives, and continue to be called "human being". I hope that all "freedom fighters" like these be rooted in hell. Forever.

Forgive me the rant, friends. I'm sick about that.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
How purely evil and sickening they are, Javier. Outside my own country, I have witnessed the innocent gunned down in the street (not a terrorist act per se, no politica statements, just thug government control). I can relate to some of your feelings. I'm sure it is more intense for you because it is your own countrymen.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Javier,

This forum connects me to the world in ways I'd never anticipated. Our sympathies and prayers are with the victims and their families.
Ralph

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Don't be afraid to vent, Javier. I pray that all is well for you and your family. I myself am still waiting for word from a Dutch missionary and his family who live in Madrid. As for the American Press Corp, I am ashamed to even mention them. Grace and peace, BC

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
I was thinking of you this morning Javier when I cought the 530am news flash.
So very sad my friend, as the folks here have said, round them up and wipe them off the face of the earth.
Coward`s Bloody Coward`s the lot of them!!!!
My prayers are with the victims and families,

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
It is difficult to understand what happens to people as to why they turn to terrorisism. What kind of a childhood did they experience for them to grow up this way. If we could ever find and understand the root cause then maybe we would have a chance of avoiding these terrifying circumstances. We are supposed to be civilized but its truly shocking to hear what happened in your country Javier. Our thoughts and prayers are with all the victims.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
It is indeed a sad state of affairs that there are those in this world who resort cowardly acts of violence to support their so called causes. But take comfort my friend in knowning that these people, whoever they may be, will answer for their deeds be it here or in the hereafter.

As for CNN, I "take them with a grain of salt"....seems that in their haste to report news they do not take time to verify some of what they are reporting and often report rumor as fact. Early on in their reporting of the 911 attack they were reporting that in addition to WTC and the Pentagon the Justice Department and FBI buildings had been attacked.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
It is difficult to understand what happens to people as to why they turn to terrorisism.

As far as I can tell, terrorism comes from hate, and hate comes from ignorance and fear. Children are being taught to hate so the cycle continues. I have seen stories where Israli and Palastinian kids grow up together, get along and are happy to live in peace. If they can do it, everyone else should be able to as well. I guess that the moral is: to change the world, teach the children.

Javier, you and your countrymen have my sincerest condolences.

Oct 14, 2003
Lisboa, Portugal
I still don't have words to describe how, I feel... since Spain is just right here at our side. I was watching news all day long, just to hear the death toll rising and rising... just by the end of the day,we received the news that Bin Laden's Al-Qaeda was behind the attacks...

What's next? I wonder if Portugal is not in the list of targets, especially during the Euro 2004...

I was in Madrid a few months ago, and I used those trains... I keep thinking if it has happened when I was there... I have friends near Atocha, whom I tried to contact all day long, just to know they were safe...

And I cannot think otherwise than to repudiate the most what these people did... It's not human is an animal weakness... these people are true animals...

Mar 25, 2002
Irún, Guipúzcoa - SPAIN
Visit site
Thanks friends.

Now, several voices are pointing to AlQuaeda, but there is nothing clear yet, because there are political issues involved (we are in campaign, and extreme-left parties try to erode the government by showing this massacre as being caused for the spanish supporting of Bush about Irak). However, still many hints point to ETA: explosives type, modus operandi, recent failed attempts to bombing trains (last in december, 24!!). On will know better when the police ends the investigation.

Whatever planted the bombs, the facts are that almost 200 people have been killed yesterday (and many others will die in the next days), and just today, we have already here guys finger-pointing, blaming each one, trying to grab some votes!! I'm sick about dirty politics. When I retire, I want to move to New Zealand, or to Mars. Anywhere far, without gummy guys showing themselves as the better thing after the hot cakes while pointing the "others" as the cause of all evil on the world. If I were a victim's relative, I would be MAD about this. :curse: :curse: :curse:

All of us, as human beings, due to our life circumstances and the education that we are exposed to, we grow building both bad and good feelings into us. It's clear to me that the terrorism (come it from anywhere) is born out of hate, but I'm not able to imagine the hate levels that transform (inside the terrorist's mind) anonymous people into targets of such hate.

Usually, we are prone to attribute such behaviour to illiterate, poor people, with their minds blinded by religious fanaticism. But our educated, occidental minds, are equally capable of similar dreadful. I will relate you some real history about this madness that happened several years ago, at less than 30 miles of my home and it caused a fuss then. I remember to have read about it in the newspapers.

-
It's the late 50's. A man is standing out of his shop. Near, a woman with a little baby in arms and some bags with groceries, while another child is playing with a ball. Suddenly, the ball bounces to the road and the child darts to catch it, unaware that a truck is coming. The mother drops the bags and run to save the child, but she runs into the bags and falls to the road, still with the baby in their arms. The man is just able to throw himself to the road and catch the baby. The truck crushes the woman and the other child.

Several years later, in the 70's, the man have now several small supermarkets. He, as many other small businessmen in basqueland, is blackmailed to pay the "revolutionary tax", money for supporting the terrorist activities of ETA. He refuses, and is killed several months later, shotted by one ETA member. Soon after that, the killer is arrested: he is the baby saved by his victim several years before. Asked about his feelings, the killer shows no remorse at all: "he (the victim) don't supported our fight for the freedom of Euskalherria, so he was an enemy of basque people".
-

What's in the mind of beings like that? I'm not sure to want to know...

F

Fred_M

Sorry about the Spanish people who died for someone elses cause. Seems like there is lots of making innocents die for your cause going on in the world anymore. As to CNN, do as I and not watch them or MSNBC. If enough people would do this maybe advertisers would quit supporting them and they would go broke. Problem solved. CNN still say 9-11 hyjackers I'm told. FRED