50' boxcars with RS-3 and GP7/9 ?

Biased turkey

I have some Sw9/1200, RS-3, GP7 and GP9 engines ( my layout is very small so I can't afford to run 6 axles engines ). I have 40' boxcars , reefers and one 8000 gallons tankcar.
Would it be historically correct to add some 50' boxcars ?

Jacques

chooch.42

Jacques, Don't see why you wouldn't be OK, unless your rigorously imitated prototype dumped all these locos very early. I hired on PC in 1974, and have run ALL those types with 50' and larger cars. Enjoy the 'cubes if you've got the room !!! Bob C.

doctorwayne

Yeah, Jacques, the fifty-footers were common since the 1920s, although more so in the west. 50' flatcars and gondolas were also common, so feel free to use 'em if you've got the room.

Wayne

Biased turkey

Thanks for taking some of your precious time to reply chooch.42 and Wayne.
Athearn just released some 50' PS-1 N scale double door boxcars with Mc Henry N scale couplers ( It's new to me ) and their 50' Delaware and Hudson will fit nicely on my CN CP GT TH&B D&H layout.

Jacques

L

lester perry

The way I see it is this. It is you road run it the way yoy want.
Les

Triplex

All those locomotives lasted into the era where you could run 80'+ freight cars - I believe those first came around 1960-61. The SW9, SW1200 and GP9 can still be found in switching service on Class 1s today.

Pooh Bah
Jacques:
CPR still has 17 GP7, 199 GP9, 32 SW1200 variants, 11 SW9 variants.
The last RS units went in 1984.
CNR's last RS3 went in 1969.

Biased turkey

Thanks for the additional information 60103 and Triplex.
I didn't know CPR still has all those models running.
I'm not a rivet counter but I wouldn't like to have something odd or completely unbelievable on my layout , such as a a Shay engine pulling a ... French TGV .

Jacques

kokoracer

That is one of the beauties of this hobby. We freelancers can choose our own way. After setting my general location and time period, I decided that I liked the locomotives from Buffalo better than GEs or EMDs. Come to find out that the locos fit my time period, although most were on their way out.

Thus, a friend of Bill W. becomes an Alco holic well into his recovery!!

John

Triplex

The D&H was known as one of the last big users of Alcos in the US, right up through the Guilford era in the 80s. A few of theirs even lasted into the early 90s when they were owned by CP. Canadian roads kept Alco (well, MLW) power into the late 90s.