$421.12 per gallon!

The lid of the 1 ounce bottle of "Cement" Polyscale paint on my desk says $3.29. There are 128 ounces in a gallon. Yup, that's $421.12 per gallon. I counted the bottles I have on hand - 25 or more than $80 worth - ouch.

I think for the most common colors I use I will take paint chips to the local hardware store and have a quart mixed for $5 or $6.

I will pay the asking price for modeling paint when it's just the color I need. But otherwise, I think I'll start saving some serious money by custom mixing quarts in cement, earth, rust, rr tie brown and grimy black.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Hey buddy, can ya spare $421.12 for a model railroader who's down on his luck? :)
Good plan about getting some paint mixed cheap!
Ralph (a fellow cheapskate...er thrifty modeler!)

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Rusty Spike said:
The lid of the 1 ounce bottle of "Cement" Polyscale paint on my desk says $3.29. There are 128 ounces in a gallon. Yup, that's $421.12 per gallon. I counted the bottles I have on hand - 25 or more than $80 worth - ouch.

I think for the most common colors I use I will take paint chips to the local hardware store and have a quart mixed for $5 or $6.

I will pay the asking price for modeling paint when it's just the color I need. But otherwise, I think I'll start saving some serious money by custom mixing quarts in cement, earth, rust, rr tie brown and grimy black.

I've already done that - bur it's only cost effective if you know you will use most of the "Quart" Great idea!!!!!!!!!!!! :wave: :thumb: :wave: :thumb: :wave: :thumb: :wave:

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
The cost of modeling paint is one of the main reasons I switched to craft paints. They are between $0.50 to $1.00 for 2 oz. Since I thin them at a 2:1 to 3:1 I am getting 4 to 6 oz per dollar. Also they are more readily avialable than model paints so I save on gas.

Jodam

At the 2buck shops here i Oz, i get 16 1/2 oz pots of craft paints, for you guessed it $2 . They are water soluble, this makes weathering easy, as the weathering colours blend with the original colour. Then i give a coat of clear top coat

mhdishere

Count me as another craft paint user. I get them at Michael's for $1 or $2 a bottle, the colors I use more of (like black for weathering washes and brick red for, ummm, bricks) I get in the bigger bottles for maybe $3 or $4. Whenever I've needed a specific color I've always found one that's close enough for my purposes, failing that I can always mix what I need.

belg

Hey Mark its been a long time since I heard from you. How are you doing did you get your layout started yet?
Count me in on already doing the math quite a while ago and with a little luck and a little coaxing try to find returned paints and have them use those to make your paints at an even bigger savings. Pat

mhdishere

Pat,
I'm doing OK. During the summer I tend to do less train-related stuff, seems I spend most of my weekends doing yard work. Plus I spent a week in the Poconos last week with my in-laws, a total of 17 people ranging from 2 months old to 76 years old. Went fishing every day for six days! :thumb:

Didn't get started on the layout yet, one of these days! I keep planning on going to MRPO and get some rail, ties, etc and try my hand at hand-laying track.

Been lurking here and at RR-line, but no posting since I don't have any accomplishments to post.

My wife still hasn't found a light fixture to put up in that spot over the dining-room table that you set up for me either, once she does I know what my chore will be!

How are you doing? I know you said a while ago you were off your feet, back on them yet? How's the transition from N to HO going?

fifer

I'm a Craft paint user as well and have even airbrushed it with some success.
You have to strain it well and thin with a slight amount of alcohol.
Worse yet is buying the RC car (poly carbonate) paint to do a few microns of handrails.
I uderstand that the cost and enviromental issues , are a couple of the reasons the price of our hobby products can be so high.

Mike :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Tileguy

Cost and environmental issues???
Is it so much differant for model paint manufacturers as it is for regular paint manufacturers??
Some pro paint products are far more hazardous yet sell for 40.00 a gallon or less.I understand packaging costs are higher in smaller quantities,but 1000+ %????

So, why can craft paints be sold for so much less?
Modelers paints will sell for whatever the market will bear.If you will pay it,they'll keep raising it.When sales drop off, prices will drop.if sales fall off alot ,prices will drop alot.Some companies will go under, new companies will start up.its the way of a free market society.Tired of paying 400.00 + per gallon? Then dont.and tell everyone else not to either.It may take a year but prices will plummet if enough raise thier fist in defiance.It is after all The American Way :)

fifer

I strain the paint through a old piece of panty hose and thin it with about 50% hot water. I use about 35lbs of air on a medium tip in a Passche VL airbrush. Depending on the brand of craft paint , some are thicker and some are almost thin enough to spray. The Apple Barrel brand seems to be the most consistant.
Mike

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: