kevin

Attachments

• layouttunnel2.jpg
    layouttunnel2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 30

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Obviously, this tunnel portal will develop into a great spot to "illustrate" your trains. I especially like the use of black and white for the occasional steam shot. What scale is this? My uneducated guess would be HOn30 or, maybe more probably, On30. Nice lookin' loco too, what make is it?

Wayne

N

nachoman

The loco is an HOn3 MDC kit. Fun kits - I wish they still made them. As for the BW photo - I've never seen too many color photos of steam locos besides tourist railroads. Somehow, color photos of steamers always look phoney to me. LOL.

kevin

N

nachoman

Ralph-
digital effects. I was messing around with some freeware called "graphic converter" for the macintosh, and drew some wide lines in various shades of gray in the direction of smoke and steam, then blended them together using some kind of "blend" tool. It was complete experimentation :)

kevin

ding chavez

Jan 17, 2006
Philadelphia, Pa
is there any way to have a model "steam" engine actually puff out steam for a while? short of having a little steam engine in there? its cool to see them riding aroudn but it would be amazing if they actually puffed out steam like real ones do too.

CharlesH.

Jul 31, 2004
my house
ding chavez said:
is there any way to have a model "steam" engine actually puff out steam for a while? short of having a little steam engine in there? its cool to see them riding aroudn but it would be amazing if they actually puffed out steam like real ones do too.

As far as I know, the only way to make a "steam" engine to smoke is to install a smoke generator in it. The down side to that is that the smoke tends to settle on the layout forming these oily deposits all over the place.

Unless you get yourself one of those Hornby OO scale live steamers.

ding chavez

Jan 17, 2006
Philadelphia, Pa
CharlesH. said:
As far as I know, the only way to make a "steam" engine to smoke is to install a smoke generator in it. The down side to that is that the smoke tends to settle on the layout forming these oily deposits all over the place.

Unless you get yourself one of those Hornby OO scale live steamers.

wow, i just looked the hornby up. thats awesome, i didnt know they had anything like that.