4% grade

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Hard to say without testing but a 4% is steep in any language when prototypes try to stay under 2%. On my previous layout I had a 2% grade with 18 inch radius and it took two Atlas GP 40 locos to pull twenty cars up the slope. I did have a couple of instances where cars got pulled off the track near the front of the train because of the weight of the following cars.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Most of the grades on my layout are 4% (in real life here the ruling grade is 5.1%). I have a Atlas B23-7 with a Model Power C-420 shell on it. It will pull about 10-15 cars up it from a rolling start, from a standing start about 4 to 7. All my cars are weighted although my open hoppers are not as heavy as it's hard to find places in em' to put the weight :( , which is why the amount of cars can vary.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I'm no physicist but I imagine a 4% straight track wouldn't be bad but the curve throws...well, a curve into it! I'd expect occasional derailments. Are you hoping to raise the track high enough to pass over another with that grade?
Ralph

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Thank you all for reply.
According to Tyson it should be O.K.
And yes Ralph I hope to raise the track enough to pass over another one.
I plan to build the "Granite, Gorge and Northern" from John Armstrong in a 3'10"" by 7' 6" in N-scale.

Paul