3ds warrior bug help

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by rlc321, Feb 16, 2007.

1. rlc321

rlc321 Gundam designer wannabe

i downloaded this 3ds file of a warrior bug and want to make it into a card model now there is far too many triangles and i want to reduce them plus i will need to change the colour scheme as well, so any help on this would be great.
    i have included a pic of all the triangles that i need to clean up but keep the basic shape.
    ps i am using metasequa.

Attached Files:

2. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Ooooh man, I always thought this would be a very cool model!

I have also downloaded the 3DS mesh and was trying to figure out a way to simplify it because it really doesn't need to be that complicated in order to make a paper model of the bug.

I commend you and thank you for attempting to design this model and look forward to seeing the progress of your work. Good Luck!!!

Best to you,
    Ron Caudillo
  3. Sumato

Sumato Member

It looks like you are going to have to reduce the poly count somehow. I'm not sure if Meta. has it, but in 3DS max it is called 'Optimise' mesh. You may also be able to use the Vertex Weld function, by setting the tolerance up high enough to start combining the segments, but it may get a little harrowing, depending on how it will react. You should also inspect this mesh VERY thoroughly, especially for intersecting geometry (IE legs attaching to body, etc...) which will cause problems when unfolding.

You may want to just design your own. You can make a series of 3-view drawings from THIS mesh, if you like, and use it as reference. I personally never use another person's mesh for my own design,for two reasons:

1-CG and 3D designers usually DID NOT design the mesh with the intent of making a paper model from it, which leads to a lot of extreaneous detail and information in the mesh which will not model well. Additionally, when I design my own stuff, I do it entirely with the mindset of making a model from it, right from the start.

2-I intend to copyright it and sell it.

Just remember that all great models actually happen in the planning stage, and this particular model WAS NOT designed with you or your intentions in mind.
  4. rlc321

rlc321 Gundam designer wannabe

hi sumato i agree totally with what you say but i am not too good with 3d stuff hence downlaod mesh, but i iwll be changing it, changing colour scheme adding stuff and the like so it no longer resembles the original basically ill just be usig it as a basis which shouldnt upset any one if i am correct.just need to dimb it down a bit so to speak and any help would be appreciated. thank you
  5. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Sorry to drag out an old thread, but its relevant:

I designed this model using jim Hartman's 2.5-D miniature. You can download it on my website. www.freewebs.com/paragon19/other.htm