3Dmodel what is in .OBJ format

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by NOBI, Feb 26, 2005.

1. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi There,

as u know that im familiar with .MQO or Metaseq's model but after last model what i convert from Quake's model make me know .OBJ or Wavefront format, OBJ format impress me very much and i want to know that format is come from which program? Truespace? TurboCAD? or Lightwave?

thank you very much in advance :D
  2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

3. Kugelfang

Kugelfang Member

Ahh... my favorite format! *.obj is orginally from Alias Wavefront. Over the years it has become a very common format that most 3d modelling applications can import/export. Most of the features noted in wunwinglow's link aren't found in most *.obj models. Usually you'll find v, vt, vn, g, and f. One thing that is missing from that description are the material files. Typically, an *.obj model will have a 'matllib' statement at the beginning which refers to a separate file. This file (*.mtl) contains information regarding graphic textures used in the model.

Let me know if you want more details or samples. I've been using this format for years.

4. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi There,

Thank you very much for fast information, i really want to know which program can handle with .OBJ without loss UV mapping data, i try to do in Metaseq but when i do anything with mesh such as boolean...UV mapping will be gone :D so any advise?

Thank you very much in advance...
  5. Kugelfang

Kugelfang Member

Hi NOBI,

Since I use Wings3D for most of my modeling (which does not deal with UV coordinates at all) I almost always make sure I have all my geometry complete before creating UV maps. For that, I usually use Ultimate Unwrap or UVMapper. If you want to do simple scaling, translation or rotations, both of these programs will do that. But if you want to do more complicated editing to the model they're not much help. Since moving to Linux I have used Blender (www.blender.org, there is a Windows version available) to work on *.obj models and it does maintain the UV coordinates, though it will not automatically load the textures--but you can do that manually once you have the model in Blender. But Blender is a difficult program to learn and my skills in it are pretty undeveloped. AC3D seems to have the code in its obj import plugin to keep the UV coordinates, but I've never been able to get it to work correctly when importing *.obj models.

Most other programs I've used just ignore the *.mtl files that are referenced in the *.obj. So, it may be that they maintain the UV coords, but just don't know what textures to use.

6. Gil

Gil Active Member

Any indication when UU3D will release 3.0?

7. Kugelfang

Kugelfang Member

No idea, Gil.

I'm still using one of the early 2 versions. Though, I just checked the site and see that he's added unfolding as one of the UV mapping options. Looks pretty good but I suspect it will only let you save the map in raster format. Ouch! The price has gone up, too.