3D Scanning with my Camera and Projector

Discussion in 'Software' started by Argha, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Argha

Argha New Member

Check out some of these 3D scans i found for this FlexScan3D Scanner. :twisted:

3D scanning with a digital camera and projector, that's incredible! For that price, I'm going to have to think hard about grabbing a copy, as everything else I've seen for actual 3d scans is way way more!

2. nx13688

nx13688 Member

If you don't already have a suitable camera and projector, the NextEngine scanner is a little more turnkey and would probably save you a few bucks. I was seriously considering getting one, but the larger scan size and non-dedicated hardware of the FlexScan3D are making me think it might work a little better for my purposes. Thanks for the link.
  3. Argha

Argha New Member

You're completely correct, the NextEngine seems to be a more turnkey type solution, but the flexScan is $1499, and when i've got a camera and projector handy, that's pretty appealing. I guess these days if you look around you could probably get a camera and projector for under 1K.

I'm kind of a power user, and the ability to get high-resolution images and have a lot more control is more appealing to me than a more limited box. Plus afterwards i can watch movies and take pictures with my hardware lol.

I wanted to add i found a bunch of different products like http://www.photomodeler.com/ that let you do it without a projector, with less points though.
  4. xyberz

xyberz Member

That's a pretty cool machine.

You know with a little bit of ingenuity and time, you could just use a digital camera and some homemade parts to take various angle shots of things you want to make into a 3D model.

Then with those pictures, you can import them into a program and just design over that.

Just a thought. :wink:
  5. Bad_Scorpion

Bad_Scorpion Member

xyberz, yes you could do it that way but if you had a tool like one of the two they posted that can scan an object and convert it to 3d model in about 5 minutes. Or do it your way and take 5 days or more if your an verage 3d modeler like myself or some others. Which would you choose? Something that take less time and leaves more time to adjust for your needs or take the time to build it from scratch, which admitadely is rather interesting and satisfying in many ways. I would still build things from scratch, because I wouldn't always have good reference material to use. Just would be nice for some of those 3d objects don't have any other reference material for. But also texture mapping would not be such a pain as some objects are.

Would be nice for those quick models.
  6. xyberz

xyberz Member

Of course I'd rather do it the faster and easier way if possible, but not all of us can afford such machines now can we? :wink:

I wish I had a few thousand bucks in my account now, that machine would be mine yesterday. LoL
  7. Bad_Scorpion

Bad_Scorpion Member

Same, here but now if we could find one of those ingenius modelers that also dabbles in software maybe we could get a cheaper version or maybe the flexscan3d could put out a Lite, lite, lite, lite, lite, very lite version so wouldn't kill our pockets. That would be nice as my wife has a professional camera that I'm sure she wouldn't mind setting up so I could use it with her supervision for 5 minutes. I'm looking around, emailed a few of these manufaturers, see if there was any plan for a lite version of software and/or hardware. There has to be something out there that can do something similar maybe even an opensource app. Opensource is really the tech hippies trying to fight the power of the big companies. So I'm sure someone out there is working on or has worked on soemething like this. We just have to find it.
  8. xyberz

xyberz Member

I wouldn't doubt that. I'm always on the lookout for the DIY type of things.

I love the feeling building something myself if possible rather than having it purchased directly from the store, especially if I know it can save me lots of money and I can customize it to my needs and specifications.
  9. Argha

Argha New Member

Looks like they do have a light light student edition for $299 -
  10. Bad_Scorpion

Bad_Scorpion Member

they still need to make it lite'r. hey I get money to toy with but I also have bills. I wouldn't mind so much if it was a little cheaper than that. But For now I think I may have found a temporary answer. Someone I know knows someone else that has one of these types of apps and I'm trying to work with him when I can to see if we can't make one using this method. I wont say of what just yet but should be fairly nice and unique.
  11. ReverseModeling

ReverseModeling New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm Ray with Reverse Modeling. I am a reseller of FlexScan3D and other products.

Rather than spam you with a sales pitch, If you have any questions about anything related to FlexScan3D or 3D scanning in general please let me know.

Reverse Modeling