3D models available, anyone want to make them cardmodels?

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Zeuser, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Zeuser

Zeuser New Member

Hi, I'm Zeuser one of the founders and the lead programmer for the Battlefield2 modification called Rising Conflicts.

It's a free modification for BF:2 and we're actively working on getting the first release out to the public.

So how does this relate to cardmodeling you ask? We have some beautifully skinned 3D models for our mod. Here's some samples of in-game models that will be in our first release:

Mi-40 helicopter:

We also have hand weapons and ground vehicles will be showing up soon and quite possibly some boats. We've got plenty of models, even some from our previous project, DCX, so there's a good supply of 3D models for anyone who needs them.

What we would like to do is get a carmodeler on board to help promote Rising Conflicts. There are mutual benefits in this cross-hobby project such as:

1 - Rising Conflicts (RC) gets some advertising.
    2 - RC gets a bit more "WOW" factor.
    3 - Cardmodelers get a good supply of high detailed skinned 3D models.
    4 - Cardmodelers get access to highly skilled 3D modelers to help out.
    5 - Cardmodeling as a hobby gets an extra boost as the thousands of RC fans might come over and pick up a new hobby.

Exact details would need to be worked out but the general idea are these:

1 - RC supplies the 3D models
    2 - Cardmodeler builds a downloadable document to make a cardmodel
    3 - Finished product, probably an Adobe .PDF file, is available for download for free to both the gaming community and cardmodeling community.

So, the big question: Can it be done?

Keep in mind that I have no experience in carmodeling but I find it a really cool hobby that I want to pick up. Ok... I'll be honest, I mostly want to build those RC models and put them on my desk. :D

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

For more on Rising Conflicts, visit http://www.risingconflicts.com
  2. Zeuser

Zeuser New Member

More models:

RAH-66 Comanche:

Mig 1.44:
  3. modelincard

modelincard Member

Would if I could, but I can't.[​IMG]At least...for now.[​IMG]Pepukara designer has some capibility to do that (I think) but I only have the free demo version. Seeing those 3D models though, I could be convinced to get the full version sometime (I only have so much weekly alowence).
  4. Zeuser

Zeuser New Member

I saw that post, forget where it is actually, about converting a Star Wars AT-ST that was originally made for Quake, or was it half-life? Anyway, it would be along the same lines.

If our modeler agrees, we could possibly allow converting the models of our previous project, DCX (http://www.DCXtended.com), to cardmodels too.

DCX was our modification for the battlefield 1942 game. Once Battlefield 2 came out we started our second project, RC. The cardmodels we'd really like to see are for the RC models, but maybe some DCX models could also be done.

Here's some of the models from our previous project, DCX:

AH-64D Apache Longbow:

KA-25 Hormone:

5. Zeuser

Zeuser New Member

More DCX models:

Several Humvee variations:

T-90 with mineplow:

AH-1W Cobra:

6. Zeuser

Zeuser New Member

Still more DCX models:

And there are several more, which I don't have renders of at this time, including ...

- Land Rovers (4 variations)
    - Avro Arrow Nos. 201 & 205
    - Avro Arrow PS2 (Black "fantasy" model)
    - Sepecat Jaguar
    - Tornado
    - Bucaneer
    - Mark V speedboat
    - Type 42 destroyer
    - DDG Oscar Austin Destroyer
    - Lynx attack helicopter
    - Lynx marine helicopter
    - Mig-25
    - Akula attack Submarine
    - 688i attack submarine
    - Trafalgar attack submarine
    - Challenger tank
    - Warrior APC

and many more I just can't remember right now.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Zeuser,

Beautiful models and welcome to the forum, we are glad to have you. I personally dont have the free time to attempt them models although they would be lovely card models.
    And the polygon count on models that are able to be unfolded in the "Pepakura designer" unfolder program has to be low.....really low compared to some 3d models I have seen. And Pepakura is limited in the type files it can unfold also. I know it will unfold .lwo and .3ds and .obj files as well as a few others but it wont unfold "all" 3d type files.
    We do however has several designers who are members and there are other ppl who enjoy "dabbling" in creating models (which is about what I do.....dabble haha). Maybe someone will have a go of it for you.
    I am senior machinist at a transformer factory and with all the recent natural disasters, I have had all vacation cancelled, my work hours increased to 12 hr shifts and I sleep about half of the 12 hours I am away from work, so as you can see, when I say there isnt enough hours in the day for me to play with them....although I would love to, they are beautiful meshes.
    Anyway, I wanted to welcome you to the forum and let you know that maybe someone will take you up on the offer.

Have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  8. Zeuser

Zeuser New Member

These models follow a lower poly count guideline as well since they're meant for a game. The poly count is probably higher than normal though. But the models can be broken up into several bits to make it easier.

The models could also be modified a bit to be easier for paper modeling while still retaining the right look so that the paper model still looks like our in-game models.

If highly sophisticated paper models like this can be done:

Source: http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/entertainment/papercraft/realistic/yzf-r1/index.html

Surely our game models can also be done?

That's what I'm really hoping for. And unlike some other 3D models, you'll have our authorisation as well as our assistance to accomplish this.

We just don't have anybody in our mod team that's capable of doing paper models at all. But we are interested in the hobby to help promote RC, as explained in my first post.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy again Zeuser,

I thought I would share the link to the "Pepakura designer" with you. If you have the models completed, you are about 75% of the way to having a card model.
    First the link to the download: http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/ then click on "pepakura designer" download, not the viewer.
    Now you said the models are already a low poly count, so you might try opening one in the designer as is, But....... i bet the models will have to be broken down into sub assemblies, and probably should be anyway. How many sub assemblies depend on the poly count of the parts you are trying to unfold. But, if you know your way around 3d models, then you know how to break the model into multiple parts. This will be a trial and error process, "break off" a small portion of a model and then try to open that "portion" in the pepakura designer. once you get the part in the designer, then you will be able to position it and then "unfold" it by clicking on "create development" it will then unfold the "portion/subassembly" and even add the "tabs" required for gluing the parts together.
    Like I said it is a "trial and error" process but you repeat the process until you have broken down the entire model and unfolded all the sub assemblies.
    Having printed out the unfolded parts, its just a matter of cutting them out and assembling them.
    I am still realitively new at all this myself, and other ppl here could explain better I am sure, Mainly I just wanted to give you the link to the "Pepakura designer/unfolder". That way you can try it out and play with it abit unfolding some simple things first, like spheres and cubes etc to get the hang of the program.
    But dont give up, like I said, this forum is full of helpful ppl and I am sure someone would be willing to help you out or at the very least get you started on your way to making the models come to "life".

I hope this has been of some help to you, have a good evening I am gonna haveta go find something for supper.

Greg aka GW
  10. Willja67

Willja67 Member

How compatible are your models with Rhino? I would love to get my hands on some of your models if they could be edited in Rhino. The biggest problem I think you will run into with this group is not a lack of enthusiasm (we've got plenty of that), but most if not all of us don't do cardmodeling for our livelihoods and therefore projects frequently get put on the back burner. I'd love to help you out but I've got work and school to compete with my hobby and others are in the same boat. If you were willing to wait awhile for the models then great I'm sure a few of us would be willing to take on a project.
  11. barry

barry Active Member

Oh how I wish I was good enough to try but my available software and abilities are too low to come up to your standard of work.
  12. bigtom

bigtom Member

Your models are gorgous!

I work in TV (Editor) and my 3d guy is DROOLING,,,,
  13. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

I would be willing to try the switchblade fighter. If I can get the model in a standard format (.3ds, .3dm, .dxf, .dwg, .lwo, .raw, .obj, ect...) Basicly, anything that Rhino3D will open. (I don't have 3dsMax, only Gmax) I know some formats will lose the textures but I can deal with that as long as I have at least one file with them.

I to am on high production at work for the year end run since we are over a month behind, however I certainly will but effort forth to get a model done (well, provided you don't want it by next week (unlikely, but who knows really, heh, I don't need to sleep.)).

O, I did some modding of BF:1942 for personal amusement too (no good textures, I suck at textures...I do models) anyone ever wanted to drive a WWII P1000 costal defense tank?

Anyways, just send me a PM on this formum or post in this topic if you think I could help.
  14. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1717 for thread of Gaming model to Papermodel

modified 3dmodel into papermodel is not hard to do, problem is UV mapping. i use metaseq (what compatible with pepakura and can deal very well with uv mapping) to modified AT-ST from Quake into Papermodel. when i modifed quake's mesh, UV mapping have been change and need to re-work in mapping.

i think i can do papermodel from your models but i need your help too. i will modifed mesh to compatible with papermodel and then send back to you to re-mapping then i will unfold in pepakura and make instruction. after that u will know how to do papermodel from 3dmodel and can modified the rest of your models

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy again Zeuser,

I knew someone would "jump" on these, If I was you I would "jump on" these offers....all of them. Like NOBI said, he was the modeler who did the AT ST model you mentioned earlier and is the owner/operator of www.thaipaperwork.com Be sure to stop by and look at his work.
    Like I said, the ppl here are more than willing to help when they can.

have a good evening,

Greg aka GW
  16. Gil

Gil Active Member

The following would information would be nice:

o What software was used to develop the models?
    o What file format are the objects?
    o What file format is the texture maps?
    o Were any uv painters used?

17. tino

tino Member

Hi to all,
    Well I think that it is great.

I also want to build them.
  18. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I don't have the time to take this on, but for those of you who do but dont' know where to begin I suggest you take a look at this:

go to designing paper models, looks like a good walk-thru.

He shows you the exact steps he too to do the exact thing that is required here.
  19. Zeuser

Zeuser New Member

Well, there seems to be some interest in this.

The RC mod is actually pretty laid back. It's kind of a "work on it when you can" attitude. And we would like somebody to jump onboard to help us out with the card models. We can probably do it ourselves with the software you guys mentioned, but I'd prefer someone who knows what they're doing.

And if you're a fan of PC games, especially BF:2, that's an extra bonus for you as you can try out our mod before anyone else.

I'll have a chat with "the board" and see if we can release a public model for some of you guys to try out. If it works out, we'd sure be interested in having someone onboard.

After my chat with "the board", i'll get in touch with some of you guys that are really interested in this and see what we can work out.

The end result: I'd really like to see card model versions of our in-game models pop up here for everyone to download and build. It would be fun for everyone. :D

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Zeuser

Well, I am glad to see that your 3d models may soon become "physical 3d" models, I knew you would have several offers to help, the ppl here are all good ppl.

Have a good day,

Greg aka GW