3d model program?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Support Forum' started by m9rfzzy, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Backward designing is becoming very popular. That is true. I use Rhino3D which supports an arm for digitizing. Converting the Meshes to Surfaces means having to Duplicate the surfaces edges to try and form the shape in Rhino. In essence, this is hit or miss. I have done this many times and it is a lot of work.

The fact that it exports to .obj files would make it a good candidate for Google Sketchup. The fact is, it is FREE, and that is really good. If you were to make a clay model of something, like a car body etc, this could really be a nice way to digitize the surface. :)
  2. tanaka

tanaka New Member

A 3D program is proposed by trubosquid ( and it's free ) , it's GMAX
  3. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I forgot about GMAX. I almost started using that before i purchased Rhino. :)
  4. snark1950

snark1950 New Member

Rhino looks good but that only $1000 part gets me
  5. Zathros

Zathros Guest

You can buy it used on EBAY and if you happen to be in school of any sort, it's only like $189.00, a full working version! :)
  6. RandallFlagg13

RandallFlagg13 New Member

THanks for this thread. I was having same issue.
  7. Estelinha

Estelinha New Member

Sketchup is good, but if you use thr Pro version. The standard version doens't export 3d models, only 2d graphics.
  8. Haereticus

Haereticus Member

There are Ruby plugins for Sketchup that will allow .obj file export.

I'm just going to plug Wings 3D again, mostly because it's the only program I've ever tried that lets you tumble and pan the camera without changing into a special mode. It lacks a lot, like Boolean functions, but I find those are compensated for by the general intuitiveness of the UI.
  9. Zathros

Zathros Guest

That's a nice list there. It's getting to the point where you can do almost everything free it seems, which is good as so few people seem to have any money anyways!! :)
  10. You can say that again. BTW, if someone's looking for free 3D software, don't forget the limited time DAZ bundle mentioned in the other thread. Unforch the Hexagon modeler included is only for export to DAZ studio, but it's free. I'm kind of enjoying checking out Bryce 7, though it's a bit crash prone (always click save often with 3D programs).

11. Psyscape

Psyscape Member

Is it? You mean they removed all the export filters from the software? That sucks. The version I have exports to several formats including obj, dwg, stl and dxf. Ah well, it is a promotion I guess and Studio can export scaled obj for various other software packs.
  12. Doh! Newbie boo-boo. I was just looking at the "save as" and didn't see it had an export capability at the bottom. It apparently exports in formats for Carrera, Amapi, OBJ, 3DS, DWG, DXF, and Second Life Sculptie.

I stand corrected.

13. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I'm happy for the info. Any info!! I haven't opened anything yet, too may other things on the table. :)
  14. Psyscape

Psyscape Member

Well that's quite a relief, but it wouldn't have been the first time a company had ripped functionality out of something during a promotion. I have a couple here from another company that are all but useless because they "fixed" them. Anyway, good to hear that the export filters are present in Hex. Thanks for checking.
  15. yazzy

yazzy New Member

I like Rhino the best.

Google stechup I am still learning to use.

I have about 20 programs I have tried and like and dislike. Bought a bunch while in IRAQ for cheap.

try google though its free and gets new updates all the time.
  16. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I detest programs that create models out of those "billion" triangles. That is where Rhino has them all beat.
  17. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

I should give Rhino a try. I studied game design & programming at University and we used Softimage XSI. Very expensive program but awesome, does 3D models and animation.

My first ever 3D editor was "Worldcraft", a shareware editor used to create Quake maps. Written in the mid 90s. It was actually utterly awesome, some of the best tools in it I've seen in 3D programs. And easy too. One of the things I disliked about Blender was it was obvious it should be as easy to use as Worldcraft, but wasn't. Worldcraft was sooooo good Valve hired the creator a year later. Haven't used any of the later versions.
  18. kbkline

kbkline Member

Rhino is a good program. I have 3d Max but don't fully understand it :)
  19. zathros

zathros SENIOR Administrator

3D Max is really intended for animation and probably one of the worst programs you could use for making paper models. I also have 3DS Max, and the proprietary nature of their programming, i.e., it's incompatibility with everything, will relegate it to the dustbin of history as more, and cheaper software starts to appear.

You statement "I have 3d Max but don't fully understand it" is shared by everyone I know it, including myself, except the animators I know that use it, and they do not make paper models with it, they do incredible animation.

Rhino is also used in the animation/movie world. The sets of many movies are made in Rhino, then exported to other programs to be textured. The original Spider Man movies had their sets done in Rhino.

Rhino3D isn't cheap either, but if you are a student, it can be had legitimately, fully working, just like the commercial version, for $199 which is an incredible deal. :)