3d model program?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Support Forum' started by m9rfzzy, Sep 14, 2011.

1. m9rfzzy

m9rfzzy hobo

high Im somewhat a noob :D but heck this realization wont stop me from asking the dumb questions... I'm new to papercraft kinda but i've made a few models and i'm having tons of fun... now im setting my sights higher e.e Some of the models i really want i either can't find or are hiding from me .__. Solution! Make it :D ... who knows might work , that being said. I'm tech handicapped. So decided to ask a few questions.

Any one recomend a good software (Preferably freeware) for rendering models that is noob friendly?

Also is there any tutorial sites for this that could be of some help?

Sorry if im asking in the wrong place but i kinda consider this as part of the whole when it comes to the hobby ^^

anyhow thank you in advance for reading and double thanks if any info is provided D:

*more proof im a noob, didnt mean to post in this section of forum. sorry. @_@
  2. Well, you're in luck. As it happens, the easiest to use and most card-model friendly 3D modeler/CAD program is also free: Google Sketchup. Actually there is a $500 paid version, but there's really no need for that. The most significant difference is that the paid version exports in the AutoCad and other file formats, but there are ways to export from the free program if you want (I've yet to have the need, myself).

You can save pages as bitmap images, though. I've also found at least one free plugin, the Unfold Tool, that can lay out a model flat for creating a card model. You'd probably have to divide the model into manageable sections to that, but it should work.

Google makes Sketchup available so that users can add models to Google Earth, but it's used for much more than that. Woodworkers use it to quickly design projects. The great think is that there's a huge community contributing to it. Google's 3D Warehouse is a vast depository of free models and components and there are hundreds of user created Rails plugins available that add custom features to the program. And there's tons of tutorial info on the web.

Here's some links:

3. m9rfzzy

m9rfzzy hobo

I love you for life. Thanks ^^ looks like a great place to start... ._. though now to find out how to export... too google D:
  4. Zathros

Zathros Guest

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers, of which I have many. Actually, there are stupid questions, you have not posed any though. :)
  5. JHSurf

JHSurf Member

The only stupid question is the one that is not asked... Zathros will let you know if you shouldn't have asked something. :mrgreen:
  6. m9rfzzy

m9rfzzy hobo

There are no stupid questions asked yet!!! D: Dont doubt my capabilities or prepared to be amazed :p *Sadly out of questions atm* but as i look at this program a guarantee more to come ^^
  7. If you mean you want to export a file out of Sketchup, the best way I've heard is to simply use Blender, a free open-source 3D modeler. I actually first heard this from a Google guy.

1. Download and install Blender.

2. In Sketchup, go to File > Export and save the file in .dae format (Collada format).

3. In Blender, use a Collada importer & 3DS exporter to convert. This might call for hunting up an importer plugin for Blender, but there's lots of stuff around.

Eventually, you might actually decide you'd rather model in Blender, which can do a lot of things Sketchup can't, but the learning curve is a whole lot steeper with it, so I'd still suggest starting with Sketchup.
  8. m9rfzzy

m9rfzzy hobo

Thanks for the tip.. I now have both dl'ed.. guess all i can do is practice atm :) will report how im coming along and maybe i can advance to blender... *Loaded that and like Q.e yeah will probably be a while* XD but Rome wasn't built in a day either. :D if i make anything worth while in the process ill defiantly share... ( never know *insert analogy of monkeys writing Shakespeare*)
  9. Tirick

Tirick Member

Myself I use solely Blender for the models; GIMP for the textures, and Pepakura for unfolds (not free though). I found Sketchup a little too cumbersome, although some people find Blender too challenging to model in (earlier versions have a pretty steep learning curve).

10. m9rfzzy

m9rfzzy hobo

thanks for the tips. ill try to get myself up to bender level asap. Having trouble devoting as much time to it as id hope. but the programs are fairly entertaining for trial and error.
  11. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

The most important thing to remember with any modeling program is to never give up. It may seem daunting at first but eventually you'll be creating masterpieces! :D
    d5j4vu likes this.
  12. jim_bow

jim_bow New Member

I've been doing the same as Tirick. I started using blender because I wanted to make mods for games and when I drifted into paper crafting I found the techniques were easily transferable.

If you go down the Blender route I would recommend doing a few of the tutorials here:http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro#Table_of_Contents
    Not all of them are relevant but they helped me a lot, especially the ones about UV mapping.

Good luck!
  13. m9rfzzy

m9rfzzy hobo

Thanks alot and i will definatly take a look at the tutorials :)
    really appreciate the helpful tips from you all.
  14. brivette007

brivette007 New Member

Yeah, Google sketchup is a great program. I've used it several times. My favorite, though, is 3dsmax, but you have to pay for that one. (Or in my case use it at my university)
  15. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I am a Rhino die hard. You can import most formats, export into most, and for modeling, you get surfaces that aren't made out of a billion little triangles. It is excellent for unfolding smashing and squishing parts too, and then there are hidden little secrets! :)
  16. geyrch33

geyrch33 New Member

I have been using Blender for a long time already though it seems only to work well on the entry level of 3d rendering. If you are familiar with Big Buck Bunny, you might as well know that the whole animation has been rendered through there.

You still need to use photoshop or gimp to map out textures though and you should also learn how to try it out.
  17. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I think that making many models helps out a lot. I made many models once but for personal/physical reasons have stopped over the last 2 years. I have some coming down the pipe though and building can give you great insight on how to make something.
  18. PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss Member

Something that might help some people: http://www.david-laserscanner.com/

It's a setup for 3d scanning at home. You just need a webcam, a hand-held line laser (that projects a line, not a point), two plain surfaces for a backdrop, and their freeware software. (They also have starter kits including all of this stuff if you just want to get it all in one place, but it's a lot cheaper to get it yourself separately.)

Basically, you point the webcam at the object you're scanning, in front of your angled backdrop, and sweep the line laser across it. The software takes the distortion of the line over the surface and extrapolates it into 3d geometry. It's pretty much awesome in a can.
  19. Zathros

Zathros Guest

That's more for reverse engineering. The amount of work you would have to do to develop surfaces to make into a model, well, it seems like one more step. It would be great for making molds especially if you had an appropriate CNC center.
  20. PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss Member

True, but if you already have an object you're trying to copy it'd be useful. Like if you're trying to model a vehicle from a toy.