35MM SLR, Conversion to Digital Format

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by Sticky Fingers, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Anyone know if there is a kit available to convert older 35mm's to a digital format from film?????????????????????????????
  2. jlinscheid

jlinscheid Member

I may be missing something, but a scanner perhaps?
  3. Kaz

Kaz Member

35mm to Digital

Unless , of course, you mean the 'old' 35mm transparancies, slides. You need a slide scanner (expensive) or a slide converter to a usual scanner. Knowing you lot, you would probably build a mirror prism and get the light reflected back through the slide, or you could get a scanner with a light source built in the lid. A word of warning though, it will take a loooong time to scan slides to a usable state, reckoning that you want to output to 6 x 4 inches the slide will need to be magnified to around 400 % of its current size, given that the pictures you see in magazines are usually at 72 dpi then you need to scan at about 400 to 600 dpi (remember that the increase in output is multiplied by 400) to get a workable 100 dpi image.
    sorry to ramble
  4. I meant the camera itself. I asked the question on acouple of other forums and the concensus is the cost if possible outweighs any benefits
  5. angevine

angevine Member

6. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Sticky Fingers...Silicon Film I believe their name was, once announced they were developing a drop-in cartridge similar in size to a 35mm film cartridge a 35mm camera which would shoot digital and all you had to do was plug the cartridge into your computer after it was full and download the photos. But that was three or four years ago. A year or so later, I read they abandoned the idea because of problems they were encountering and that digital cameras with better quality and size were coming out cheaper than their product would be sold at.

Their idea is really the only sound way to convert a 35mm film camera to digital. As the other forums mentioned, it would be a lot cheaper to buy a 35mm digital than have a film version converted.

You can get some really decent deals on low end Canon, Minolta and Nikon digital cameras (brands listed aphabetically, and coincidentally in my ranking of quality). Canon's original digital Rebel is running in the neighborhood of $600 at some places, and Minolta is fixing to, if they haven't already, release a low end digital with image stabilization built into the camera itself, and exellent feature for telephoto shooting. It too should run about $600, maybe $700. As for Nikon, I don't keep up with their junk as I had a really bad experience with their "best camera"...I think the F1...years ago and swore I would never again say anything nice about that brand.

I currently have a digital Canon Rebel which works just fine with the lenses I used with my Canon A2, 35mm film camera. I love the camera even though it is only 6 megapixels image size, the photos are great. I can't wait until I can upgrade image size to a newer Canon digital.
  7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Angevine's link was pretty informative (Thanks Angevine) Looks like it would be way better, easier, less of a hassle, to go with a digital SLR.

Quick fixes on old tech just never seem to work out...........cassette adapters for 8-track tape players just seem to come to mind.

Yes..........I'm that old :oops:

8. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I think a better use of both technologies is to be able to use the lenses from an old 35mm camera on a new body, I think some of the High end Nikon Digitals can use the 35mm lens, but your talking a digital camera in the $4000-$10000 range.

I know it sucks, I have my Minolta Maxum camera with a whole host of lens just gathering dust in my closet, But it just doesn't pay to do anything with it. I don't think its even worth my time selling it on ebay.
  9. Thanks guys. I decided to bite the bullet last night and just get a new digital with an integrated zoom lens. Went with a Kodak P850 for a couple of reasons. One is all of the SLR type digitals (the ones with the electronic viewfinders) with the exception of the Kodaks and the Sony's use 4 AA batteries rather than Lithium Ion's. Quess I'll just keep the 35MM for film work.

10. rowiac

rowiac Member

Canon's Digital Rebel is a digital SLR that uses the standard Canon 35mm AF lenses. You can find the latest one (8.0 megapixel) for less than $900 without a lens. That's probably the route I will take eventually since my Canon 35mm SLR and lenses are just collecting dust. However, I use a 4 megapixel point-and-shoot most of the time because it fits in my pocket.

11. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I have a Nikon F501. Somewhere. I am not exactly sure where I have stored it! I don't think I have used it for at least 4 years..... They call it progress, apparently!

Tim P
  12. possm_23

possm_23 Guest

i only paid about $150 for my digital camera....has 4 meg pixels....works great...but im not doin professional pics...im just an every day joe....lol

ps ..jleslie48 ......if its too much trouble to sell...just mail it to me....lmao
  13. Kaz

Kaz Member

Film versus Digital

Ohh you people.... did you know that a 35mm negative contains about 22 million silver halides per colour layer at 100 iso/asa and you trade that in for a 4 or 5 million pixel camera, thats not progress, thats marketing
  14. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

If I was going to take the time to pack it up to mail, then I WOULD sell it.

Oh and the 5-million to 22-million color scheme argument. Dont' forget the convience and long term expense. I'm taking 100x more pics now that I have gone digital.
  15. possm_23

possm_23 Guest

sorry if i offended you..........
  16. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Thats the same reason everyone ends up with 'Word' on their computers, when what they really need is 'Wordpad'.....

Tim P
  17. k5083

k5083 Member

You said it Kaz.

For me the most cost-effective solution, long term or short term, is my good old film SLR and a film scanner like the $500 5400dpi Konica Elite Scan 5400 (that's 42 megapixels from a 35mm neg for you digital boys). Buy ordinary print film at $2 a roll and have it developed (no prints) for another $3 a roll. 20 cents a pic, way higher resolution and quality than even the next generation of digicams will produce, and the negs will yield still better results with the next generation of scanners. And my 25-year-old lenses work great.

18. Gil

Gil Active Member

Anyone know if Minolta has plans for a camera similar to the Rebel? I have a collection that's collecting dust also.

19. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

20. Gil

Gil Active Member

Looks like my next camera..., now to find $899.99...,