33 years ago....

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
33 years ago today that the Edmund Fitzgerald sank taking with it all 29 crew memebers in a storm on the big lake. Im a big follower of the event, cant quite decide who I believe on why it happened though. Just read a book, several good points for all cases, but its hard to tell.

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
I've always been interested in it myself, the more so because it is so well preserved.

Brave men.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I'm glad you posted that Kevin. The anniversary of the loss of the Fitzgerald always moves me, especially after years of visiting Lake superior, watching the Arthur Anderson (the last ship in contact with The Fitz) glide out of the Duluth canal, and seeing Split Rock Lighthouse which is illuminated the night of Nov 10th in honor of the lost crew.

I tend to favor the theory that they bottomed out on a shoal in heavy seas and took in water without knowing it until it was too late.

Here's a photo of Split Rock Lighthouse I took during a long weekend trip "Up North" my wife and I took in October.
IMG_0519.jpg

God be with all sailors.

Ralph

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
Around the age of ten, is when I really began to take an intrest in the ships, beyond them just being big boats, and with my interest in the DMIR I am very familiar with Great lakes shipping also, and the Anderson was the first boat I remeber seeing in Two Harbors, I remember sitting out on the peir with my mom and dad for a long time one night as it came in from Duluth and made a hell of a manouver into the Two Harbors docks. Quite the thing to watch at night.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
I certainly remember the night it happened,I was 9 years old and it was plastered all over the TV.Of course living in Duluth it was a huge story in these parts.I could only imagine the coverage it would have received today with the internet and cable/dish TV.