33" wheel sets

jimnrose

I'm in trouble again & looking for a savior.
Most freight cars have plastic wheels and I bought a large quantity of Kaydee wheels only to find out they won't fit the trucks.
Intermountain and Photo 2000 wheels work fine. Questions:
1. Does anyone know whose trucks will accept Kaydee wheels (diameter is 90 mils versus 60 for Intermountain and Photo)?
2. Photo 2000 are ribbed (only option at model shop). I looked undere a magnifier and couldn't see (or feel) and ribs> Does anyone know how small the ribs are? Also are ribbed wheels perferred?
I need to buy a batch of metal wheels and need to decide on either Intermountain or Photo 2000's ribbed or smooth wheels.
Thanks, Jim

George

Hello Jim!

Perhaps the best way around this is to try and purchase truck frames from Kadee which will fit their wheels? I don't know of they sell truck frames, but it seems like the logical way to go. If they do, perhaps your dealer will do a credited swap.

Good Luck.

George.

Gary Pfeil

Jim, The Kadee wheelsets work in Athearn and MDC cars, at least. I just read in one of the magazines that Red Caboose cars would require the Intermountain wheelsets. Beyond that, I really can't help you. Concerning ribbed versus non ribbed, I think its more a matter of following prototype than anything else. I buy whichever is in stock.
Gary

George

Jimnrose,

You're correct about plastic wheels collecting dirt. They get caked with a dark almost claylike matter from lubrication which collects dust and fibres into a mess that can cause a derailment as well as a host of other problems.

Plastic or metal, no matter which way you go, you have to keep up with keeping the rails AND the wheels clean.

There's no real fix here for this one.

George.

MikeC

Hi Jim, A company called Jay Bee also makes a good metal wheelset. The ones I find arround here usually run about 8.00 for 12 sets. I mainly ues the J Bs and Lifelike wheelsets, as they are the most available here. Kadees are nice, but they tend to cost a bit more. Another thing I have done on some of the wheels is polish the treds. It makes a noticable difference in the appearance, although it does take a bit of time. IMO the metal wheels keep the track a lot cleaner. There is a noticable difference between the ammount of crud that you get compaired to plastic. With the metal wheels, I rarely have to do any track cleaning on my layout......Mike
PS hello to all the members here, seems that a few of us do get arround
biggrin.gif

jimnrose

Hi Guys,
I'm told by everyone that plastic wheels should be avoided at all costs. The reasons differ> Some say the plastic transfers to the rail at the joints (abrasive or cutting
when their is a slight misalignment). Others say the plastic picks up foreigh matter and is difficult to clean with IPA but can transfer the "dirt" randomly. In either case (plastic tranfer from wheel seems to make sense to me) get rid of plastic wheels.
Problem: most freight cars come with plastic wheels. So far I found Kaydee wheels work well on Walthers, Athern & Ertl. I have a lot of IHC which perfer Intermountain but many of their trucks will work with Proto 2000. All wheels have the same axle length but the end taper is different [Kaydee is the bluntest, if that's a word)].
I'm trying to avoid replacing all trucks due to the high cost and trying to but wheels in bulk but to date I'm not finding Intermountain wheels at low cost.
I'm just building a freight car stock, so still need inputs. Currently, I'm trying to modify 4 bay hoppers to function as track cleaners. Take care, Jim

Woodie

Goosey me! I just had a real good look, and all my wheels are metal!!! DOH! Plastic spokes, but metal wheel and flange! And I thought they were silver plastic!
redface.gif

TOOT!

[This message has been edited by Woodie (edited 07-14-2001).]