300 piece kit..

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Coming Along Beautifully!

What a great looking complex you're building, CSX! :thumb:

If I may stray off-topic a tad here, what did you use to make those hills on the corner behind the mill? Is that Poly fibre? Sure looks great. (Not to be redundant, but... :thumb: )

Israel

Jan 14, 2005
Kenmore, NY
CSX have you done anymore work on this. Looks great by the way. The Blast furnance and rolling mill are going to be the center piece of my layout when, so I'm really interested in how this turns out.

Israel

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
This is a very impressive structure, CSX.
It will be a great model industry on your layout, since you are also modelling the ore bins and other space-consuming stuff which goes with a blast furnace! :thumb:

Ron

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
Some progress, some setbacks.

Progress: I need to make this fit into a "bigger picture" rather than a blast furnace by itself. I started by chopping off the top of the hill, removed some polyfiber trees, built a parking lot and a back entrance way via a hillside path and a walkway over the tracks. I have to finish the steps, or put a building there with a door at same height as the walkway. I painted a sw9 into USS colors of red & black, and decaled it for USS. I also did a ford f150 truck too. I finally got around to painting the base of the stoves a concrete color, added some color to some pipes, and weathered the ore pit track. I also built a little station, put some dirt in the yard, wired the blocks for the yard, and now I am tinkering with lighting. I replaced my garage light with a big blue flood light for nighttime running. My unpainted rs1 by atlas has a headlight so bright it makes you shield your eyes!! I built a little yard office too.

Setbacks: how do I fill in the circle part of this scene? The mainline goes up a 2% grade and I don't know if I should hide it, or what? I don't know how to make this look like a riverfront industry with a town behind it with that mainline up against the backdrop. I only have space to glue a industrial photo background back there. Also, I have a 7' X 24' space between the yard and mainline. Should I try to build a Basic Oxygen Furnace (BOF), a open hearth furnace, or put the city there and put the furnaces somewhere else? Sorry for rambling.

Israel

Jan 14, 2005
Kenmore, NY
The first picture looks good and the fourth picture would help with tieing it in if the area on your layout has trees.

Israel

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Sweet work!

The 1st seems to dark.
The 2nd seems to have a feel that there is water on its other side, to a person not familiar with what the scene is or the structures.
The 3rd backdrop seems to have the haze of distance already in it. With the right look of more industry.
The 4th seems ok, much like the rolling mill that the furnance sents the metal to. Just needs to be hazed up to give distance.
...just my 2 cents...

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
One thing blast furnaces need is an abundance of coke. Dean Fretag had an interesting article in an old MR magazine on how to build a coke plant. The plant takes in raw coal, crushes it then heats it in ovens until it turns to coke. The coke then goes to the blast furnace via a conveyor belt.

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
coke..

The prototype that I am LOOSELY following is the Union Railroad. Union brings all the coke for the mills from Clariton coke works about 10 miles down the river from the mills. I am thinking of how to add staging to bring the coke in. Walthers has a great coke works in HO, but nothing in N. Now Walthers is coming out with even more cool mill stuff, but once again, its HO only. I cant get even half of the stuff I want in N. My scratchbuilding skills are iffy, if I attempt anything soon, it will be either a Open Hearth or Basic Oxygen Furnace. I bought Freytag's book "cyclopedia of industrial modeling", but was never a big fan of his work. I ended up selling the book on Ebay. All of those background pics are from mills that were once where I am modeling.

NormD

Jan 30, 2005
Northern NJ
It is probably too late to tell you thas, as the furnace looks about done. There is a guy based in Vineland, NJ (I can get you the name if you want) who sells finished versions of many different kits. I've seen his assembled blast furnace at some shows. Don't recall the price. He is still around; I know because I spoke with him yesterday at the show in Springfield, MA. I was asking him if he knew of N-scale slag ladle cars.