30 Year Old Atlas Engine & Cars

doctorwayne

Those Atlas locos were the standard in their day. The LHS has some of the more recent 10 or 12 year old ones on at about $50.00, with no passenger cars included, :D so it seems like a pretty decent deal to me. Sounds to me like it's the FP7. I had a number of SD24s, SD35s, and high hood GP38s and found them to be excellent runners.

Wayne

ozzy

i got some of them "30 year old engines a couple of times on ebay, both of mine were poor runners, no power , jerky, and was LOUD!.... but the one i got with 3 passanger cars.... i love the cars, and they light up inside!

Cannonball said:
Wow..... Talk about two contrasting opinions! :eek:

Shall we get a third for the tie breaker?

Cannonball said:
Wow..... Talk about two contrasting opinions! :eek:

Shall we get a third for the tie breaker?

Well Let's see here.

It depends on many, MANY factors for this question to get a real answer because to collectors it could be gold but to a runner ( like me ) it's junk to today's standards.

If your looking for quality collector sale.
1: is it in the original Package?
2: what's the package condition?
3: Is it a complete set with all pieces?
4: did it come with Power pack, track, Etc.?
5: does it have the original paperwork?
6: are you willing to wait for the right person to come around?

If your looking to sell it to a runner
1: How good are you at fudging the facts?
2: could you live with yourself for fudging the facts?
3: are you willing to accept local pickup without being shot :) J/K ? ( that would be an Ebay transaction thing where you list it as a Very rare Kato set with a bad pic. LOL ).

the bottom line is as a runner it may be worth that if you wait for the right person to come by but you may have to wait a while, but at the same token you may find someone fast. there are a lot of people out there who don't care about quality all they want is to build an empire with limited means and to some this may be a god send.

I personally use the one's I have as my demonstrators for custom painting, Hell my Atlas GP30 Santa Fe #370 ( I think ) has probably had more paint schemes than any other engine known to mankind :)

But like I said you may be able to find a buyer. One of my uncles is an antique train dealer and some of the stuff he sell's and what he sell's if for makes me drop my jaw. so if it's worth $49.00 to you hold on to it until you get an offer for $50.00. But than again I'm just a dumb ole electrician so I could be totally wrong :-D

Good luck.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
BNSFtheLeader said:
But than again I'm just a dumb ole electrician so I could be totally wrong :-D

Well, I can tell you one point where you're wrong.
I'm actually thinking about buying one not selling one. ;) :D

As far as track, boxes and all that- non-existant.
It's just an engine with a dummy and 3 passenger cars.
But then, I'm not a "collector" so I don't care about all that stuff.
(I always felt that anyone who cares more about the box than the train inside it is a little off their bean anyway.)

I just want a decent running engine and it's an F series in my price range.
The cars are a bonus.

Cannonball said:
Well, I can tell you one point where you're wrong.
I'm actually thinking about buying one not selling one. ;) :D

As far as track, boxes and all that- non-existant.
It's just an engine with a dummy and 3 passenger cars.
But then, I'm not a "collector" so I don't care about all that stuff.
(I always felt that anyone who cares more about the box than the train inside it is a little off their bean anyway.)

I just want a decent running engine and it's an F series in my price range.
The cars are a bonus.

Oops! I guess I missed the Buying part :)

I would have to say if your looking to buy an F-Unit, buy a LifeLike there very cheap and they will out pull any kato. I have many of each manufacture and the LL's don't look all that great but there reliable and ( well I love them even though I'm a VERY discriminatory person ) pull great. the atlas units aren't worth crap it's been years since I've own 'ed any but if I remember correctly ( correct me if I'm wrong) there only 4 wheel drive, so half the unit is dead as far as drive.

But than again if it's worth it to you than what the heck.

doctorwayne

Oops!!:eek:ops: :eek:ops: I should qualify my answer by stating that the locos that I was so enamoured of were HO scale, and may or may not have any similarity to the N scale version. (That's what happens when I answer posts that I come across in the "New Posts" section.) :rolleyes: :D :D

Wayne

MCL_RDG

Any thing is only worth as much...

...as it is to you. HO or otherwise. I agree that it may be worth 40 bucks but not to say it may be worth less or more. I believe once we have an independent panel of my colleauges to consider this issue there will be a positive answer to this very puzzling concern.

Mark

(Hey, did I sound intelligent but yet avoided answering the question? I'm working on understanding politics.)

These sound like Atlas First Generation products. Am I guessing right with an E-8A powered and dummy, in one of Union Pacific, Pennsy, Chicago and North Western or Santa Fe? Or perhaps a C-Liner in Pennsy, UP or Santa Fe?

I don't have the locos on my A1G site, but there are three of us that have nearly all of their production covered. I have some rough estimates of values on my site. Nothing A1G is going to get anyone an early retirement; the consistently most expensive cars are the 94 foot "whalebelly" tank cars, principally because this is the only time they've ever been made but also because (I think) oil company ephemera collectors like them too.

Anyway, have a look--

Passenger Cars: http://www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g (then pulldown for them in the top frame)
Locos: http://members.aol.com/dgosha
and one more for completeness:
Atlas Freight Car Kits: http://a1gkits.rossfink.com/index.htm

Would be interesting to see if we have a match there.

I think you could get $40 out of them if they are in good shape, given the properly motivated buyer. I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but I have seen A1G locos and passenger cars go for more than that on eBay, even without boxes.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
umtrr-author said:
These sound like Atlas First Generation products. Am I guessing right with an E-8A powered and dummy, in one of Union Pacific, Pennsy, Chicago and North Western or Santa Fe? Or perhaps a C-Liner in Pennsy, UP or Santa Fe?

I don't have the locos on my A1G site, but there are three of us that have nearly all of their production covered. I have some rough estimates of values on my site. Nothing A1G is going to get anyone an early retirement; the consistently most expensive cars are the 94 foot "whalebelly" tank cars, principally because this is the only time they've ever been made but also because (I think) oil company ephemera collectors like them too.

Anyway, have a look--

Passenger Cars: http://www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g (then pulldown for them in the top frame)
Locos: http://members.aol.com/dgosha
and one more for completeness:
Atlas Freight Car Kits: http://a1gkits.rossfink.com/index.htm

Would be interesting to see if we have a match there.

I think you could get $40 out of them if they are in good shape, given the properly motivated buyer. I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but I have seen A1G locos and passenger cars go for more than that on eBay, even without boxes.

I am the one thinking about buying them not selling them.
(At least I will if I'm convinced they are worth it)

You are right on the engine and cars. All Santa Fe. E8A or F3,7, or 9. (One of those anyway) The cars are all three coach cars.

If it's an E-8, it's an Atlas First Gen made by Rivarossi; those were notorious for burning out motors.

If it's an F-unit, it's a somewhat later Atlas offering made by Roco. I don't count those in the First Generation but they're close to that age (later 1970's.). Roco did some GP-somethings for Atlas as well. The last loco they did in that partnership was the FA's and they really weren't bad, although easily eclipsed by the Life-Like units, especially the most recent run.

Then Atlas and Kato partnered with the result being the RS-3, and the rest is history; the bar was permanently raised.

In either case, make sure the loco works before buying. I'm not sure I'd do $40 for a loco and three coaches, given that new information. If they were in really good shape, maybe.

I guess I have to ask is ?????????? are you going to run it????

Becaues if you are, Don't buy it. If your going to buy it for a collectors market????? I have no clue... If your going to buy cheap passenger buy LL F7 BevBell. and some Model Power Heavy weight passenger cars???????????????????????????/

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
BNSFtheLeader said:
I guess I have to ask is ?????????? are you going to run it????

Becaues if you are, Don't buy it. If your going to buy it for a collectors market????? I have no clue... If your going to buy cheap passenger buy LL F7 BevBell. and some Model Power Heavy weight passenger cars???????????????????????????/
Yeah, I was going to run it but I decided to pass.
I really don't need vintage N gauge stuff.
I have enough vintage O/O27 ;)

And I put a bid in for an LL F7 BevBell tonight.
I'll find out tomorrow afternoon if it's mine or not.
If not, I have another on my watch list.