30"x48" N setup

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Chad, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Chad

Chad Member

So today I built the board and glued two layers of 1/2" foam to it. Then I traced my layout onto the board using my laptop and a projector that I built. It was projected to (almost) exact scale, which took some tweaking :D

2. Collyn

Collyn Member

I have never seen someone use a projector like that. very cool
  3. rfmicro

rfmicro Member

Chad, your use of a projector is a great idea and very practical as well.

4. jasbourre

jasbourre Member

Nice little plan, the only thing is the outside track is very close to the edge of the table.
  5. Chad

Chad Member

Using the projector made drawing the trackk SO EASY! It took maybe three minutes at most. Beat the heck out of what I thought I was going to be doing, measuring and protractoring...

Jasbourre - excellent point and I WAS worried about it, I am going to frame the foam in with 1x4 planks. That should protect the edges of the foam from damage and I can build the road bed out another 3/4 of an inch in all directions. So I guess I am expanding to 49.5x31.5"... I hear this is typical as we get older ;)
  6. jasbourre

jasbourre Member

Another thing you can do is put clear plastic edge arround the outside.
  7. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Great looking track plan!
    I wonder what that owuld expand to in O27 scale......
    *goes looking for a calculator*
  8. Chad

Chad Member

ok... I added 1x6" planks for a cleaner look than the 1x4 would have given. I also prewired the underside. I've got to come up with a design for the control board and somehow fit the tech4 dual cab controller on it. Ideas/links?

9. cjfeltner

cjfeltner New Member

keep us posted on your progress. great job
  10. Chad

Chad Member

AT LAST I had some free time again this weekend. Got a little bit of work.
  11. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Little bit..??!! That's looking really good..!! I like the "finished" look the outside frame gives it. Gotta try that myself...Keep up the good work..!!

I see you've got some good help...!! Maybe that accounts for the good work..!! :D
  12. Chad

Chad Member

My wife got me a nice loco for my birthday and I cannot find information about the erra or the line, can someone help me with the research?:wave:

13. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Chad: the Pennsylvania Railroad was the "Standard Railroad of the World" (according to themselves). New York to Chicago via Philadelphia and Pittsburg, plus a lot of other places.
    Became part of PennCentral then Conrail. When Conrail was bought and split, much of it became part of either NS or CSX -- I forget which.

The loco looks to be early 20th century; something about it says pre-WW1. Looks good for heavy coal drags or helper service in the mountains.
  14. cajon

cajon Member

Conrail was split into both CSX & NS. The Conrail cars that were originally Pennsy, PC or NYC are being patched w/ their original reporting marks. Conrail locomotives are being patched into either CSX OR NS. Don't know if this has been completed yet.
  15. Beef Up The Underdeck A Little

Great job, except I wouldof beefed up the underside a bit more!! sign1 :D :D Just kidding of course, yours is probably the most solid table I've seen so far, someday you'll be glad you went the extra step when you need to climb into the middle of the table for some reason...Have an extra nice day Marlon. AT&SF DUEY

16. Twin Sister

17. berraf

berraf Member

30x48 that's about 700x1200mm and the layout of yours are a magnificent example of what's possible to do on that space :thumb:
    Great work :)
  18. jawharp1992

jawharp1992 Member

I've been looking around here for a while, and I've noticed those white things to elevate the track. What are those, how much are they and were can you get them? By the way, GREAT LAYOUT!!!
  19. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

Woodland Scenics inclines and risers. Try much any LHS (local hobby shop).
  20. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

Looking good! IS that Cat 5 wire I see under the table? I use the same thing. Many conductors and low volt/amp capasity. I haven't put my sides on yet.