3' Sulaco Beta Build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by knightstalker527, Nov 28, 2007.

1. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Maybe you could give the panels slightly different colours... like just issue however many sheets of panels, and make each one a slightly different shade of the base colour....

oh and just cos I mentioned the word "airbrush" doesn't mean I'm good at using it :D, I've never tried using it to paint a model, but this model makes me want to try.
  2. Ok I want the PDF I can do the enlarging on my printer. I also want you to be comfortable with what you are releasing. I am really looking forward to getting this model.

3. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Jaffro,that's not a bad idea. Thanks buddy.

Jerry, I'd have liked to pull off nice perfect textures for this but I'm still learning myself. I get lucky with some models like the X-Jet, then fall on my a## with others.

I'd be much happier doing it this way. Either that or I'll be working on thistil I'm 40! LOL I'm comfortable with the base model, the panels should be easy enough to get done too. I'd just be a little dissappointed that I failed to texture it the way I imagined it. :(
  4. Skip: No problem, I totally understand.:thumb: I am liking the whole base coat and panels to put on it. I will be happy with what you do as sure the others will. So color away sir, color away.

5. Master-Bruce

Thanks buddy.

It's all set up now. The base is coloured. Instructions will be started tomorrow. When that's done I'll release the first part(the base/core model), then while people are building that,I'll be working on the second part(the detailing panels).

Later after that I can acess if the model needs yet more detail to finish it properly, if it does, I'll come back with a third and final part for finishing touches.

Each part/layer being a slightly lighter shade to give a bit more to the model.
  6. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Well I got the Pegasus done and I'm about halfway through with the Valkyrie, so I should be able to start soon. Only thing is I probably don't have enough paper at the moment for a full-scale version so I'm going to build it at 1/4 scale.

Btw, in regards to the 27' Galactica, Sprintx made a 21' Super Star Destroyer, so maybe it's not that far-fetched. :wink: sign1
  7. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

my wife said if i built a 27 foot galactica i better put wheels on it to carry my stuff out with.
  8. Hey Nothing I think your wife and mine know each other because mine said the same thing.:eek:
  9. Master-Bruce

Hey Knight, you ever finish the last bits of this one? I'd like to see it if you did.

The model is now finished and ready. I'll be back with detail set at the start of the year. I've sent it all off to Chris for uploading. ;) Got there in the end.
  10. YUP it's done and I would have posted pics but had a little accident with my camera. Who knew they are so fragile? I will see about posting when I get it out of the shop. It looks great. I cannot wait for the text one so I can start the BIG one.

Thanks for all of the hard work and the endless hours you have spent on this ship!!!!!! It's people like you that help to make this hobby so damn much fun!!!!!!!

11. Master-Bruce

No rush, I hope to see some pics of the coloured one. ;) WITH panels. :) (once I've done them)

Thanks for the thanks buddy, I appreciate that.

12. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Same here!:thumb:
  13. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

What they said ^^

I just downloaded my copy and WOW, 31 pages of blue ink, lol the missus is gonna love that when she goes to do her next run of blue promo flyers :D

Just one question, well 2 now that I think about it.... How long is the finished model if printed out without rescaling and 2, is the model designed in such a way that the detail set can be added to the finished model, or would I be better off waiting for the detail set before building?

I'm in no hurry to start this one, the tumbler is next, even though after seeing all those nice clean lines I really can't wait to start cutting. :D
  14. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

hrm, could you imagin toolin around the neighborhood in a 27'er built on top of a go-kart... lol

what I really wanted to say tho, the download lists it as from Alien 3, isnt the sulaco from movie 2 "Aliens"
  15. Master-Bruce

Thanks guys, AGAIN. :) I'm happy that so many will enjoy this one. Glad I resurrected it now.

Yeah this thing will suck the blue ink right out of your printer! The finished model without re-scaling SHOULD be 70cm. Knightstalker knows for sure as Ithink he's the only one who's built one so far. Yes, the detail set will be able to be added straight to the finished base model that's available now.

I did it that way so that I could release the core before Christmas, and then later release the detail set later on. They're simply panels to be fixed to the surface of the ship to give it depth rather than use artificial texture. Then finally there'll be a second set that goes on top of the first set. Smaller panels and things to set it off.

Oyl, you are right. The Sulaco is primarily seen in Aliens, though features breifly in Alien3. The Alien3 version is the same except for some reason they have the "USS Sulaco" name in white, whereas in Aliens it's black. I opted out of doing the white one as I don't like it, it stands out too much.
  16. From tip of the antenna to the back of the motor it measures 25.25". I am not sure what that is in the evil metric system. it builds into a really nice nontextured model so I can't wait to see her all grown up:mrgreen:. I think she will make a nice model at 4' 2.5". The wife is already rolling her eyes as I have started the up scaling. Thanks again Skip.

17. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

25.25" x 2,54 cm = 64.13 cm :)

Very big model... certainly I will not have room to store this beast, I will have to reduce it a bit...
  18. Master-Bruce

Ah well, I wasn't too far off then eh?

You're welcome Jerry, thank you for giving it a shot and testbuilding it for me.
  19. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

you know, to save ink I was going to do a "black/white - Reverse" version of my batwing, basically the lines will pring white and grey for use on black card...

any chance of getting the same for sulaco? also that way you can vary the shade you print on to simulate different panel sheen?

ARMORMAN Guest

ummm....you have a printer that uses white ink?