3' Sulaco Beta Build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by knightstalker527, Nov 28, 2007.

1. armorbimbo

armorbimbo Member

Looking good. I'd just like to throw out the suggestion that on the final build to use solid lines and not dotted ones to help make the model look more professional. Just my opinion...
  2. armorbimbo are you the one that made the giant vanilla serenity?

Yeah the arm things that hang off the sides (intakes????)
    I have one built and I have to say that the design of the tip SUCKSwall1, It is hard to fold really thin flat areas (especially with the meat hooks I have). Any way still having a great time.

Attached Files:

3. Ok last update of the night. I started on the motor surrounds and completed that dome thing in the middle. Hope ya like and good night.:thumb:

Attached Files:

4. armorbimbo

armorbimbo Member

Yep, that is/was me.
  5. montagonfire

montagonfire New Member

Looking good:thumb: Skulp' I still need to get some designs for animation stuff to you. Soon, very soon.
  6. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Monyagonfire. Thanks buddy, it'll be good to see what you have.

Solid lines would be easy enough, although after texturing, you barely see the dotted lines as it is so they won't stand out.

Knight, it looks great! I see what you mean about the tips(BTW, they're some sort of rail gunor something like that.) not the best way to have unfolded them, I'll to a bit of revision there. I have to say though, for meat hooks they did a nice job on the one you've built so far. :)
  7. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

I'm looking forward to seeing how those meat hooks go with the antenna array :p
  8. Master-Bruce

Just imagine if I'd have gone with a small version. LOL
  9. jxn1138

jxn1138 Member

10. I am getting the hint that everyone wants me to do the antennas....... Alright I will try to get them done today.

A small version?????????:confused::confused::confused:
    I am looking at blowing it up twice:thumb:! Lucky for me I have a boss that lets me make things big (I love her for that) so it is no prob for uber starships to be amassed in the den.
    Armor any chance we will see a textured version of that monster?????

Is there anybody else building this??

Oh well lets get started......:wave:
  11. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Mine's in the queue(Battlestar Pegasus about 78% done, Battlestar Valkyrie, USS Sulaco. . .the list goes on). The Valk ought to go together fairly quickly because it's only six pages.
  12. Sweet I was beginning to feel like the lone ranger on this project. Skip just a suggestion Bleed your textures over on to your tabs it will be a huge help to those of us who build this awesome ship. Hey just a teaser.........:mrgreen:

Attached Files:

13. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

OMFG! I can't wait for this one! I may even start with the vanilla one and spray it like MF said. Beautiful model, skulp and beautiful build knightstalker. I'll be making a 2x sized textured version of this one, too. Keep up the good work.

I really like the photos with the RY in the background. Mine's still sitting lonely on top of the bookshelves. Needs some Colonial Marines Military Transport company.
  14. Ok Skip suicide is now a viable option wall1. These antenna are a nightmare! I believe there has to be an easier way to unfold these. Hey good news just 10 more to go.:thumb:
  15. This will be slow going but here is a couple pics to hold ya over.

Attached Files:

16. Janx

Janx Member

This beauty looks incredible, superb model skul. Lol want one to grace my ceiling...
  17. Master-Bruce

I'm here.Step away from the roof ledge! LOL

I should have mentioned this. The thinking behing the antennea wasn't to buildthem as they are in the vanilla copy.

Has anyone built the Konradus Shuttle Tydirium?? What happens with that model is that in places, layers of card are laminated to a reguired thickness. Then a strip od thinner card is applied around the edge to finish the parts off. Does anyone know what I mean? The wing hinges for example on that model, and the wings themselves actually.

Well, this is what is intended here with the antenna, forward fins(belly of the hull, just aft of the antennea), and some of the flaps in the engine exhaust section. When I texture these pieces, the tabs will be removed from the edges to allow this method of construction.

Hope that made sense.

The tabs are all coloured to match the textures so there'll be no white at all except for the reverse side of the card, the cut edges, and where the knife may cut too deep when scoring(it happens to me alot!).

Hot4darmat, you'll have a 5' model there. A few people have mentioned doing that. I can't wait to see them. ;)

MF, nice to see you're going in for this. Modelnutz is another builder but he said he'd been tied up with something.

Don't give up Knightstalker, you're doing a super job. Sorry for not passing that info along sooner. D'oh!
  18. Ok breathe just breath just 7 more to go ........................I think the idea of lamination is probably the best. I think it will be a race to the 5' model as I have the boss that will let me go nutz. I think I will take this one and paint it gold so I will have the limited gold edition:thumb:.
    Skip is there anything else you want to tell me??????
  19. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Yet another beautiful ship Skip. A fantastic build as well KS527.
  20. Master-Bruce

Thanks Joe.

KS, Sorry for forgetting that. It would have made things easier had you been told before hand.

Nothing more you need to know I think as far as the beta goes. However for those who are using this as a personal build like KS' gold version and MF's airbrushed build. There are things you need to know. I did mention these earlier but I'll be more specific now.

I mentioned two parts of the model where there are more than one of them that are identical. I got lazy when unfolding them with the intention of later cutting and pasting them during the texturing.

One of these parts belongs to the engine exhaust. It looks like this:

There are three pictured here and three included on the sheet with the beta version. THERE SHOULD BE 6. 3 for the top, 3 for the bottom.

The next part is detailing for the hull. It looks like this:

They sit just under the "hump" at the front of the hull. The beta version includes only one of these on the sheet. THERE SHOULD BE 12 IN TOTAL,6 on one side, 6 on the other. Check the PDO.

Another reason for not having these unfolded individually is because for testing purposes, I only needed to see if one or two fit. As the rest were the same, there was no need to test them all.

I think that's it. Again,sorry for the lack of clarity on this earlier.