3 Rail modern track Lionel clear winner

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Renovo PPR, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I had that big question which is better Lionel Fastrack or MTH Real Track. Each has some good selling points but in the end for me Fastrack was the clear winner.

Some of the first things I noticed about MTH RT were that it was harder to put together. It takes a lot more force and some times it was near impossible to put together. The other issue I had was that the thin copper tabs would bend and deform when you took the track apart, if you could get it apart.

I’m not a fan of the MTH lockon but that part is in the eye of the beholder. To me it just gets in the way due to its large size.

The real test came when it was time to run the trains. What a mess, it made such a racked it was annoying. The track clicks at just about every track connection. Now I can’t say everyone will have this same problem. My MTH track is 100% elevated on MTH trestles. I am running the MTH Aerotrain, which has single axle coach cars. So others with a different layout may not experience the same issues.

[FONT=&quot]On the other hand my Lionel Fastrack is not elevated and the same train run very smooth with none to little noise. So in my limited use I would say that the Lionel Fastrack is far superior to MTH Real Track.[/FONT]
  2. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

I'm an old tubular O27 track person myself. :D But Lionels new Fastrack does have better overal looks IMHO. Does it allows you to use the old Magna Traction engines on it to their full potential? MTH track is Nickel Silver and makes Magna Traction usless.

3. Geno

Geno Member

The consensus with MTH realtrax is that the electrical connectors are not that good, causing erratic running on temporary layouts. On permanently screwed down set ups, this problem is not present.

The Lonel fastrack is superior in this regard, so much so that the connectors allow ovals of fastrack to be hung for storage.

As far as noise is concerned, both have some noise issues, but that is to be expected when you have a hollow cavity under the rails (roadbed) and the track is screwed down to plywood or some other hard subtop.

4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

[FONT=&quot]So far the FT appears to be great with the MT on my postwar steamer. Since the RT is elevated I don't have to worry about the hollow cavity, as a matter of fact it sounds much better on the small mountain it crosses, which is plywood. It does real well going over the MTH Bridge in addition. The problem is that the joints just don't match up the greatest on the curves. The tracks are tight together but the track joints are just off a hair thus making a nice clicking sound as the train passes over them.

You have a good point this is a poor track to consider for that Christmas Layout that you just put under the tree each year. Taking the track apart takes a toll on the connectors. Personally I destroyed a few sections while taking them apart and trying to re-bend the tabs so they would fit right.[/FONT]