3' nickel silver flex track

Sparks

Jun 15, 2002
Visit site
I just gought my first loop done since I found the flex nickel silver track and the road bed. I dont know but maybe its just me but my engines run a lot better. I dont have as many derails and they run smoother too. Does anyone use flex track beside me?

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Sparks,
Always used N/S flex track, have done since it first came out with Peco products, many years ago.

Shamus

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Sparks:
In a mental survey of layouts I've seen, most use flex track, the rest use hand laid. One of the local club leaders terrifies newbies by telling them that the first thing they have to do is learn to lay track. One of our more senior Platelayers was asked about handlaying track and said "Life's too short."
I can think of one layout that uses sectional track, but only for part of it, and I think he is using every bit of track he ever bought.
For what it's worth, my layout is mostly Peco code 100 (what I had when I started) with Peco code 75 on one end and some British scale track (also flex). On my previous layout I had two handbuilt switches to match the scale track.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
FTR I use both as well. For the most part I'm using flex track, but in two cases I prefer using sectionals: (1) short straights between turnouts, where sectional track fits in nicely; and (2) I have a number of 22" curves, and since I'm still fairly new at flextrack, and I have a significant number of 22" sectional curves already in inventory, I'm using those. That way I know the curve is gonna be 22"...........my favorite curve on the layout is still the 25" radius, 120-degree one in a corner - the trains look really kewl coming around it - required two pieces of flextrack.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
In addition to a smoother, more realistic look on curves, & easements, & the ability to fit the track to your situation, flex track makes for better electrical contact, due to there being fewer joints in the rail. (kinda like how there's only one period in this reply so far. :D )
Better contact means better performance!

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
The code is the height of the rail (not including the ties or anything else), in 1/1000th of an inch. So Code 100 is 0.10" high, Code 83 is 0.083" high.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Sparks,
I'm using code 83 flex on the lower level of the new module set I'm building. I will hand lay the third rail for the 3' gauge dualization. Will probably hand build the dual gauge turnouts(pre-manufactured ones are too expensive, as is dual gauge track).
The upper level will be code 100 standard gauge only.
My original modular layout was all hand laid code 70, on hand cut ties. There were still more days ahead than behind then, I don't have that luxury any more.
Pete

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Sumpter:
One of my friends has a lot of dual gauge track on his layout and he has 3 types of dual-gauge turnouts for it.
Commercial dual-gauge
Hand laid dual-gauge
Commercial Narrow-gauge with one standard gauge rail laid on the outside. Used where only the NG line switches off. Only problem is that NG turnouts have an effective radius less than 2/3 of standard gauge and they make them tight to start with. We get some interesting problems since what was once a minor siding was redesigned to be part of the main line.
Sparks:
If you have snap-track or train-set track to compare it with, the snap-track is code 100. If your flex-track looks delicate or flimsy, it's probably less than code 100.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I've been successfully using nickel silver flex track for years once I got the hang of soldering smooth curves. Perhaps some time I'll try hand laying track but that part of the hobby doesn't interest me as much as others. The hand laid track I've seen looks very nice though. Scientists out there; is it true that oxidation on nickel silver track is conductive of electricity unlike the loco-stalling gunk on brass track? Cleaning my loco's wheels seems to do the trick for smooth running more than wiping off the rails.
Ralph

Sparks

Jun 15, 2002
Visit site
Well I have just one more 6 in piece on the second loop then I will start the spurs. Most of them are already n/s but they dont have road bed.

It looks as if nearly everyone here uses flex. :)

I started with a combination of sectional and flex 30 years ago, but now use Atlas code 100 (HO w/black ties) almost exclusively. I do have some code 83 that I use for sidings to give the feeling of lighter rail than the main.

I have found that with ballast and proper painting of the rail, it is hard to tell the difference between code 100 and code 83 until to see them side by side.