3' gauge outside frame articulated

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
This is the other engine built from the MDC kit. It has run on the modules for the last 14 years, and after the last show,may require a gearbox change.

Attachments

• 2442.jpg
    2442.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 109
Pete, you must have the patience of Jobe!!:) . That's one hot diggity dooo of a loco. You must have had to cut through the main chassis and boiler too. I shudder to think of how you lined up the pieces with the extension bits... joining the metal that is.

Do the trailing wheels under the firebox track ok? They look real dinky to me.

You guys are lucky, you can go to your local hobby shop and get all these superdetailing bits when you feel like it. As for me, well, I had to do a bit of quick thinking as to what bits would come in usefull as and when I was in the states.

Talking of HOn3, I still have the 2 truck shay to finish and I read it is a good idea to use just one of the four side shaft gears fitted so as to drive the cylinder mechanism without the hassle of aligning (synchronising) all the gears involved. Makes sense to me, what do you think??

All my HOn3 stuff is in a display cabinet at present. Someday a layout will evolve.

Errol .... (The Lone Ranger has once again been sidetracked :D )

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Errol,
I didn't cut the boiler at all, I simply mounted the cab as far back as I could, almost 3/4 of the cab length. I built this at the time MDC had the "Battle Mountain" series out,and used the frames from both kits to do the articulation. Each engine has a Northwest Shortline gearbox, modified to fit the MDC frames.
The "tank" from the Battle Mountain kit is what I used on the Shinnecock Hills Lumber 2-6-6-2.
Yes, it is nice to have a local hobby shop, and here in the Chicago area we have several. That is also why I don't buy from Ebay, or the other basement dealers. I want to keep the local shops in business.
The trailing truck has never been a problem, it's the pilot truck that has been "sensitive"
Finally, the motor, is mounted in the tender, and a cup/ball universal drive routes power to the two engines.
Despite Baldwin's histerical laughter at the thought of converting a consolidation to an articulated, The shipyard went ahead with the project, and has been extremely happy with the results.