3' galactica (new séries) project

Danscrew

Danscrew
DISASTER !!! DISASTER !!!

One of my son's friend came yesterday and he wanted to see my model with the lights on. I took my son's airsoft batterie (my batteries was dead) and DISASTERwall1wall1wall1 I burnd about 25 LED's on 30! Now that's I call that very stupid of my self. In french "erreur de débutant". I'm very sad and not really proud wall1wall1wall1.

I take a lot of time to doing this model and I cannot leave this way like that. Before I finish the main's bottom engines I will, like a surgeon, have to replace the burn LED.

So guy's, you will have to wait a little longer to see the complet model.

Damn ! I'm mad about my self ! wall1wall1wall1wall1wall1 x10000000000.

Nosports

Damn ! I'm mad about my self ! wall1wall1wall1wall1wall1 x10000000000.

Hey - learing the hard way is not for pussies ;-)

so while repairing - make altercations so that you could repair, modifier future accidents with out surgical butching the model....

Alas thats a one in a life experience...

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I am sorry to hear that this happened, but you can use this as a chance to make it where you will be able to fix it easier in the future (if something like this happens again.)
As for it taking longer to rebuild, do not worry about it. We will always be here supporting you and driving you on.
Good luck with the fix.

Millenniumfalsehood

That's a hard lesson to learn, my friend.

Did you have current-limiting resistors on the LEDs? That would have prevented this from happening.

By the way, I had a similar experience with my X-wing, and in front of the hobby shop owner, no less. I tried to demonstrate the engine lights of my X-wing, and lacking the batteries I normally test LEDs with (3V button cell batteries), I grabbed a two-pack of AA batteries and used that. The lights flared brilliantly for a second, then I heard a pop and they went dead. :eek:

I had to cut the turkey feathers off the engine, pull out the wires, re-strip them, solder new LEDs on, and close up the engines again. :curse:

Luckily, this gave me the opportunity to improve the exhausts by thinning them and adding some detail around the edge.

Just so you don't feel like a complete idiot for doing this. We've all done idiotic things; it's a learning experience. :thumb:

vbsargent

Teachers call this "A learning moment" the rest of us call this fraking up. All we can do is grit our teeth and plow on. Hmmm . . . . are you sure your son's friend isn't a Cylon agent? :eek: From seeing what you have done, I have every confidence that you will restore power and atmosphere to the affected decks and reactivate the power grid at double time. Remember, only you can prevent sabotage. :p

Z

Zathros

I would recommend powering this off of a ac/dc converter, maybe with a DC to DC converter to keep it clean, especially if those lights are not easily replaceable. If it was an over voltage situation, a Varistor could prove most useful as it will shunt and not any amperage through. We look forward to you updates, and some pics of the surgery, if you wouldn't mind. :)

Danscrew

Danscrew
Tank you all for your support. The sadness is way back of me. There is something right here..... "do nothing quickly...think before". I was mad about my self because I new that it was the normal thing to install a protection on the line but...... Mad about my self becaus I looked forward to showing it to you with the lights switched on.

As would say my mother "Nothing arrives for anything. We have always something to learn about something and usually the hard way and that's the human thing".

After cooling down and after reading your comments, I'm ready to start the repair and it will begin today. I do not think that will be difficult but long and meticulous.

I will post some pics.

Danscrew

Danscrew
Tank you all for your support. The sadness is way back of me. There is something right here..... "do nothing quickly...think before". I was mad about my self because I new that it was the normal thing to install a protection on the line but...... Mad about my self becaus I looked forward to showing it to you with the lights switched on.

As would say my mother "Nothing arrives for anything. We have always something to learn about something and usually the hard way and that's the human thing".

After cooling down and after reading your comments, I'm ready to start the repair and it will begin today. I do not think that will be difficult but long and meticulous.

I will post some pics.

I forgot..........for the cylon attack........I wanted Baltar to check this out but I don't think that I will have any answer....I think he's a Cylon him self.sign1

So sorry to hear about your unfortunate disaster, I am sure it will take you no time to repair. You have been doing an amazing job and I hope that this will not discourage you frome completing it.

Danscrew

Danscrew
After nearly one month at the shipyard of the Scorpio fleet....:p

REPAIRS DONE ! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

See below for before/after interventions.

Now I can finish this baby

Attachments

• reparation1.jpg
    reparation1.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 13
  • reparation2.jpg
    reparation2.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 17
  • reparation3.jpg
    reparation3.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 20

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
BEAUTIFUL, absolutely BEAUTIFUL.
You did an OUTSTANDING job on the repairs as well as on the overall build.
The old girl looks AWESOME!!!

Danscrew

Danscrew
The lower left main engine is complet. I only have to fix it on the ship. More pictures to come.....

For the stand, I mounth something temporary made from recuperation things. First of all I wanted a diorama.....a big diorama but more than I look this stand, more I think I will paint it and keep it like that.

I don't know............I'm open to suggestions

Attachments

• IMG_0861.jpg
    IMG_0861.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 14
Z

Zathros

Looks like a documentation of a repair job after a Cylon attack!! Well done!! :)

Danscrew

Danscrew
The bottom left engine is glued to the ship. The next step, the right engine and some adjustments and details.

Wen this step is finish, I will show you with the lights on.

Hope you will love it.....

Attachments

• IMG_0862.JPG
    IMG_0862.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0863.jpg
    IMG_0863.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 13

aleks

Great idea for textures.
I think this will become the touchstone for every future Galactica models.
Outstanding!