24 Hour Endurance Test First Stage

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Renovo PPR, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I have just completed my first 24 hour endurance test on a MTH engine. It is now just 11 minutes over the 24 hours and the engine is still pulling a consist of 15 100 ton hoppers.

This was my first diesel engine that I bought one year ago. So in addition I'm not sure how many hours are on it.

While I know must people would have concerns about running a train for so many hours unattended the teat went just fine. I'm sure the power company loved it.

I plan on running it another 12 hours.

Has any one else ever had an engine running for extended hours.

NOTE: This engine suffered an overload of smoke fluid and the sound board was wiped out. It was plagued with problems such as throwing tires and leaked fluid even after several cleaning. After a complete tear down to clean the train everything still worked except the sound board. So I wanted to see if any long term damage was done to any other thing.
  2. Geno

Geno Member

I have plenty of diesel engines with the 'China drive' (dual vertical can motors) with at least over 400+ hours on them. The most I have run them is about 2-3 hours at a stretch, and then rotated a new engine in to let the previous runner cool down. These units are at least 7-10 years old, and are all modern, scale, command equipped diesels- it's safe to say they are reliable.

I personally wouldn't do what you're doing, since the extended heat generated by extending running over 2-3 hours will shorten the can motor life expectancy of your diesel. I don't know exactly what is the life span of a Mabuchi vertical can motor (if MTH and Lionel are even still using them) in hours is, but I doubt one hard running session will kill your motors (unless you keep doing it). Your diesels are pretty much new, right?

3. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

First maintenance break at 32 hours. To be honest it was the first part failure that has resulted in a short maintenance break that gave me some time to also do a lube job. I had one of the plastic blind wheels fail and split. I am not sure how this happened since they make little contact on the track and are fixed to the axle.

The locomotives was quite cool to my surprise and the electric motors show no signs of fatigue or excessive heat. The current design dissipates heat very well.At this stage all traction tires are holding up well. I did note an excessive amount of dirt build up on all steel wheels and traction tires.

The rollers were fairly clean with no excess play. All functions still work lights, couplers, forward, reverse, boost, break, speed control except of course for the sound board which was shorted out prior to the test. The only other problem is a squeak that has developed on one of the 100 ton hoppers.
  4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

The test ran for a straight fifty hours with only a very brief stop due to the broken blind wheel and a quick lube. It is impossible to over heat the motors at least in this diesel. I would of ran it longer but my wife said it was starting to get on her nerves. I ran the train at full power using a 180 Lionel brick and a TPC 300. It was in TMCC conventional mode.

Some observations I made was that clearly the electric motors are up to long hours of continuous use. They worked at what I would call a normal temperature range and never once had a slight problem of over heating. The electronic board again performed great and all functions worked at the end of the run. The sides of the shell were no warmer than a normal 1/2 hour run.

I did take off the shell and while I didn't perform and test on the circuits everything looked great with no melted wires of any other signs of trouble. The traction tires held up great though dirty from the extended run. However even pulling what I would consider a heavy load there was never any slippage noted. The traction tires do appear to be stretched a little but nothing that looks like they will fail soon. The steel wheels are dirty and will need a heavy cleaning. I was surprised to see that the rollers had very little wear and very little dirt.The gears show no signs of wear and held up great during the run.

While I don't consider this a scientific test or even a extreme extended run I can come to the conclusion that you can run these engines for greater lengths of time than most people think.

I plan on giving the engine another extended running this week end. I will continue to give it an extended run for the next 7 weeks for a total of 200 hours.

I will keep you updated after each weekend.
  5. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Test two has now started with a planned run of 72 hours.
  6. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Renovo...Is this a test of engine endurance..or of your wife's patience? Any danger of seeing that loco splattered all over a wall..?? :mrgreen:
  7. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I am a few hours short of 48 hours and the engine has been operating with out any stops. I am running it on a different line from the first powered by two 180 bricks in TMCC conventional. I do have several MTH rolling stock that are making some noise.
  8. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

This engine has completed it's second continuous extended run. Even after that many hours the shell body while slightly warm showed no signs of overheating. The only thing to really add is that the wheels are extremely dirty but the track looks clean.

I tested all functions on the engine and they all work great. I turned the smoke unit on and added fluid and it works just fine.

The only thing I have to note is that I did have to stop it for a few seconds to oil the wheels on one of those type of trucks/axles that let the outside of the axles turn.

I did notice some slight wear for this piece of rolling stock.

Over all I'm happy with the results and no the wife didn't move out of the house.