225E Lionel Steam Loco

Allstate81140

Feb 19, 2004
Visalia, CA.
Visit site
Hi all. Well, I will be serious for a change and ask a question.

My daughter gave me this 225E Loco, with whistling tender, and though my eyes lit up like Christmas trees when I saw it, I have some problems with it.

I hope she didn't pay too much for it, as it needs a new top.

Mechanically, it is fine, and the hinges on the boiler front where the headlight is, work fine.

What has happened is someone (probably a kid) cut half of the Cowcatcher off. Guess he thought the engine came too close to the tracks. Wonder if it is too late to get my hands around his throat? Ha ha.

Any idea where I might get something like that? I know I will probably end up paying as much for the top as the entire engine. My daughter bought it in an antique shop, so I bet she paid way too much. As far as I can tell, it dates back to about 1939 when I was born. Could be way off.

Back hook on the tender is the old style, flat with :) dual points and it turns sideways to latch.

Any help would be appreciated. I tried to post a picture, but being a computer "non-nerd", I didn't have any luck.

All have a nice day. Jack.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Hi Jack.
I'm not real familiar with the 225E. It must be prewar.
Are you wanting to restore it or just make it look better?
I have fabricated pilots and JB welded them on before.

As far as dating the unit, 1939 is definitely a reasonable guess. Lionel units with the "E" designation indicate the loco has the e-unit/sequencer that Lionel acquired when it bought its competitor Ives in 1930. They first appeared in 1932 (no one knows why Lionel waited two years). Lionel dropped the "E" after WWII.

As far as getting a cowcatcher or an entire body shell, you might try someone like trainrepairparts.com. Or search eBay. You might be surprised how often bits and pieces of Lionels turn up.

Allstate81140

Feb 19, 2004
Visalia, CA.
Visit site
Hi all. First of all, thanks Ray and Dave for your replys. I will try E-Bay and the "trainrepairparts.com".

Ray, if I don't locate any parts, your idea will be a consideration too. Ideas are what make for success.

As this was a gift from my daughter, I want to get it back to as much original as possible, and also eventually hope to find some cars for it with those "twist-type" hooks.

Thanks again guys.

Finding cars to match it shouldn't be much of a problem. Price varies, of course, but the more common Lionel prewar stuff isn't terribly expensive. It looks like even more of a bargain when you compare it to what Lionel and MTH are asking for modern O scale stuff. The other nice thing about Lionel prewar is that it's holding its value well. It has a following outside of train enthusiasts.

Allstate81140

Feb 19, 2004
Visalia, CA.
Visit site
Hi all. Thanks Dave and SW for the replys.

Dave, I appreciate the information on the cars. Will try to locate some before Christmas. Want my daughter to see this thing running.

SW, appreciate the "heads-up" on the loco. I will keep watching to see when to bid. When it gets past $1000.00, I will probably back off. Only kidding. Ha ha. The shell is in exellent shape though. Will try to get it. Missing one green (I guess they were lights on both sides above the headlight) light on the top, but should be able to improvise that.

Thanks again to you both. Have a great day. Jack.