2010 Leonov

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gearz, May 30, 2009.

1. Gearz

Gearz Member

Howdy Cousins :wave:

Seeing how the year 2010 is rapidly rolling around, I'd image there will be a few '2010' Leonov models on design lists. Modelnutz7 and I have been discussing it on and off for some time. The release of UHU's excellent Discovery model has given us the impetus to extract our digits and get underway.

A few minor hurdles we're attempting to jump ( helping hands would be appreciated )

1. A scale reference from UHU's Discovery model. Sorry I haven't had the time to read through the forums. Could someone that's building/built UHU's Discovery give us the measurement from, mid point on the models pressure dome, to the forward section of the AE32 antenna module?. attached pic for reference.

2 We have a mesh well under way, however, accuracy/scale is going to be tricky to achieve working from photos. Modelnutz7 has spotted a beautiful google Sketchup mesh of the Leonov that we'd like to have a look at for comparison, sadly neither of us can utilise .skp format. Could someone convert the mesh into another format for us? .cob .3ds .lwo .obj .dxf ... the textures aren't necessary if it makes it any easier ? ( haven't had any luck contacting the original designer as yet.)

The original Sketchup mesh can be down loaded from HERE

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. jgderuvo

jgderuvo Member

Lookin forward to this!
  3. pilsworth

pilsworth Member

Just converted the 2010 Leonov to 3DS format if your intrested
    I'd have a go but I've to much on the go now
  4. Gearz

Gearz Member

Yes please mate :thumb:... PM sent
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

The sketchup model looks great. I'm wondering, what with so few reference images available of the Leonov, how accurate is this to the movie model?

I can't wait to see this being designed.

*await pictures*
  6. Red

Red Member

It will look cool having the two ship together :cool:
    I hope to see them soon
  7. Gearz

Gearz Member

Yep the sketchup model is good. As to accuracy? overall....ummm... not very, however, some individual sections of the mesh are excellent. A few sections of the Leonov had us scratching our noodles, so the SKU mesh will clear up a good many questions.

The design is still in its infancy, just playing with a few ideas and working up our 3D model. We'd like it to be a reasonably simple build, which is going to tricky to achieve with all that frame work etc. Regardless, we'd like it to be at least to a level where its worthy to be displayed along side UHU's Discovery. In a nut shell simple as possible with enough optional detail to keep builders happy. A lot of the detail will depend on the chosen scale. When we know that measurement on the Discovery model etc.

A few ideas in 3D, whether they will work in practicality is yet to be seen. ( just to show some pics)

To rotate or not to rotate......? The rotating hub + modules+ framework will be the key build, a lot depends on whether we make the mid section so that it can be rotated ( again, final scale will determine that) With such a fragile spine, it would seem to need a rod/dowel for support, however from a purist point of view we'll try for strictly paper. The pics of the spine / hub, are just trial ideas ~ want to avoid a overly complex design, so the build doesn't require advanced skills or hyper accuracy etc.

Repetition.. The rotating section + framework looks intricate, and makings for a rather laborious build. The individual modules ( 16 of them) do seem to have a common base, so we're attacking those and the hub first up.

That's about it so far, lots of design to do in 3D before we can start to cut. We'll get it done ASAP

Attached Files:

8. Gearz

I've just checked my nacent build of the Discovery and the dimension you want is 52cm. I think the model is 1/144th.

Have you got the orbiter .msh of the Leonov?

And somewhere I'm sure I have a copy of the Cinefex magazine for 2010 with some model shots - including a card model they used to check the fit. I'll send you scans if it shows up.
  9. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Hey Gearz great to see you back, and in fine form with another great model idea. I'm building uhu's Discovery, but its a slow burn, and I'm still plugging away at little pieces, adding to my plastic baggie full of spine nuts and little boxes for now. Can't help you with the measurement but I think you already have that.

Really looking forward to seeing the Leonov develop!
  10. Gearz

Gearz Member

Hi PB...Excellent, your a good man. 52cm..!. we were a little concerned an 'in-scale' Leonov would be to small for much detail, but that's going work out reasonably well, thanks mate! and Yep we have the Orbiter mesh (thanks to UMC2) we sort of kicked off the project with that model and few pics of the studio model.

Cinefex.. If you come across it, yes please, I didn't know they made a paper model of the Leonov, so that would be most interesting to see. Just BTB Cinefex looked/looks like a brilliant publication, wish I'd collected them.

* never miss a chance for a shameless plug ~

knownst to me, although possibly unbeknowst to a few of you, Plastic Bonsai wrote a brilliant little program, called UMC2 available in TOOLS sub cat of the DOWNLOADS section of the forum. It has many features, primarily, its a wizard at converting several game/sim 3D model formats, into formats that can be utilised by card modellers or designers. Converts most MS FlightSim models, Orbiter models, Celestra models, to name but a few. If your not into building your own 3D models as yet, UMC2 will provide you with enough 3D subject matter to choke a Dinosaur.
    ( Please remember copyright! If using someone else 3D work, at least give credit where credit is due, we'd expect no less..... actually, we'd probably squeal like stuck pigs, so please try to practice what you preach..... etc = good for the hobby's image)

Thanks Duncan ! Yep the Discovery certainly looks like a involved build, beautiful results though!! [sigh] another one to add to the must build list.. Think I'll opt for a steel/aluminium rod though, dowel will sag over time (unless supported from both ends ~ wire from ceiling etc) .

Thanks for the assistance and comments gentlemen, we can crunch some numbers, hammer some dots and start to cut etc. Sorry it won't be a speed Dev, Modelnutz7 and I are both time poor, 2010 (-) and counting etc ~ which many not be a bad thing, considering the complexity of the Discovery build.
    certainly keep you posted as we go.

11. Gearz

Gearz Member

Scaling ~

Deleted.... Sorry, faulty reasoning

12. jparenti

jparenti Member

Yay! If I can ever get a centrifuge model to go along with my Discovery and Leonov, I'll be all set! I have Uhu's EVA pod (with the interior) and my monolith already. :D
    I was afraid no one would ever design a Leonov... I'm so glad someone is giving it a shot.
  13. Gearz

Gearz Member

Hi jparenti, It may not quite be up to the amazing standard of some of those other 2001/2010 models, but we'll do our best to make her worthy of the same shelf.

Slow progress .

Most of the reference material we have for the Leonov is piece meal, and the closest thing we have to plans is a thumbnail from a set for sale on the net ( comparing them to the studio model, they look a little dodgy in spots ) To cut it shortR, the photo's of the studio model seem to be our best bet, so we're modify/ building each section to match the photo's as best we can ~ Its going to be 'best guess' in a few spots. Also, to accommodate our plan to have the standard build with most of the detail depicted as textures, we'll have to build a complete set of textures from scratch ~ proving time consuming as we're trying to roughly match the pipes N plates on the studio model..

A little disappointing, however as with the Discovery, the Leonov's delicate spine is going to need a central ( tubular) brace. Despite valiant attempts to design strictly for paper, we've discarded all of the card 'box' type braces we were working on. ~ simple is best. It turns out that the ideal brace would be a 7, 8 or 9 mm diameter steel or P***** knitting needle ...[ choke ..cough cough...spit ] although a few experiments did yield interesting results. ~

A sheet of plain printing paper ( A4 in this case) rolled length ways around a 9 mm knitting needle, gives a perfect 1 cm tube every time * After several practice 'rolls' I'd say anyone could make one. Obviously thinner is stronger, although much harder to get started an roll accurately, worth mentioning for purists at any rate. The tubes can be made much stronger by ~ 1. Coating the inside of the tube with PVA glue and allowed to dry. 2. Soaking the tube in polyurethane paint or similar. Sadly all to complicated for our needs, not to mention, if you have the knitting needle there's no advantage using paper etc. So we'll probably recommend a knitting needle to builders (cringe) ~ There wouldn't be many people that couldn't get their hands on a Knitting needle etc.

To avoid locking builders into a fixed requirement = use X diameter brace etc..we've modified the design and added a "target' pattern to critical spine parts = You cut holes to match your brace.

OT.. sort of...

Hey Smart guys!! riddle me this...

Studying the Leonov set my mine to a wandering ( happens a lot) about movie spacecraft design in general. I do realise its all HOLLYWOOD physics, but one thing has always bothered me about 'rotating' only a section of the ship to provide 'artificial gravity. In the Leonov's case, wouldn't the design produce an enormous turning moment, that would have to be compensated for or counteracted..? i.e. to stop the rest of the ship spinning in the opposite direction ~ like a chopper needs a tail rotor etc. Or does Zero G have something to do with it.? .. I can think of a few movie space ships that used a similar principle, the Agamemnon in B5 of course.. the ship in Mission to Mars... Oh and the Discovery herself, it was internal, although it would have the same effect... wouldn't it..?

Attached Files:

• L1.jpg
      File size:
      16.3 KB
    • L2.jpg
      File size:
      67.1 KB
  14. Gearz

Gearz Member

texture test

Attached Files:

• L3.jpg
      File size:
      84.8 KB
    • L4.jpg
      File size:
      55.2 KB
    • L5.jpg
      File size:
      29.6 KB
  15. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

(picks jaw up from floor and wipes up drool) Woooow! Dang! Hot dawg! Whooeee! and other exclamations. That first pic is a beauty!

(click) Test successful. Out (Click)
  16. jparenti

jparenti Member

I think you are doing a fantastic job so far. When it's done, I'm going to be printing it at 89% to match my Discovery (I only have 8.5 X 11" cardstock). It looks like it's coming along to be a fine addition to a (finally!) growing collection of 2001/2010 paper models.

Give the man a cigar. :thumb:
    The friction and other torque factors between the rotating and stationary members of the structure would eventually cause the whole structure to rotate along with the section that's supposed to move. A counterbalance in the form of a member rotating in the OPPOSITE direction is needed.
    Clarke wrote in the 2001 novel of a flywheel that "stored" the energy of the centrifuge when the centrifuge needed to be stopped. Whether or not it was going in the opposite direction is a matter of debate. Leonov can be assumed to contain the same mechanism, else the whole ship would start to tumble.
    Sorry for the physics ramblings. :mrgreen:
  17. No, it isn`t.

You would only need a counterbalance if the sections are attached to eachother and the rotating one is moved permanently by some sort of gear.

BUT when you detach the sections, bringing one into rotation with thrusters, there is no need for a counterbalance, because the fact that there is a rotating part, FREE from the stationary one, would not affect the stationary part.

When you stop or give thrust to the whole ship you have to stop the rotation (because the loose segments has to be attached to do such manouvers), and that`s what they did with the Leonov. But when you`re free falling and the segments are loose - no need for a counterbalance.
  18. jacberk

jacberk Old Fart - New Member

There is friction in any spinning system.

Mechanical in old fashioned bearings, magnetic drag in superconducting magnets, gravity between sections, and even the internal air flow between sections. Even though small all would have to be compensated for, on a lengthy trip. Gyros could do some of it and maybe store energy for the system.

Marco you are right about a disconnected system, but one would have to put on a spacesuit and jump between sections I think. And you would need a very fast spin up/down/lock system in case of emergencies.

I like the idea of computer controled thrusters and micro-thrusters, but superconducting bearings and a linear motor should do it too. Any system would have to be a dandy to handle the engine's thrust. Even if sun/locked down.

BTW! Don't forget the Babylon 5 Station. It's got that over-slung non-rotating section they never talked about much in the series.

Back on the subject.

Gearz, fabulous design work, and those textures are to die for!! Love all your stuff. Simply superb. Thanks for all you do for us lowly modelers.

19. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

I second Elliott's statment!! :thumb:
  20. Darth Windius

Darth Windius Member

Hello Gearz,

I don't know if anybody answered you, but I posted on PM forum a post concerning transformation of 3Ds model to Metasequoia. I reeived an answer by Ron Caudillo (Ron Caudillo) who said

"Hello Darth Windus,
    I have a program called 3D Object Converter that can open an obscene number of 3D formats- 3DS, Metasequoia, and Pepakura included. If you want, I can try to convert them for you." Maybe he can help you? PM him or e-mail at ronaldcaudillo@yahoo.com.

Indeed, .skp files are native files of Google SketchUp, you can feely download here:

Hope it can help :wave::wave::wave::wave::wave: