2008 MTH vol 1

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Nov 22, 2007.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

who all has their "wish list' made out? i guess MTH is make limited runs of everything this year, you will be guaranteed to get anything you order if you get your order in by NOV 28th. (if it makes it to production at all) after the 28th you may or may not get it depending on how fast they sell out.

i have ordered

3 of the 20-98631 heartland express flat car with 48' trailer p.152
    1 of the 20-98632 chicago northwestern flatcar with 48' foot trailer P.152
    3 of the 20-98625 BNSF corrugated auto carrier P. 153
    1 of the 20-89640 western maryand flat car with 3 dozers P.154
    1 of the 20-98643 milwaukee road flat car with 3 tractors p.154
    1 of the 20-98639 santa fe flat car with 2 sherman tanks p.155

this is my have to have list,

im sure i will be ordering a lot more stuff out of that book but this is my have to have list that i cant live without.

what is your list from the book?
  2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

3. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

im thinking about getting the santa fe E8 AA engine set

are you going to get the B-unit to match the PRR?
  4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Yes I did order the B unit too. I think they are suppose to be in by the Spring. I wanted the Premier set but I though they were just too much money so when I saw the Rail King in the 2008 I bought them.
  5. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i think you will like the rail king ones, i just got the texas special rail king set that was in the 2007 book . i love it, engines has alot more detail then i thought they would have. this was my first MTH item i bought. and my first engine at all with any sound other then a horn.

6. cnw1995

cnw1995 Member

I'm partial to the Orient Express engine - I believe it is a photo of an HO model - can't afford it but still love looking at that Pacific...
  7. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

im still not sure about that one, some days i like the looks of it, other days i dont.

i guess it dont matter , its out of my price range.....lol
  8. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i just ordered the Norfolk and western 4-8-4 "J" northern steam engine on page 9.

the wife is going to shoot me when it comes (witch is when i will tell her i ordered it ) and she sees the price.
  9. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

hmm, i guess not to many people like MTH?
  10. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I like Lionel however I buy and own more MTH engines. They just make the road names I want right now.
  11. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

It looks like this tread died so thought I would confess. I ordered the RailKing Scale PRR GP9 and the Premier Jersey Central S-2. I thought about ordering the E-6, but I already have an Alco PA in PRR. You have to stop somewhere.:mrgreen: Then to I am still waiting on the E-44 I ordered from the last catalog.
  12. Geno

Geno Member

The ice is melting for me and MTH engines- I wasn't sold on the PS2 diesels at first, due to the development and beta testing issues with DCS. But now that DCS' teething problems have been resolved and MTH has introduced the 3-2 models (especially the scale-wheeled versions), I think I will be buying my first PS2 diesels in 2008.

13. Uintah Dave

Uintah Dave Member

I've got a MTH V&T freight set for the Christmas tree last year hand have been very happy with it.
  14. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i dont have DCS yet, but i love the Texas special set i got with PS2, i cant run all the stuff that the engines can do with the transformers i got, but i love the stuff i can run, i love the smoke and engine sounds, i really like the breaking sounds when i slow down...lol best horn of any of my engines i have so far. next im going to try out an mth steamer with ps2.

15. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

well it looks like i wont see anything from the 2008 book until around july.
  16. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

To tell the truth I have no clue why someone would judge PS2 on weather or not they like DCS. I say this because I don't have DCS. I run mine with my CAB 1 / TMCC.

PS 2 engines are fine and since buying them a little over a year ago I have had no problems other than out of the box problems that were fixed in a timely manner.

PS 2 engines do just fine without DCS though a CW-80 will give them fits. In any event TMCC engines get a 10 and PS2 engines get a 9.5. You may ask why the is a half percent difference. Well I like the Lionel name better than MTH and that is worth a half percent more in my rating scale. :thumb::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  17. Geno

Geno Member

Running PS2 engines w/ TMCC is like running TMCC engines with a transformer throttle- you're missing a whole lot of features without the proper command control system. My decision to avoid buying DCS and PS2 engines is not based on a bias towards Lionel (more than half of my rolling stock is MTH), but my refusal to buy an unproven command control system.

I watched many of my fellow club members at AGHR struggle with DCS and PS2 engines for years while us diehard TMCC guys just set our trains up and ran them. Well, most of the bugs in DCS and PS2 engines are worked out now, and the DCS guys can pretty much run their stuff with little fuss. Now that the system is proven, I'm willing to join the party. When you pick up the basic DCS setup and hook it up, you will notice a big difference in the way your PS2 engines run.

18. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Geno actually I have used both systems. There is nothing wrong with DCS. However I find running PS2 with TMCC easy to run and learn and full of more options than I care to use. It is like my digital camera and new TV. Loaded with useless options that I have no care to use.

The same can be said about TMCC but it runs PS2 so great that I have no need to put in DSC. The TPC's make all the difference in the world to me.
  19. Geno

Geno Member

I hear the latest version of DCS 4.0 can run all features of TMCC- I guess with all of the hardware out there there's more than one way to run your trains.

20. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

This thread has wondered a little off topic. :mrgreen:

announce1Now that it has I will make one other comment. MTH is now shipping the woodside passenger cars that were announced in the 2006 volume 1 catalog. That catalog came out in Oct. of 05! Talk about your long delivery times. Wow!