2007 Bachmann Catalog

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Mountain Man, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

A friend gave me a copy of the 200y Bachmann Dealer Catalog. Very impressive, but what is even more impressive is the incredible markup your LHS gets over the prices charged by the manufacturer. :-o
  2. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Yeah, I'm sure that's true with all dealer products, that's why some will give as deep a discount as they do.

I just paid $10.99 for some atlas turnouts that all of my local shops are charging the full retail of $17.50. Now you know that they are all paying the same from Atlas or some other wholesaler and that they are still making a profit at the $10.99 price. It is also true that the local retailer has to have higher markups because they don't have the volume that on-line or 800# store have. It's a tough call, do you want to support your local stores, or do you want to save a few bucks and not have to leave your house in the process ...
  3. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

I still miss the regulars who used to come in to the shop. I miss the paycheck too.
    The value of having a local hobbyshop, for me, outweighs the savings of bypassing the store. Then again, I do hate "self checkout" that's showing up at more and more stores. I really would rather deal with people, than with machines. Business is rapidly becoming a dehumanized mess.
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

The markup by dealers for items like locos and rolling stock is 600%. Bachmann sells things like locos in 6-packs for the same price you pay for one.

Nothing like sticking it to the fans...:flush1:
  5. leon1

leon1 New Member

considering just how long a locomotive might hang round on the hobby shop shelf might justify the mark-up! After all--just try to find out the mark-up on diamonds and that should really floor you. Don't think I am in agreement with this sort of practice because I don't. Most of the model railroad products are out of reach to most of us. Scratch building can be fun and most likely necessary to some fans.
  6. Kanawha

Kanawha Member

Buy online or through mail order, its the only way.