2006 year-end holiday non-contest

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
OK, it doesn't seem like our "winter scene" Nov/Dec photo contest is going all that good. Now my excuse in that I live in the desert and winter here doesn't look all that different than the summer does, but beyond that, I don't know what up with that one. But nevertheless, we need to get in the holiday spirit so once again:

We will have an "everybody wins" photo contest, or actually, a non-contest where you can post anything that is holiday related. We'd like to see some trains in the picture, but this is the Christmas season and that's what's important here. Kids, family, Santa, snow and trains, all important stuff. How about your train setup under the Christmas tree? Just a consist chugging it's way through the snow to bring presents to the kids around the world? A lonely station in a snowstorm? Your own family at Christmastime?

There are no rules other than that, and our standard caveat about using other people's copyrighted work.:D There will be no voting this time either. It's just time to show how you celebrate and have fun around the holidays.:thumb: :thumb:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Well, in the interest of getting into the holiday spirit, here's my Christmas layout. Unfortunately, I'm stil recouperating and can't put it up this year, but the memories of past years linger on.

Attachments

• Distance shot.jpg
    Distance shot.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 211
  • Night carolers.jpg
    Night carolers.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 217
Ice Blaster

Close as I can come to winter. This is a jet used to thaw out switches!

train1003.jpg

David

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
BNSF1484DownersGroveIL12-17-04.jpg.46217.jpg

Downers Grove, Illinois decked out for the holiday season in December of 2004. Here an eastbound local led by an EMD GP15-1 ties up the Main Street crossing in the early afternoon.

Spartalee

Dec 8, 2006
stripes said:
Close as I can come to winter. This is a jet used to thaw out switches!

train1003.jpg

David

COuld u imagine if they turned the nozzle to point out and let er rip!!! Rocket train!!!

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
The steel plant where I used to work had one of those. You didn't want to be in the vicinity when it was in use: lots of noise, and ballast and garbage flying everywhere. Maybe someone doing large-scale outdoor modelling could build a model using one of those battery-powered mini-vacs, rewired to "blow" instead of "suck". Might be useful to run around the layout before operating, just to clear the outdoor debris.
By the way, the NYC tested a jet-powered RDC, either in the late '50's or early '60's. Trains magazine had a short feature on it some years back.

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Whoo-hoo!!:thumb: :thumb: I'll bet that with all that snow, the picture isn't the only thing that's outstanding!:D (Or have I just been locked in the basement too long?):rolleyes:
Seriously, though, great scene, Chris! :thumb:

Wayne

Brian R.

Oct 4, 2005
DSCN0475.jpg

Support the Troops!

DSCN0449.jpg

X-mas General I repainted after seeing Gil Finn's.

DSCN0479.jpg

X-mas 2006 Layout

Happy Holidays Everyone and Happy Healthy New Year!