2006 International Paper Model Convention

Discussion in 'North America' started by rickstef, Oct 16, 2006.

1. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Thank you Rick for the update.

Do you think pictures and video would be available? (Your blog, youtube, etc?)
  2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Yes Jerry,

hopefully the video will be downloaded to my laptop in the next couple of days.

in all the excitement, i never went around took pictures myself, but I know that SteveM took bunches, as did others.

3. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I haven't been to it in a few years, but I think this one had the best in public attendance. I also want to thank everyone who coordinated this event. It was a lot of fun. I don't know why Thomas couldn't make it, I hope he is well.

By the way Rick, did you have enough money for gas after buying all those models? :grin:

4. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Yeah i did

i had a full tank when i started out on friday.

i do expect a build report on one or both of the ones you bought too :p

5. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Thanks Rick.
    Hope to check on the pics & video.
    I had some pics on my own for the Vet's Day at the gallery.
  6. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Good news, the video i shot came out looking good, somewhat bad news, Now i need to learn how to upload the stuff to my laptop, and convert it.

I didn't take any pictures, there were loads of others being taken by everyone else.

I will try to get the video up as soon as possible

7. SteveM

SteveM Member

8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Great pics - looked at everyone of them! Thanks for sharing sure was some good stuff there :)
  9. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Thank you!! It's great to see a show from our home-forum modelers.
  10. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Sorry I didn't introduce myself while at the convention. I didn't realize you were from the forum. I was one of the guys wearing the FG green t-shirts. and I remember being very impressed with your builds and talking to you about the Tzar tank and micro x-15 (And later when everyone was closing shop the industrial-sized spongebob house).

Thanks for the pix!

11. davelant

davelant Member

I just wanted to add my impressions of the 2006 convention, as a first-time attendee, in hopes of encouraging others who have never gone to give it a try next year. When I first heard about the convention, I was tempted to go, but I had some reservations about the price, and I was simply unsure what to expect, and what I would do once I got there. And it was 700 miles from home. I am accustomed to IPMS style model shows, that are one-half contest, and one-half shopping, and this seemed a little different. I'm not a designer, just a guy who likes to build every once in a while. I really wanted to see the new Udvar-Hazy air museum, just a few miles from the convention, so I decided to go.

First and foremost, the convention is a very congenial meeting of interesting people. When I arrived on Friday night, I was greeted and registered by Pete Ansoff, and no sooner had I set up my models on display it was time for a generous sandwich and salad buffet, with an open bar. I sat with Gil Benson and his wife, as well as a modeler from New York. I hung around after dinner, but I was still tired from the road, so I went to bed pretty soon. The next morning, I came in as Robert Tauxe was giving a lecture on strategies for finding paper models on eBay, and then he switched topics and described his research into the history of woodcut-printed paper models in Japan before the twentieth century, representing kabuki scenes, mythology, and tea-house interiors. Then Matt Bergstrom, still tired from an early morning flight, talked about using Photoshop to rectify architectural photographs to use in photo-realistic models.

While the talks were going on, I counted about 20 to 25 attendees, and thought to myself I would shake hands with and talk to each one. I failed in this resolve, because once I got talking to someone it was usually hard to stop. One is an epidemeologist, and another restores historic aircraft for a living, and another has a great anecdote about the 1st International Paper Modeling Convention, and somebody else has the most gorgeous paper airplanes--and the propellers spin if you blow gently on them. Between the talking and helping out a few Cub Scouts with the make'n'take, the day was gone in a flash. After the formal presentations, there wasn't a structured schedule, but there was no need for one. We just showed our stuff to each other and the public. A little time to rest, and then it was time for a hot buffet dinner and an auction to raise funds to support the convention, and it was a full day for everyone. I know lots of people worked to make this happen, but I especially want to point out that Pete Ansoff was on his feet all day at the make'n'take, from the first kid to the last.

Perhaps the high point for me was to meet A.G. Smith. Before I even knew that I was making paper models, I was building the Dover "Easy-to-Make Castle" for my then three year old daughter. It was also good to meet the internet group facilitators Steve Marshall and Rick Steffers. Like me, others used Rick's webcam to prove to their spouses that they really were attending a "paper model convention." I also recall staring a long time at John Dell's gorgeous B-24, re-engineered for Fiddler's Green.

And as for my worries about the price of this event, it included two full meals, the hotel room convention rates were very good, and for those who wished to economize further, each room had a refrigerator and a coffee maker, allowing the prudent to economize on breakfast and lunch. Little freebies kept appearing in my hand--a bottle of tacky glue, a Clermont steamship model, various incarnations of Brickboy. I did a little damage to my wallet at Pete Heesch's table, and would have done some more at Fiddler's Green if they hadn't already sold out the CD I had my eye on, but not as much as I might do at a plastic show.

So I'd say that the next time they hold one of these things, you should go.