2005 International Paper Model Convention

Discussion in 'North America' started by rickstef, Jan 31, 2005.

1. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi all,

It is that time of the year again.

No it is not Howdy Doody time..........

It is time for this year's International Paper Model Convention.

It will be held in July for a change, 22 and 23 July.
    Where? Still in Dulles Virginia(i think) but as for the location, Let me get back to you on that.

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend, as I have a conference myself in San Diego starting that saturday.
    This means no webcam either, unless someone else does it.

Sorry to dissappoint, but I will keep those of you interested swamped in info

2. murban

murban Member

thanks for the info. I will try to attend this year.
    I know, I have said that for the past two years, but it's not that easy to get it scheduled when you don't know when your US client want's to see you ;)

3. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi all,

Here is some more news on this year's conference

Individual 2005 International Paper Modelers’ Convention:

This year’s Convention will again be held at the Days Hotel and Convention Center, 2200 Centerville Road, Herndon, VA over the weekend of 22/23 July. The hotel is located at exit 10 on the Dulles Toll Road (Rte 267). The hotel offers a free shuttle from Dulles Airport (2 mi away) or you can take a commercial shuttle from BWI or National Airport to Dulles and then call for a free pickup at Dulles. You can visit the hotel web site at www.dullesdayshotel.com

The schedule is as follows:
    Friday, 22 July – start setup of tables at approximately 5PM; ice breaker sandwich buffet with beverages sponsored by H&B Precision Card Models 6:30 PM until 8:30 PM; continue setup until finished.
    Saturday, 23 July – guest lectures 9 AM to 10AM; open to the general public (free admission) 10 AM until 6PM; social adjustment hour (cash bar) 6 PM until 7 PM; warm buffet with three entrées 7 PM until 8 PM; auction of donated paper model kits (to raise funds for 2006 convention) 8 PM until ??? – breakdown of tables will depend upon availability of room on Sunday.
    Sunday, 24 July – possible group excursion (TBD)

The Convention Planning Committee has come up with the following pricing for this year’s Convention:

Convention Registration (includes name tag, calendar of events, points of discussion for business meeting and tourist packet on DC and area - some of which may be mailed early) - $10.00
    Ice Breaker (including cash bar) - $20.00 ($25.00 without Reservation)
    Table Reservation (one table – 8 foot - and two chairs) - $30.00
    (two tables – 8 foot – and four chairs) - $50.00
    Option – booth (=3 tables) - $65.00
    Buffet - $35.00 ($40.00 without Reservation)

Please send reservations and payment to:
    Peter Ansoff
    6353 8th Circle
    Alexandria, VA 22312-1903

Room reservations: To facilitate the possibility of connecting the convention with a vacation trip to the area, we have coordinated room reservations ($69.00 per night for a single or double) for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Reservations should be made directly with the hotel. Their telephone number is (703) –471-6700 and fax is (703)-471-8284. Make certain that you mention the International Paper Modelers’ Convention to receive this rate.
  4. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Dear Paper Model Enthusiast,

We want you to join us at this year’s 9th International Paper Modelers’ Convention. In 1997, three card modeling enthusiasts living around Dayton, OH decided to get together and share their love of the hobby by showing off their models, swapping construction tales and trading spare kits. A fourth modeler happened to be passing by and joined the get-together. Thus the Annual International Paper Modelers’ Convention was born.
    The Convention was moved to Herndon, VA (just west of Washington, DC) in 2001 after four years being sponsored by Myles Mandell in Dayton,. This year’s convention will be held over the weekend of 22-24 July 2005 - again in Herndon, VA. We hope that you would consider joining in the festivities and share your experiences (and models) with other enthusiasts and the general public. We are expecting over 50 model builders, several hundred curious visitors, a number of current designers and publishers and hopefully, a few of the early 1970’s designers.

The event will be held at the Days Hotel and Conference Center, Herndon, VA – take exit 10 off the Dulles Toll Road (Rte 267) You can check out the hotel’s website at: www.dullesdaysinn.com Rooms cost $69.00 per night (single or double) from Thursday (21 July) through Sunday (24 July). Call the hotel at (703)-471-6700 and ask for the Paper Modelers’ Convention rate. Come early and visit DC. We open the festivities around 5 PM on Friday, 22 July with an ice breaker cold buffet. Most of the exhibitors will be enjoying good food and beverage while setting up their tables and sharing stories. On Saturday we are planning several guest lecturers from 9 AM until 10 AM. Then we will open the displays for the general public. We close the displays at 6 PM to get ready for our buffet at 7 PM (which includes the special auction of paper model kits). Sunday morning we have our annual business meeting at 9 AM and then are working on plans for a possible group outing.

As with all conventions, there are some costs related with the event, but the planners have done their best to keep these to a minimum. There is a $10.00 registration fee (which gets you a packet of information on the convention and the attractions of the surrounding area and a name tag). Tables (8 foot with two chairs) for your display of models and kits cost $30.00 (or $50.00 for two). The ice breaker costs $20.00 and the buffet $35.00. All meals cost $5.00 extra each if you do not make a reservation before the start of the convention. Reservations with payment should be sent to Peter Ansoff, 6353 8th Circle, Alexandria, VA 22312-1903 If you cannot attend, but would like to support the Convention, a donation would be greatly appreciated. A donation of $10.00 or more will earn you a CD of the photos of the various displays and place you on the mailing list for information on future conventions. You could also send a model kit(s) which you think you won’t make and might be of interest to other builders. We will auction the kits off and let people know you donated them. Send the donations to Peter Ansoff or the above address (Please label “Donations†– DO NOT BEND).

We hope that you will join us for this wonderful event. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at the above address or via email: hbprecisioncard@cs.com or via tel/fax at 703-620-9720.
  5. caveira

caveira Newbie

Caro Rick, sou do Brasil, Rio de Janeiro, entrei no fórun e gostaria de saber se voce poderia me mandar diagrama do modelo de papel do chevrolet silverado driven para dowload. Gostei muito do modelo. Saudações e felicidades para voce. Meu e-mail é: caquinho6@yahoo.com.br
  6. DeWayne

DeWayne Member

He said, I believe...

"Dear Rick, I am from Brazil, Rio de Janeiro, I entered in the fórun and he/she would like to know if you were able to me to order diagram of the model of paper of the chevrolet silverado driven for dowload. I liked him/it a lot model. Greetings and happinesses for you." and then gives his email address.

7. goney3

goney3 Member

2005? ... isn't this 2006? Im confused...

oh, old post... my bad, just saw it in the "new posts" section and started thinking 'what the heck?'... sorry.