2001 ASO USSC Discovery One

DanBKing

Dan the Man
A small fix up and a test....

I was not happy with the spine to reactor flange, that I made earlier in the build, So, I built a new one.

095.jpg
100.jpg
105.jpg
148.jpg

I did a test build, to see how the layering effect on the main sphere would look. On the studio model, the dark latitudinal bands are recessed in relation to the main panels of the sphere. Using UHU02's original tab design and layout would not allow for this effect. The ring sections that make up the rest of the hull panelling I cut out, making sure all the black cutting lines were removed in the process, and the cut edges coloured to match each individual coloured panel, using water colour pencils. The effect is good, but it needs to be a cleaner build. I also need to use less glue, as I am seeing the shape of the tabs showing through on the upper surfaces, either that, it's less finger and thumb pressure during glueing, or both ....wall1

141.jpg

More soon...

:wave:

dnalor

Are you going to raise details?..
On the pods or rings you do?.

i think that would make your model a real replica..

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Are you going to raise details?..
On the pods or rings you do?.

i think that would make your model a real replica..

The idea of raising some details on the sphere has crossed my mind.
I want to see how things come together with the edge glueing of the parts first. This is a technique that I have not mastered yet.
Maybe I will save the detailing for the additional sphere with interior and lighting that I am planning to build.....

We will see.....:cool:

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Dnalor is right, I agree. It needs to be detailed up a bit........
In hindsite, I should of started that on the neck........

I saw this pic on the net, and the idea was sold.

$T2eC16FHJHYE9nzpcDbcBQfkuos)yQ~~60_57.jpg

I think 160gsm stock will be to the correct scale thickness.... Or, maybe 120 gsm ...... :confused:

This pic of the studio Discovery, shows the raised detail to be a lot more subtle.

kg_studio_discovery-002.jpg

But, it's gonna add a lot of time to the build..... But there again, I started this build back in May, and after next weekend its Christmas. :eek:
Havent got a lot done, have I?:cry:

See you soon.

dnalor

it's gonna be tough.
Maar als je dit nagemaakt krijgt...petje af...

But, when you can replicate this...that would be great

mcusanelli

Dude, your model is coming along superbly, why worry about how long it takes? I've found that it's really important to enjoy the actual build more than the finished product. And it's no big deal to take a break and work on something else that captures your interest.....You'll come back to each project when you 'feel' it, and the end result will be even better! I look at this hobby as inexpensive therapy :)
Mike

DanBKing

Dan the Man
I look at this hobby as inexpensive therapy :)
Mike

And I couldn't agree with you more. This hobby has certainly helped me through some stressy times over the last 8 months or so.....

And to have a stress relieving hobby AND a means of making a 39 yr old dream come true at the same time...... Well, what more can I say ?:mrgreen::mrgreen:

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Jingle Balls..!

First of all, Merry Christmas to all members, moderators and admin of Zealot, and to anybody else that might drop by.. :mrgreen:

I had a quiet Christmas on my own this year, so I managed to get a bit of modelling done.

I started construction of the command sphere.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I wanted to attempt to have a closer replica of the recessed ring structure of the sphere. The darker latitudinal bands around the sphere are recessed in relation to the main panels. If I used UHU02's tab system, the panels would not be as smooth as edge glueing them. Also, the tabs are not on the correct edges to allow the recessing of the darker bands.
So, I cut out all the main pieces for the panels out of 200 gsm stock, as the thicker card should help to hold the shape better, and also reduce 'soak marks' from over-zealous glueing! I removed all of the tabs and made sure I removed all traces of the black cutting line. This took some deft work with the nail scissors!!

I cut all the darker bands from 160 gsm stock, as this is a little more pliable than the thicker card, which should help in assembly later.

The rings that make up the main panels I edge glued together, with strips of paper glued behind for reinforcement. I decided to only tack glue everything at this stage, as I want to make sure all the joints are good and smooth. By assembling most of the rings, before final glueing, should allow me some measure of adjustment to ensure having a smooth ball!! Once everything is in shape, I'll glue the joints in final position from behind.

I started with a bit of detailing. I wanted to shape and recess the two small rings on the upper section of the sphere. You can see one of them circled in the pic.

Naamloos.jpg

I formed a dome shape in a spare print, to push out the design.

035.jpg

This, I then punched out over large. The panel was then punched out and the shaped piece glued in from behind.

041.jpg
050.jpg

Once this was done, I started to tack assemble the rings.

060.jpg
074.jpg

DanBKing

Dan the Man
....Jingle all the way!!!

Just a couple more pics of the progress...

Recessed bands going on.... I also noticed that some of my edge colouring bled through.. wall1

077.jpg

The three main ring sections ready for final assembly

092.jpg

I layed everything built so far on the former to see how it all looks. It just needs to be smoother, but that is the effect I'm looking for.

085.jpg

More soon!!

dnalor

Great....almost ready.

i think when you layer it with the (complete) panels it will be smoother and more round.

DanBKing

Dan the Man
External Awareness Panels!

If you look at the front of the Discovery, and imagine it as a face, with the windows as it eyes, it has a 'determined' expression to it. I have seen other builds of this model and noticed that in some builds the window assembly has not been fitted properly. This gave the Discovery a 'suprised' expression, or I've even seen it frowning!
I decided to fit the window assembly first, before attaching the containing ring to the sphere. I rough cut the ring piece(!) and cut and folded the window anti-glare frame.

002.jpg

I attached both ends of the anti-glare frame first. This ensured that both ends were accuratly aligned.

007.jpg

I then made a jig from some beer mats. I cut one piece to fit into the frame and cut out a second piece to match the curve of the sphere. I had to make two of these jigs as the top and bottom of the frame are different lengths.

010.jpg

I placed the jig in position, and using 26 fingers and thumbs, held everything in place and glued the tabs in position.

011.jpg

It worked well, I think. Nice and straight and clean.

023.jpg

Next, on to the window itself......

DanBKing

Dan the Man
The window is cut out and folded.

037.jpg

I cut out a stack of beer mats to fit inside the anti-glare frame. They were a perfect thickness to keep the frame parallel while glueing the window in place.

038.jpg
044.jpg
046.jpg

I am very pleased with the end result.

051.jpg
057.jpg

More soon...

Maverick65

Clean and nice attention to detail. Will continue to follow with interest. Keep up the great job and thanks for sharing.

DanBKing

Dan the Man
A crick in the neck......

Something wasn't looking right with the neck, and after some studying of UHU02's instructions and reference photos, I realized my mistake.
I had built the rocket nozzels incorrectly. They were too long. wall1

Anyway, I managed to dismantel the constructed assembly and make new proper length rocket nozzels. Incorrect one on the left.

026.jpg

The old and the new....... (Appropriate; as it is New Years Eve now!!!)

2.jpg

And, in closing: A HAPPY NEW YEAR, TO YOU AND YOURS. MAY IT BE A HEALTHY AND PROSPEROUS ONE FOR YOU ALL. balloon6aussieballoon6

DanBKing

Dan the Man
It's the End... The End of 2012...

Managed to get a last bit of modelling done for 2012 before the festivities kills the hobby for this year, and starts it again in 2013 with shaky hands, bleary eyes and a head you wished you never owned. :mrgreen:

This is my first proper attempt at edge glueing, and I have to say, I'm struggling.... :cry: Is there, or does anybody have, a good guide on edge glueing????? I am not happy with my attempts so far...

054.jpg

I left glueing the rings, in frustration, until later . So, as pre-prep, I started preparing the four doors for the lower hull...

058.jpg

The rings around the pod bay doors first...

069.jpg

The doors themselves are sliced and the resulting slits pulled together and glued to give the door a bowed shape. I cut out a spare copy of the doors to use as detailing, or greebling, as you prefer.

106.jpg

The greebled door..

109.jpg

And the end result .....

115.jpg

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Next up the air lock door. This was also greebled for detail in three layers..

073.jpg

The greebled door..

079.jpg

And inserted into the frame....

102.jpg

Thats it for this year folks!:mrgreen:

Again, HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!!!

aussie