2001 ASO USSC Discovery One

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DanBKing, May 15, 2012.

1. Amazing clean and straight work! :cool::eek:
  2. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Everything is looking REALLY GOOD so far.
    You are doing a really clean job in this.
    This is TOP NOTCH work.
  3. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

It seems so long since I posted any new build progress here that I'd fallen off the grid.......:cry:

Its been a long time since I've had the time to get anything done on the model too.

But here are some pics of a little progress. I'm almost done with the engine bells....

I used a rubber O-ring to keep them in shape while every gluing stage dried.

The edge gluing of these cones was a pain in the posterior...

I was well happy with the first set of nozzels. Nice and round and can hardly see the joins :mrgreen:

And I thought I would do a quick test fit to see how it all looks, before I finish the remaining 4 nozzels.

More soon, I hope!:rolleyes:

4. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Looking really good. Looks like you have really got your nuts all lined up! :mrgreen:

5. dnalor

dnalor Active Member

looks great..and nice that your back...
    i almost thought that you were on a holiday :)
  6. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

After what I've been through this last month, I wish I had been FAR AWAY on holiday.... :cry:
  7. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

This is coming together nicely.
    Everything looks GREAT.
  8. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

Countdown started, Engines on!

The engines are complete.

The tube diameter for the engine stalks is 10mm. The tube diameter of the main spine is 8mm. I noticed that the 10mm tube slides snugly over the 8mm tube. I used this little find to my advantage. The port and starboard engine tubes are cut to length and glued to the back reinforcing wall. However, to ensure rigidity (and yes, linearity), I cut the spine tube longer than instructed so that it pushed through the back retaining wall, and into the tube of the center engine stalk.

So, now its on to the neck next .......

Laters .... :wave:
  9. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

Sorry people, but the Discovery build is on hold for a while.

I am busy with a commision job for a friend that will take a while to complete. I will post a build thread of this job once I have progressed a bit further.

In the meantime, something of interest about the current Olympics Gold Medals.....

10. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

11. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

A bit of fun while you wait...

Mr HAL and the Sentinal (or Monolith, if you prefer), awaits the completion of the Discovery......

And a bit of photo fun with a paper box, an old orange cushion and a poster...

Just finishing off the Raptor and I'll be back on the Discovery.... Promise!:rolleyes:

12. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

I couldn't help myself...

I started on the 'neck' of the Discovery.........

I'll be back ......:mrgreen:

13. dnalor

dnalor Active Member

it's a life :)
  14. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

My friend had the great idea of using the bottle of a lava lamp to use as a former, when trying to keep the rings of the neck concentric, while gluing.

I also used various sized drinking glasses for the same purpose......

And a combination of both,...

to get me a little further with the neck assembly.

The various sized and angled rings are a tight fit, and getting them accurately assembled is a gruelling task...... But, patience is a virtue.... :cool:

15. trt

trt Member

Nice model :thumb:

Cocktail doesn't look very appetizing :cry:
  16. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

Thanks for the compliment!.
    I agree with you, I'll stick to my beer I think. sign1

17. dnalor

dnalor Active Member

Now it's getting interesting :)
    What will happen with the pods :)
  18. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

The pods will come later.
    Once the neck is complete, the main command sphere is next.....
    I am debating whether to do a simple interior with lighting. Maybe I will just build this as the 'out of the box' version, and leave the sphere detachable.
    I can always make a more detailed version with inerior and pods later on and swap it with the standard version.......

We will see over tme .....!

19. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Cool endeavor you have started out on, great!! :)