2000AD: ABC War Robot Bust

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Master-Bruce, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Ok, for some reason lately I've had mechs and robots on the brain.

I'm trying to get my APU underway but keep remembering other mechs I loved, such as the Ulti Max from Rifts and this, the ABC War Robot from the Judge Dredd comics.
    I modelled this in about 2 hrs, kept it fairly simple and did away with alot of the pipes and cables around the neck. These will be complicated to do in paper so I only modelled a handful, leaving the rest to the builder own intiative to customise as they wish.

I'm just starting to unfold it then I'll texture it. I modelled a display base also.

Hope you like it, I'll try to get it released for the end of the week. :)

2. Regie

Regie Member

Dammit - people keep designing models I know I'll want to build! This looks awesome - I've been a fan of the ABC Warriors since I was ten years old.

Any plans to tackle the rest of the Meknificent Seven?

Sorry, have to go and wipe up my drool now...
  3. Master-Bruce

To be honest, I don't know anything about them. I flicked through the 200AD comics as a kid but never got into them same goes these days too. I remember him from the movie. I know the movie sucked. Judge Dredd does NOT take his helmet off!!!!!

I'm thinkin' of doing the rest of his body sometime.
  4. cjd

cjd Member

5. Master-Bruce

LOL! To be honest I quite enjoyed it, as I do most comic movies. I think it's mainly because we can watch our heroes on screen more than anything else. But that helmet thing really ticked me off about Dredd.

The wife got home shortly after my last post so I didn't get much unfolding done. Today though I have a free day so I hope to get it all done and arranged for texturing by the end of the day. This is meant to be a quick one before doing some more on my APU and unfolding some BSG fleet ships.
  6. Master-Bruce

Ok, he's all unfolded right now and the parts are arranged. I've even started texturing him so I'm cooking on gas for this one!!
  7. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Judging (get it?? Judge...) by your Enterprise models, I can't wait to see this one! I'm not a huge Dredd fan, but I did enjoy the movie, so this will be fun to add to the collection.
  8. Master-Bruce

Oh, that's terrible! LOL

I was going to just do a clean version, no weathering. That didn't stick for long as the model looked so flat and pretty dull. So, now I'm weathering it with photo reference of things like scratched metal, rust and using the burn tool to try and dirty him up a bit. It looks pretty good I think. Still needs some work but I think it's getting there.

This will be done this week. Then I'm away for a week to consider my next one. I think I'll stick with the mech theme for a while, it's a nice change from Trek. I'm thinking of a simplified Optimus Prime from the new movie maybe in SD. I found a great drawing at Deviantart.com (by a guy called VR Eli) that's got me thinking.
  9. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I mean, ummmm, looks cool so far!!

10. Master-Bruce

LOL! Sorry, didn't mean to. Do you mean the Prime thing or the ABC?

If you like, you can always have a copy now as a beta build? Do that while I finish texturing?? It's only an 8 page model so fairly simple really.

As for Prime, I'd really like to but I'm not sure if I could do him justice, I'll need to think that one over.
  11. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I meant the ABD, but Optimus would be cool, too. The movie transformers, though, do seem a bit over-detailed to do them justice in paper.

I'd be happy to get a sneak peak at the ABC. Can't promise much in the way of time as I just started a new job working evenings. But if you want, send it to mos95b at gmail dot com. I'll try to sneak in a little time
  12. Master-Bruce

Will do. I'llwing it on over after posting this.

You're right about the new Transformers, ESPECIALLY the Decepticons. Megatron was just ridiculous. Though I loved the Movie. No,I was thinking of simplifying the internals, closing up some of thos open areas. I'm inspired by that poseable paper Bumblebee we saw here somewhere. I just think, "If that guy can then I can." I hope. :)
  13. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Is it a head or the head and chest.

Looks good and the weathering looks pretty well done. Kudos!
  14. Master-Bruce

Sorry, just the head. I wanted to have more of the nech and chest there but because his neck is made up of cables and piping, I felt it wouldn't be ideal for a large papermodel as this is. Well fairly without being ridulous.

So I opted just for a head with half a neck.

Thanks for the compliment on the weathering, I'm really getting into using Paintshop Pro now for texturing post unfolding. :)
  15. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

The only thing I can comment on is ... provisions for red led's.

Some tinfoil for light blocking and red plastic and he's ready to operate.
  16. Master-Bruce

Yes! I thought that too. He reminds me of the T-800 bust that you can buy as a vinyl kit. Plus after you add more detail to that neck to beef it up it could look quite cool.

After looking at this I thought of attempting the T-800 in paper, but remembered that Jan of Aliens Papercraft has it on his list of "to do" so I'll probably wait for that.
  17. gremlin19573

gremlin19573 Member

was this ever released :confused: tried finding in download section but couldnt, help!!!:mrgreen: