2 things I think should be done in HO...

May 12, 2006
Pacific Northwest
176-6004-500.jpg

and...
P512surf.jpg

Agamemnon

May 18, 2006
Man, that's one big train...

Since we're on the subject of wishlists, I'd like to see more armored and speciality trains. Perhaps even fictional ones, like the Combine Razortrains from Half-Life 2.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Wildcatfootball:

Hmm... Athearn does make the AMD103 in HO.. You will need to find an undec blue-box and paint it up in Amtrak's Phase V paint scheme yourself though.

Con-Cor and Walthers both have Superliner cars available in undec too..

Can be done relatively easily. :thumb:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I may be mistaken, but I think I've seen the Amd103 in that scheme directly form Athearn. I think your photo of the locomotive is the Athean model in that scheme, notice the Kaddee type coupler on the front. I think I've also seen the high level cars from Walthers in Surfline paint. You may have to either have your local hobby shop order them for you, or contact Arnies from the link here on the Gauge. The Amtrak scheme may be popular nationwide, but the Surfliner scheme is unique to the Surfliner running between L.A. and San Diego.

May 12, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Russ Bellinis said:
I may be mistaken, but I think I've seen the Amd103 in that scheme directly form Athearn. I think your photo of the locomotive is the Athean model in that scheme, notice the Kaddee type coupler on the front. I think I've also seen the high level cars from Walthers in Surfline paint. You may have to either have your local hobby shop order them for you, or contact Arnies from the link here on the Gauge. The Amtrak scheme may be popular nationwide, but the Surfliner scheme is unique to the Surfliner running between L.A. and San Diego.

The AMD103 is a Kato N scale model... And the Surliner cars were from Overland Models, and were 499.99 a car... They're made out of brass.

Agamemnon

May 18, 2006
Hm, it's not exactly standard modelling fare, but making a Combine-themed model railroad would be a truly unique project. I wonder if anyone's ever made a layout based entirely on a pre-existing fictional setting.

May 12, 2006
Pacific Northwest
shaygetz said:
I was...that would certainly make for an interesting 'bash. Just how tall and wide would they be for perspective?

From the looks, compairing it to the size and width of the track, I'd say a little taller then a Superliner car? And pretty skinny by the looks of it.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Wildcatfootball said:
From the looks, compairing it to the size and width of the track, I'd say a little taller then a Superliner car? And pretty skinny by the looks of it.

Oh, now, now...a reeeal Half-Life 2 fan could tell me everything I needed to know, right down to the horsepower and how many bolts hold the throttle in....:thumb: :D

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The locomotive has been offered by Athearn in that paint scheme a while back and been sold out. The high level cars ar sold by Walther's, but they haven't offered it in Surfliner yet. I checked the Microscale web site, and they haven't come out wiht it yet, but if you contact them with a request, they might come out with that set. That paint scheme would be an easy one to do on an undecorated car. As you might have noticed in the photo you posted, Amtrak mixes Surfliner cars with the Amfleet high level cars all the time.

May 12, 2006
Pacific Northwest
shaygetz said:
Oh, now, now...a reeeal Half-Life 2 fan could tell me everything I needed to know, right down to the horsepower and how many bolts hold the throttle in....:thumb: :D
I'm not a real Half-Life fan thought... I've never even played the game...sign1

Agamemnon

May 18, 2006
Well, I have. The Razor trains are about 3-4 times as high as they are wide, lack most standard train features and tend to travel very, very fast. Probably crewed by something non-human, too.

A Combine railroad would probably be best kept as a single small guardpost in a post-apocalyptic setting, lots of broken and rusty engines, with a few "commandeered" ones. All trackside industries would be under Combine military control, with the surrounding countryside laid to ruin. Operations-wise, it'd be a fairly standard layout, with switchers dealing with industry, heavy freight trains being assembled and taken apart, and Razor trains speeding along the mainline (I don't think they stop outside Combine citadels or cities).

Geographically, HL2 is very ambiguous, but there's a definite East European flair to it, so something from that area would be appropriate regardless of being anachronistic, like big clunky Soviet diesels. It'd be about the overall atmosphere of the setting, not any idea of historical accuracy. And of course, in some corner of the thing, a rogue scientist in an orange hazmat suit.

As you can see, I've given this idea some thought.

Edit:

Looks like the visual designers of the Razor Train were insipired by reality after all: http://www.skyrocket.de/locomotive/data/nw_te1_jawnhenry.htm. It's big, blocky, ugly as sin and looks like it could pull a small country behind itself.