2-8-2 Driver's slipping

Medicine Man

Dec 17, 2003
Medicine Hat Alberta
Visit site
I just recieved a Bachyman 2-8-2 w/ vanderbuilt tender. Nice looking for the price,but the driver's "slip" on the axel's,constantly setting it out of quarter.

Any of you fine gent's delt with this problem before?????

MM

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
This is a common problem with early bachman locos.
Check with Bachmann to see if they can help.
I tried Loc-tite stud and bearing mount on one to glue it in place, it hasn't come off since, but I don't run it much either.
I repaired another by boring holes in the drivers on the lathe, installed insulators on half of them and installed them on a steal axle. I also regeared it too. Absolutely more work than the loco was worth, (just had to see if I could do it).

Attachments

• bach282.jpg
    bach282.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 240

petey

May 17, 2004
I guess I don't understand what's happening here. I read where this is a common problem. If the drivers are being forced out of quarter, then it would seem that the geared driver is moving, and the rods are not turning the other drivers, as they should be. A loco should be able to slip its drivers w/o getting out of quarter. I would think that the screw stem in the non-powered drivers is not holding the rod in place, allowing the rod to move w/o turning the driver. Therefore, either the rod "key" on the driver stem is not effective, or the eye in the rod is not maintaining a positive hold on the stem. Joe at Bachmann is a good technician to speak with. I would like to hear what the solution is, if they describe it to you.

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
I opened up the under carriage and found the problem. The plastic doo hickies (or axle) that is supposed to hold one of the non-powered drivers had broken free of both drivers. I presume that it was somehow glued to the inside of the wheels, but since it was broken it was not holding them in place. So as the wheels turned, the first driver would sneak out of place and jamb up into the break rigging and throwing everything off as the rods are pushed further. I am hoping that by glueing the axle back into place, that it will fix the problem. I really like the engine, but I haven't been able to run it because of that. What kind of glue is best for gluing plastic and metal?

Basically it is right along the lines of what you were saying petey! :thumb:

Freelancer

petey

May 17, 2004
2-8-2 Drivers

Hello Freelancer,
I'm not sure I understand what you are planning to glue, but I'm sure you understand that you can't lock moving parts in place. For this application, I would use Super Glue, Krazy Glue brand is very good. This CA adhesive is good for glueing dissimilar materials. Two part epoxy is also very good, but is messier, and sometimes hard to apply in tight areas. Also, if you use the watery type of CA, make sure it doesn't run into spaces where you don't want it. Denis