2-8-0 speed question

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Waytech, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Waytech

Waytech New Member

Hello group

I just purchased a Bachmann 2-8-0. I find that the forward speed is only about half as fast as the reverse speed. It also sounds as if it is laboring to go fwd. Is this normal? I have run this for about 20 mins. and there is no improvement. Should I send it back?
  2. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

Depends where ya got it from...

I bought 2 sets of KATO RDC's- one set ran fine- one set sounded like me getting uP in the morning- I called the distributor, no interest- weasn't their nproblem- they pointed me to the manufacturer- the manufacturer said- sure- "We'll look at it for $60/hour"- we'll get back to you as sson as you cough uP $60/hr to figure out why we sold you something that done run so good????!!!

Oh yeah- let me PMS- KATO stuff is great- right uP 'till ya have ta tell 'em you have one of their lemons- then all of the sudden the cash you put in their wallets is forgotten- You must be doing something wong! (Wong is not!!! a typo).

Ya wanna read my e-mail back from KATO RE: same?

'magine- for Warranty "considerations"- sounds like a California Liar, I mean lawyer trying to eek out a living chasing model railroad accidents.

Next thing ya know- I'll owe them for even suggesting that their offer of warranty sucks.

Now as far as I know you can get run over by a car full of drunks in Mexico, on a hot Saturday night, and enjoy your time more than being run down by world class OEMs. I did have luck with Atlas when I purchased 2 SD-35s in "N" and complained that their lame bastardized mag-couplers dropped pins all over the layout. I told them all I wanted was the pins- which you need a microscope to replace on account of their- screw that- their bad design (or lack of marketing to develop and buy a decent design- too bad fellows:p)

Well, let's just say this- I have an SD-35 sans coupler pin and Atlas was no help- what were they gonna do- go drag the buttnutt what devised the pin hole for couplers to the phone and have him tell me why he thought it was a good idea to offer a bad design????

I did receive a replacement pin- but as aforementioned- I destroyed the replacement in half the time it took me to destroy the original.

Atlas' couplers suck becuase of their "uniquie"- call it patented unworking design- that's why MT will always rule here.

Anyone wanna buy 20 pair of Atlas trucks (from my coal drag) so I can replace 'em with something that actually works???

BTW I like 'em when they do work??? Just make cars fellows and let the MT people laff at ya no matter how well ya do- reminds me of work.
  3. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Welcome to the gauge! In my experience, Bachmann is pretty decent about correcting problems with their product, especially when the problem occurs right out of the box.
    In most cases, I will attempt to fix the problem, or, at least, find out exactly what the problem is. Unless you feel really confident about disassembly, and reassembly, I'd recommend sending it back.
  4. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

I have sent 2 engines to Bachman at different times, both out of warranty. They sent me a note saying they will replace them with the same or better model for an extra $15.00. The F7 was a exact replacement. I received a 2-8-0 to replace a prairy 2-6-2. I came out way ahead. I would guess that they will replace straight across the board for in warranty stuff.
  5. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

Hi Waytech,

Welcome to the gauge, The one I bought had the wobble and many of them did. I for one would run the engine at least a few hours to see if it improves. Mine did after about five hours. I don't know about why it runs hafe as fast in reverse but in forward they only run about hafe as fast as any other steamer I ever owned. Needless to say most run much to fast. They are great pullers and I'm very happy with mine as most folks are. If you bought it on line you should have at least a month to return it for an exchange. Bachmann is great with there warranty but returning engines to them directly always took six to seven months to get back. Also you could check out the bottom screws as some of the guys or gals found them to be to tight. Most likely someone will jump in with more information. Ron ;)
  6. Gavin Miller

Gavin Miller Member

I have a Bachmann 2-8-0 and don't have that problem. It is an excellent little engine which hasn't missed a beat over several months now.

Perhaps you should send yours back. If you get a good replacement, you will be very pleased with it I'm sure.

7. Waytech

Waytech New Member

Thanks for your replys.

I guess I will contact to retailer, BLW, and see if they will exchange it. I will email them and see if they respond.

I have seen many complaints about BLW in reguards to email response. I will FAX them in 5 days if they do not reply.
  8. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

my bachman does the same thing but is running fine just faster going in reverse:D :D rich
  9. Waytech

Waytech New Member

I sent it back to BLW on monday. I will see what the replacement is like.

Bachmann said they would "repair" it, but it would be 4-6 weeks.
    Too long for a loco that is just out of the box, I think they should just exchange it.