Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Mountain Man, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

I'm still working of just keeping it upright and not crashing into the ceiling of tunnels and bridges!
  2. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Right!!! The engine was the engine.. and classified as such... The tenders were "add-ons"
  3. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

I just would like to see the look on the face of the Turntable operator when it needed to be "Turned"! :eek:
  4. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

A Mallet would be somethign like 2-6-6-4. A 4-6-2+2-6-4 is a Garratt.

As noted, the Whyte system makes a LOT of assumptions about a steam engine's design, and it's easy to break. The Eurpean system not only counts axles but dstinguishes powered and unpowered - a 4-6-2 becomes a 2C1. The Germans, at least, often bother to list tender wheels as well, though separately.
  5. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

It's a "photshop" job of a triplex.:thumb: (Erie is misspelled.) No, ya think? I guess you have "premission" to post it here? :thumb: somebody stop me...:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  6. Mountain Man

I suspect the spelling of 'eerie' and the number 9999 were deliberate. :cool:
  7. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

I think it looks pretty Eerie! :eek:
  8. Mountain Man

There are stranger looking locos on the site. :-o
  9. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Trains magazine tried to adopt a reformed Whyte system a while back that would give extra information. I think -(6)- indicated 6 drivers that swivelled. Someone seemed to think it important to know if the front set was on a pivot or securely fastened to the main fame (e.g. PRR T1). I don't know if they came up with anything for unpowered axles in the middle (I think only Beyer Garratts had them). Some people also make a fuss if what looks like a 4-wheel rear truck is actualy 2 wheels on the frame and 2 on a swivel (2-6-2-2)
  10. Mountain Man

Well, since the 2-4-6-8-10-12 isn't actually a real locomotive, it's much ado about nothing. :cool:

It would make an interesting model, though.
  11. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Yes, but this thread has the potential to be almost as interesting as "The light at the end of the tunnel!"
  12. lester perry

lester perry Active Member

Brutus the barber has been quoted here but I don't see his original post. Am I missing something.
  13. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

He, like me, was snipped for being snippy. :whip1:
  14. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

The post was removed by administrative decision so now the thread can be more about that extraordinary fantasy locomotive.

15. Fluesheet

Fluesheet Member

In order to make sure this horse is good and beaten, the 12 tender wheels were a "steam turbine powered 6 axle trailing truck booster" according to the fanciful description on the site that Brutus linked.

My opinion is that tender boosters don't count! :p:mrgreen:

16. thumsup

thumsup Member

:confused:Huh, is that anything like a vasectomy?:p
    Oh I Hope not.

17. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Not quite. A vasectomy doesn't show so no one knows you've had one. This shows so the whole world knows...
  18. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

No, but it can be emasculating. :eek:
  19. thumsup

thumsup Member

:rolleyes: I feel so much better :v8:

20. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Actually, the full form of the European system does that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UIC_classification uses an apostrophe after any set of wheels that pivots.