1st structure in my sawmill complex complete

rlundy90

This is the first of seven structures going into my sawmill complex. It is stained to look like weathered pine and is to be one of the oldest buildings in the complex. Ron

Attachments

• Saez Sash and Door 009.jpg
    Saez Sash and Door 009.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Saez Sash and Door 030.jpg
    Saez Sash and Door 030.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Saez Sash and Door 025.jpg
    Saez Sash and Door 025.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Saez Sash and Door 028.jpg
    Saez Sash and Door 028.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 34
N

nachoman

The weathering job on both the wood and roof is quite effective...

Kevin

Nomad

That is outstanding:thumb:. I love that staining you did. The darker colors on the bottom look natural. And that chimney looks real. Great job. I am looking forward to seeing the rest of them. Is that scratch built or a kit?

Loren

rlundy90

That is a Campbell Scale Models kit called Saez Sash and Door. This is the millhouse and chip storage loft. There is another kit that goes with it containing the lumber shed, overflow shed, machine shop and hopper. That is the kit I am building now. It will be stained the same way to look like it was built at the same time.Still to come are Keystone Locomotive Works Bandsaw Mill, Planing Mill and Kiln and SSltd Jennings Lumber and possibly a few more before I am done. The bandsaw mill, planing mill and Jennings Lumber all have detailed interiors as well. The millhouse features real cedar shingles on the chip storage loft and real glass in the windows which is really nice if you want to model any broken or cracked windows. Unfortunately I forgot to do that before I put the windows in. Ron.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
wow rlundy,if my mill turns out half as good as that ill be happy :thumb:.great work.--josh

rlundy90

Thanks Josh. I should be done the second half of this in about 2 weeks if all goes well. The structure I am doing now is a lot more challenging. Probably between 500-1000 peices of wood to cut and assemble. I think it will be a nice building though, if I don't get ticked off and step on it. Lots of itty bitty little pieces. Ron.

jesso

Wow! It looks really nice! The way you weathered the walls looks incredible and most importantly, real. I can't wait to see more of your models.

rlundy90

Thanks for the compliments guys. It feels good to know that I am on the right track. I am fairly new to building structures and have an awfull lot to learn. This is the second structure I have built, the other being a grain elevator.This is my first attempt at weathering a building to this extent also. Any suggestions on improvements are more than welcome. Once I have the layout done and the buildings planted I may do some other stuff to them yet, like breaking some glass and loosening a few baords here and there. Thats the nice thing about using wood and real glass. Thanks again, Ron.

steamhead

Hi Rlundy...That's a great looking building..!! I hope to build an engine house something along those lines for my layout..
Speaking of broken windows, here's a couple of pics of what I did to a coal bunker I built earlier this year...I figured doing the window while it was still on my bench would be easier than throwing little tiny rocks at it once it was finished....:mrgreen:

Attachments

• ventana.jpg
    ventana.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 24
  • bunker1.jpg
    bunker1.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 17

rlundy90

Nice looking structure Steamhead. I am using real glass in my structures. It is super thin(.007) thick. To crack it all you have to do is glue it in with CA and activate it. The heat makes it Crack instantly. Works great. Ron

steamhead

Ron...Does the glass shatter or just gets a couple of cracks..?? I presume you just place a drop of CA on it..??

rlundy90

I glue it in with the CA usually giving it a thin line all around and then hit it with the activator. It will crack as soon as you hit it with the activator but it is hard to control where it cracks. I was thinking of putting some activator on a brush and just touching it where I want it to crack and see how that works. You can also break it first and then glue it in. It breaks very easy being so thin. You can put it on top of a thin piece of styrene and give it a tiny bit of pressure or score it where you want it to break. You have to use a special carbide engraver made by General tools to score it. A normal glass cutter just breaks it.

steamhead

Thanks for the link Ron...Lots of good stuff I might use on that engine house I'm dreaming of, and the rest of the layout as well... :thumb:

rlundy90

Hi guys. Been a long time since I've had a chance to get some modelling done. I have finally started construction of the second half of Saez Sash and Door.
There is a ton of wood to stain in this kit. I use a combination of leather dye for the first background color and then give everything a coat of india ink and alcohol. I then keep adding India ink solution to the bottom and get it fairly wet so that the ink soaks right into the wood. When the wood is kept damp on both sides it warps much less. Also using the leather dye I can use alcohol to thin it with. This also reduces warping. I have used thinned out acrylic to stain the wood but there is much more warping with water based paints. I still use acrylics alot for roofs. Sometime to purposely warp them.

Attachments

• Saez Sash and Door 035.jpg
    Saez Sash and Door 035.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Saez Sash and Door 139.jpg
    Saez Sash and Door 139.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Saez Sash and Door 143.jpg
    Saez Sash and Door 143.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 16

rlundy90

This is the beginnings of the lumber storage rack. We'll see if I get anything else done to post tomorrow.

Attachments

• Saez Sash and Door 148.jpg
    Saez Sash and Door 148.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 16
  • Saez Sash and Door 149.jpg
    Saez Sash and Door 149.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 12