1st build

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by scobie48, Apr 19, 2008.

1. scobie48

scobie48 New Member

this is actually the very first one I started with Greelt's 1/48th Saturn V.. F-1 engines went pretty good.. But when I got to the main body section is where I started having problems?? Not really knowing much about model building!!! between the card stock I used and not pressing parts like they should have been.. OH WELL!!!! We never stop learning:oops:

Attached Files:

2. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

FIRST BUILD? My gosh man! Those engines look as if they've been done by a professional!
  3. scobie48

scobie48 New Member

Thanks Soaring, I guess it's kinda helpful I built plastics most of my life.. about 30 odd some years!!! Just found out about paper models a few months ago and have gottin the bug???? Just found this forum not long ago... Thanks Scott:wave:
  4. jagolden

jagolden Guest

Yeah, the engines are incredible!

All modeling is live and learn - Don't waste the engines though. If you're not happy with the body, save the engines for a future re-visit to the model.
  5. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

I suggest for the body, reach in, and push out the areas where there's a valley type of thing.
  6. exzealot

exzealot Member

Wow! Those engines look real.

I built the Saturn S1 and had the same problem.

Take a #11 and carefully cut out the cap (make another one later).

Pop out the kinks as best you can as suggested above.

Then, take a roll of paper (such as shelving or masking paper found at home depot, and roll up about 3 feet of it. Roll it to a diameter of about 1/2 inch less than the rocket.

Insert the roll into the rocket body and let go of it. This model is an example of "all skin and no bones".

Let me know if this works.
  7. scobie48

scobie48 New Member

I really appreciate everyones input and suggestions on a fix for the body.. I don't know how soon I'll get back around to it but will definately try!! Thanks to everyone,,, Scott
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

echo echo echo - super engines! you can try filling the main tube up with toilet paper - that will help :)
  9. bclemens

bclemens Member

Scobie,- those engines are a work of art! All 5 of 'em. That's patience to the 5th power. Funny, I was thinking the same thing as Chris about toilet paper...unroll a roll until it just fits the tube, cut off the cap, and slide the TP in :)
    Best wishes,
  10. scobie48

scobie48 New Member

1st build fix

I went with Chris on my fix of using tp.. but I added some newspaper also.. I was able to completely remove the dome thankfully and started stuffing.. the result was favorable.. I'll be able to live with it now...

Attached Files:

11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Very Good Looking Model!

Very well done, Scott,

Excellent result for being your first real space build! The engines are incredibly detailed and well modelled.

Re the rocket body:
    I was thinking - what kind of glue are you using? I had the same problems with a big 1.200 scale airship model, when I used a white water-based glue (The German 'Flinke Flasche' type). Since then, I always use transparent, rapid-drying glue, with solvents. That doesn´t warp the paper.

Bengt :thumb:
  12. jgderuvo

jgderuvo Member

13. scobie48

scobie48 New Member

Hi Bengt, Thanks for the comments as for the glue I use its Elmers White glue. Have also used some super glues but didn't like them much. So I have pretty much stuck with the Elmers.