1970's Lionel Parts?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Anybody have a good hookup for Lionel parts from the '70's? I bought an engine on eBay and the thing is almost flawless except the front end looks like a dog may have chewed on it a bit. It comes off the rest of the engine so it's a seperate part and it's stamped 8300-40. (The engine is an old 1970's 8300 that came with the Lionel Cannonball set.) I only paid $17.00 for it and it runs like new so overall I'm pretty happy with it. I just want to fix this one flaw because I plan to paint it up as Christmas display for next year. I've typed Lionel 8300-40 into Google with no luck so now I must turn to The-Gage for all of your infinate wisdom and advice.
  2. 1688torpedo

1688torpedo Member

Hello Cannonball! The best place I can think of for you is the Train Tender in Pittsford,NY., Jeff Kane is very helpful & has fast,friendly service. Just type in The Train Tender on your computer address bar & you're all set. :thumb: Take Care.
  3. Cannonball

Thanks! I'll check it out.
    I sent out an e-mail to a couple of parts dealers telling them what I'm looking for as well. We'll see what I hear back from them as well.
  4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Since you'll be painting it anyway, here's an idea: Is there enough of the part left to putty over the flaws and reuse the part? I've done that to salvage busted-up locos in the past.
  5. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

6. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

7. Cannonball

Actually, it's all there. It's just got chewed spots on it that mangled a few of the details. My original plan was to just cut this part off with an exacto knife and sand it down with super fine grit sandpaper before I painted it. That idea got shot out the window when I realised if I cut off the damaged part, I would leave a big hole in the center because of the way it's molded.
  8. Cannonball

Close but it's not in his listing.
    Haven't found it yet although I've found about every other part for it.
    (Including my broken drive rods!)
  9. Elcoholic

Elcoholic New Member

1. Put a large snow plow on it.... or
    2. throw the front away and turn it into a cab-forward...... or
    3. bang it up even more to model a front-end collision (cornfield meet).........or
    4. glue an O scale cow to the front.

One must think outside the rails, Grasshopper!
  10. Cannonball

I'm not quite giving up hope yet.
    I've got e-mails out to a few parts dealers and I'll see what they can come up with.