1964 Pontiac LeMans Convertible.

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Mark Crowel, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

No CAD; strictly pen-and-ruler design. Writing tablet cardboard.

So far: sub-assembly of sides and longitudinal strip that will include front bumper, grille, hood, and side panels and door sills. Interior panels are cut into strip and folded down.

My plan side view, drawn-not traced.

Reference pictures are from the American Car Spotters Guide 1940-1965, by Tad Burness.

Attached Files:

2. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

I can only upload so many at a time before I get a pop-up that says "the page cannot be displayed".

Attached Files:

3. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Awesome... I love scratch builds!
  4. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Rear deck in place. I don't use flaps; I glue edge to edge, using doubler strips, shown in the underside view of the deck.

Then, the rear bumper is attached. One photo shows the glue along the edge of the car's side panel, ready to receive the edge of the bumper piece.

Attached Files:

5. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

I also love to do scratch builds. on the edges, to get rid of the sharp edges. I build the edge up from the inside with multiple strips laminated and the then when the glue has set, or the next day, I use my dremel to round the edges but a small sanding block with fine sandpaper will do. If this was a styrene build, I would also use putty for the gaps but with paper, I tend to use wood filler and then sand it smooth. So far the build looks good, Can't wait to see the undercarriage. For the wheels I roll a strip the width of the tire around a stainless steel socket the size of the rim and build it up to the desired size. Then I build the rim and place it inside the tire. It is just a bit of my build tricks of the trade. I also have more tips on the interior upholstery. Keep up the good work.
  6. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Thank you. You work to a more advanced level than I do. Over the years I leveled out to certain skill level, got comfortable with it, and chose to stay there.
    The gaps will be covered by colored paper, which is how I finish the surface. My undercarriages are strictly structural; their purpose is to hold the axles. For wheels, I sometimes layer cardboard discs together, or join two cardboard discs with a strip of cardboard rolled into a circle. Then the wheels are covered with black paper, then a white paper disc is glued to the center of the wheel for a whitewall, with its center covered by a silver paper disc for the wheel cover.
  7. bilge

bilge New Member

I hope we would see the finished work
  8. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Progress will be sporadic; home and job come first. But yes, you will see the steps involved in the build, including the finished work. I also have to finish my '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk, on another design thread.
  9. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

December 20, 2009.

I should have photographed the process of building the windshield before completing it, but I was too eager to assemble it. I didn't think of taking pictures until after it was done. It is a sandwich process: a 1/8th inch inner frame; glued to this is a 1/16th inch edge liner frame into which the plastic windshield is inserted, leaving gaps in the side for the vent windows; and a 1/8th inch outer frame, glued to the edge liner, thus sandwiching the windshield.

Starting to put some color on the side, also.

The firewall, front floorpan, front seat, rear floorpan, and rear seat are one continuous strip. The front and rear surfaces of the front seat backs are glued to each other.

I'll have some supper, and if I can keep the television off, I'll get back to work on this car tonight.

Attached Files:

10. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

The photos in my previous post show punch holes along the bottom of the clear plastic windshield/vent window piece. Cardboard punch circles will be glued to the underside of the cowl, and to the upper front corners of the interior panels, as locator pins for the holes in the clear plastic piece. One of these locator pins is shown in place on one of the interior panels in one of the following photos.

You also see the interior strip with its color surface applied.

Windshield is mounted. The model is starting to look like a car now.

Note interior door panels prior to their installation.

Attached Files:

11. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Happy New Year everyone!

The interior is installed.

Attached Files:

12. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Model completed 1-24-2010.

Here are the photos of the finished model.

Attached Files:

13. TheSarge

TheSarge New Member

I hadn't thought of scratch building cars like that. It looks great!
  14. stickyFingers

stickyFingers New Member

ah the Tempest predecesor to the Goat!
  15. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Thank you for the compliments, TheSarge and stickyfingers.