1956 Studebaker 1/10th scale build photos.

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Mark Crowel, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

June 12, 2008

Applied color to underside of hood and built hood support.

Built dash and steering wheel. Note "cyclops eye" speedometer (that small pod mounted on the top surface of the dash, above the steering wheel). On the real car, the numbers rotated within a window in the pod, like the numbers on a bathroom scale. At lower speeds, the numbers were on a green background. As the speed increased, the background went to yellow, then became red.

Covered floorpan and firewall with black paper.

Attached Files:

2. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Dang! What a fantastic job! Like said above, that frontall piece displays mastercraftsmanship!
  3. redhorse

redhorse Member

This is really cool. I like Studebakers to start with, and this model's incredible. And all done without computers, I really like this a lot!!
  4. logicman

logicman Greybeard

Mark, I just love these old gas guzzlers.

We don't see too many in the UK, but when one parks up, people stop and stare.

I especially like the chrome grill.

Its coming along nicely.

5. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Thank you, gentlemen, for your continued encouragement.

BTW, there is a chapter of the Studebaker Drivers' Club in the UK, at least one other on the Continent, and one in Australia. :)
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Great detail coming along there Mark!
  7. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Seats, June 16, 2008

The color is applied by pieces of colored paper glued onto the cardboard parts. That rear seat armrest, and the box structure into which it fits, took about four to five hours to make. Of course, that includes mistake correction:curse:.

Attached Files:

8. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Notice the working armrest on the rear seat, and see also the steering column with the turn signal lever, gear selector lever, and automatic shift indicator.

Attached Files:

9. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

July 5, 2008

Interior front door panel. Notice the built-in armrest, common on Studebakers and some other American cars in 1956.

Attached Files:

10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Fold down armrest! cant beat little details like that :) Coming together nicely :D thanks for the updates.
  11. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Scratchbuilding is an art... proved!
  12. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

As of July 15, 2008.

It's starting to look like a car, now.

Attached Files:

13. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Progress as of 12-28-2008.

Inside of roof, and completed roof mounted.

The chassis was too weak to support opening doors, causing them to become misaligned. I could not be sure that I could strengthen the chassis enough to correct the problem, so I glued the doors shut. The car is very sturdy now.

Attached Files:

14. nurung

nurung New Member

Wow, Nice Work Mr.Crowel!

even though using Hightech CG program, I have no original papermodel like your classical and beautiful papermodel. :(

it's awesome papermodel!! I have ever seen.
  15. mauther

mauther Active Member

Great, great, great! Scratchbuild at the limit!!!
  16. Oliver Bizer

Oliver Bizer Member

17. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Progress, 1-3-09.

Please note the hood (bonnet) ornament, hood emblem, headlamp trim, bumper guards, windshield wipers. See also chrome trim around windshield, side windows, rear window. Trunk (boot) lid now in place.

Attached Files:

18. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Here is the trunk (boot).

Attached Files:

19. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Trunk Details.

Note the 1956 Maryland license plate. That's where the real car is from. The orange color of this car is authentic. Studebaker called it "Tangerine". It was only available during 1956, and was discontinued partway through the production year, making this a seldom seen color.

Attached Files:

20. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

All dressed up...

Fully trimmed, all the car needs now are wheels. I hope to have those done tommorow.

Attached Files: