1956 Studebaker 1/10th scale build photos.

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Mark Crowel, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

1956 Studebaker President Classic: 1/10th scale build photos.

See final photos. Done, January 11, 2009.

This model car will be 20 inches long when completed. Here are the chassis and Sweepstakes V-8 engine.

My avatar is a smaller (1/24th) version of a 1956 Studebaker President Classic.

Construction material is chipboard (from writing tablet backing). Color is colored paper glued onto the chipboard. Fan and generator pulleys are made from layered chipboard discs: larger diameter for the outer flanges, smaller diameter for the centers. Fan belt is thin strip of black construction paper. Generator is rolled and glued black construction paper. Fan is black construction paper. Glue is Elmer's Glue-All. Spark plugs are segments of Q-Tips. Carburetor is rolled and glued silver coated cardboard.

Design is strictly old school: T-square, rulers, circle gauges, etc.

Attached Files:

2. gippolot

gippolot Member

Great work Mark,... but aren't just about all Studebakers, "classic"? :wave:

3. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

To me, they're all special. The "Classic" designation is what Studebaker gave to its top-of-the-line luxury sedans in '56, '57, and '58. Standard features on all President Classics included automatic transmission, four-barrel carburetor, dual exhausts, 120 inch wheelbase, and 210 horsepower V-8. Price was $2400-$2500 USD when new.

There is a chapter of the Studebaker Driver's Club in Australia.

Thanks for your comment.
  4. bclemens

bclemens Member

Great job Mark! I'll be watching with interest, both for the design aspect and for the nostalgia!
  5. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

The engine is now completed. The fuel pump, located on the viewer's right, on the lower right corner of the engine front, is made from 1/8", 1/4", and 5/16" chipboard paperpunch circles glued together. The fuel line going from the pump to the carburetor is a thin strip of silver coated cardboard.

The distributor is a glued-together stack of 5/16" chipboard paperpunch circles. The spark plug wires are thin strips of black construction paper.

Rolled and glued paper formed the the oil filter (black) and oil filler tube (turquoise) and cap (yellow) on the top front of the engine block.

Engine intake manifold is a layer of chipboard wrapped in turqouise paper. Exhaust manifolds are each a layer of chipboard.

Air cleaner, of the oil bath type, is rolled and glued black construction paper, connected to the carburetor by a chipboard strip wrapped in black construction paper, to represent the air inlet.

See photos in post below.
  6. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

More Pics.

Here are more build photos, taken 3-16-08.

Starter (rolled black construction paper), next to transmission housing, is most visible in direct side view and rear view. Battery cables from starter and engine block are thin strips of black construction paper.

Attached Files:

7. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Great job Mark.

I just love watching these scratch builds! It gives me the feeling of watching a pioneer design and build something using the materials at hand, and good old skill and ingenuity.

Keep up the great work.

8. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

It is beautiful, isn't it...The engine is pure genuis. When I looked at it, I thought it was actual wires ^.^
  9. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

This will be interesting, looking forward to more.:thumb:
  10. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Need more 'Stude' dude. ;)
  11. Zathros

Zathros Guest

How about an Avante?
  12. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Here are two Avantis.

These and other Studes are on the Cardmodelers Gallery.
    Scale is 1/24th. Base material is chipboard, of the type found on the backs of writing tablets.

Attached Files:

13. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Are these down loadable?
  14. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Sorry, but they can't be downloaded. Please send a private message regarding availability of my three-view drawings of Studebaker card models. Thank you.
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looking great as always buddy!
  16. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

More progress, April 5, 2008.

Front fenders and firewall are now in place. Notice battery (scratchbuilt chipboard box, black construction paper, 1/8" posterboard circle punches for battery caps and terminals), and radiator.

Most of my other Studebaker pictures are on the Cardmodelers Gallery. Please send a private message with questions about already-available 3-view drawings.

Thank you, everyone, for your interest and encouragement.:wave:

Attached Files:

17. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Some Progress.

Don't have much to show for the last two weeks. Overtime at my regular job took some spare time from the hobby, plus a few construction SNAFU's (Situation Normal: All Fouled Up) with this build required about two minutes of corrective surgery for every one minute of progress.wall1 I'll bet nobody else has that problem:cry:.

Those are 1/16th" wide strips of silver coated cardboard making up the grille bars in that grille assembly. The center grille surround and side grille frames are 3/8" wide chipboard strips, layered to 1/8" thickness.

Attached Files:

18. angevine

angevine Member

What can I say Mark,
    This model is looking great.. That grill is superb.
    Love it!
  19. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

super grill! Its a real eye grabber :)
  20. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Did some work...May 4,-08

Headlamps are each four chipboard discs plus one silver card disc, glue-laminated together. Note silver card strips around them, for trim around the headlamps.

Most of the time this week was spent doing corrective surgery to get the grille to fit into the opening. I've also made three separate hoods for this car. Decided I liked the third one best.

Note the fresh air vent door on the fender. The orange color of this car was a Studebaker factory color for 1956. It was called Tangerine.

At least the bumper was easy.

No matter how carefully I draw my three-views, I still get into trial-and-error fittings for some parts. Does CAD eliminate that problem? I'm still using pens, triangle, and rulers. I've thought of CAD, but I haven't really wanted to convert to it, because I think that would take the artistry out of the build.

Those are not pepperoni slices, those are chipboard discs. When 16 of them are are glued together, they form a wheel.

Attached Files: