Resource 1956 Packard Caribbean

Mark Crowel

User of old school drafting tools; no CAD.
Jul 28, 2007
Southwest Michigan.
This is a project that I started back in August of 2011, and until now, has been dormant since 2012. It's a cardboard and colored paper model of a 1956 Packard Caribbean hardtop, in about 1/20th scale.

I'll start by showing the most recent photos. Today I finished the side "pontoons" (sections), and glued them to the center body section. They are being held in place by rubber bands, as the glue dries.

pontoons attached driver side.JPG pontoons attached front.JPG pontoons attached front end.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

Mark Crowel

Jul 28, 2007
Southwest Michigan.
It is picky, tedious work to put all that "chrome" trim (silver coated cardboard) on the model. A lot of cutting and glueing of fiddly little bits. Also, it took a while to regain my stride after not working on the model for about two years.

Here is an earlier photo of the interior, before it was installed, so you can see it better.comppleted front seat dry-fitted in interior.JPG

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
This project looks BEAUTIFUL (so far). I like the fact that you are putting in an interior as well!!!

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

Mark Crowel

Jul 28, 2007
Southwest Michigan.
Thank you. This thread is a reconstruction of an old thread I started on this car back in 2011. I tried to find the original thread by going back through the old thread listings in this category, but couldn't.

I still have the photos in my files, but I'm not going to repost all of them. I'll just post the most pertinent ones.

Here is the back seat.Rear seat installed..JPG

Mark Crowel

Jul 28, 2007
Southwest Michigan.
I'll show some of the earlier construction photos, now. The car is built from writing tablet cardboard, which is similar to cereal box cardboard, but a hair thicker. Body components are formed by butt-glueing cardboard strips to profile shaped cardboard panels.56 Pack center sec pat and parts.JPG

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
You did a FANTASTIC JOB on this project!
The detail that you put into this is GREAT!!!
I like the "CHROME" front and rear ends.
A GREAT MODEL ALL THE WAY AROUND!!!

Mark Crowel

Jul 28, 2007
Southwest Michigan.
This was an old school build all the way. I drew my own plans, and made my own patterns. No CAD, just pen, ruler, and other drafting tools.