1950's Unbuilt Complete Kits... Value??

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by BrianM, Dec 31, 2005.

1. BrianM

BrianM New Member

I recently purchased an HO collection which evidently was active in the early to late 1950's. Among many other types of unbuilt kits, I have the following:

Bowser Redlands California Southern Pacific Type Semi Vanderbilt Tender

Lindsay Yard Diesel 0-4-0-DM Switcher

Mantua General Lee

all of these are die cast and include all the original packaging, instructions, and fittings. are these fairly common, or is there some "collectability" in them? I'm tempted just to go ahead and build them, but the original packaging and completeness give me pause to first check with those "in the know"...

2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

With what is offered now in the way of detail right out of the box and fewer modelers who build kits one that level for little return in detail (unless aftermarket details are added, thus catapulting it price wise past R-T-R equipment), the market for these kits is small. They are worth more than their original prices though, the General $25-45, the Bowser tender $15-35, the Lindsey $10-20. It really depends on whose watching and bidding at the time, they could even go higher. I myself would build the two locomotives and sell the tender as it goes with other larger Bowser steam. Hope that helps :wave:
  3. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Could you take pictures of your find? espically the SP tander, I'm interested!
  4. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

For the modeller (the majority here, I think) there would be little value, but to the right collector at the right time, you could see much more (as Bob pointed out).

5. BrianM

BrianM New Member