1946 Ameircan Flyer

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by PennRailRoads, Jul 25, 2002.

1. PennRailRoads

PennRailRoads Member

This had better come out!

Attached Files:

2. PennRailRoads

PennRailRoads Member

Ok, cool! This is what my father owns, as in the first post for the American Flyer I couldnt get a pic in til today. This is all original and has smoke and billow in the tender.
  3. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Hi PRR:
    Nice picture, just found it. The NYC 4-6-4 is one of the engines on my "one day wish list". I think it's one of the more handsome ones that ACG brought out. The "Billow" in the tender is usually refered to as "choo-choo" by ACG collectors. Since it's a fabric bellows it's definitely an early unit. They made a kit for converting them to the later all metal piston scheme.

Do you run 'em?

4. PennRailRoads

PennRailRoads Member

Oh yeah, this thing runs like the dickens! Runs like it was straight out of the box the day it was made. Although it sat for over 50 years is some guys basement, things had to be replaced, but it runs!

The parts for this early loco are very hard and rare to find any where, just lucky he took it to the local hobby shop.
  5. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Yeah, My 342 runs about the same. Just goes and goes and outhauls my SHS switcher two to one. Of course, it's twice as heavy too! Just love to run it and listen to the "choo-choo" and watch/smell the smoke. Now i'm working on getting my "rocket" diesel running correctly. The chassis are worn from all the use i gave it when i was 8. Still wants to go but there's too much friction in the motors so having to to do a little surgery.

It's a lot of fun to run 'em again.

6. acflyer322

acflyer322 New Member

nice Hudson that one in the picture is a SIT I have a ton of them really a fine locomotive one of Gilberts finest! The neat thing about this engine it will smoke when at idle as if it was waiting for passengers or waiting to haul a large freight nice engine!