1940's coal supply

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
Found this (1 of 3) picture of a siding near where I live. I am trying to model it in N scale. What color do YOU think it is? I tried green, but I'm not thrilled with results. How about the painted signs? I'll probably try to use dry transfers unless you have a better idea. Nice pic huh?

Attachments

• tri boro supply1 COPY.JPG
    tri boro supply1 COPY.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 199

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
my attempt

I built the building from wood. (yes, I agree with the person who posted about cutting window openings always come out crooked). The wall is all styrene. The base of the model will be styrofoam, untill positioned on layout. Any advice?

Attachments

• tri boro supply model 1.jpg
    tri boro supply model 1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 193

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
That's a great photo. The paver (brick) road is fantastic, but will be more work than the coal dealer...! ;) :D

I agree that a dark colour, like green, is be a good choice.

The chutes may be made from 20-thou styrene, or even thin cardstock.

Dry transfers are a good choice for the painted-on-brickwork sign.

Nice work!

Andrew

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Jan 21, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I dunno. It's hard to say. It could be directions of the sun which may make it appear darker then it really is because the front of the building is in shadow. I'd almost take a guess that is more of a light brown or medium brown colour. The green does look good too though. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
I'd follow Robin's lead and make 'em out of cardstock...unless you have a hankerin' to do some casting. Micro-Mark makes a neat starter kit for casting your own resin parts, if you don't already have the necessary materials. OR, try making one from brass, one from styrene and one from cardstock/paper and see if folks can tell the difference once they're painted!

Good luck, whatever you decide to do. It's looking great!

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
As for the letters on the sign, here's a method I've used with some success.

First paint on your letter color and let it dry thoroughly. Then apply stick-on letters in the size and font you need, if you can find them (like at an office supply or drafters supply store). Mask off the area for the background color and spray or airbrush that on...you can dab it on with a sponge if you're careful and be sure the letters are stuck on WELL. I recommend a burnishing tool (like for dry transfers). Peel up the letters and do any touch-ups necessary.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I think brass would make the most convincing chutes, sice you could probably work with thinner material that the others pulss the added bonus that brass bends and keeps the bend in it.