1932 BMW R16 w/sidecar

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by 72BMWR75/5, Jan 14, 2007.

1. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

Well, with a forcast for freezing rain and sleet with up to an inch of ice over the next couple of days here in cenal Texas, looks like I'll be trapped at home for a bit.
    My only transportation is a 72BMW motorcycle, so this looks like a good time to start on my first commercial model.
    I believe it's a Schrieber. It's a reprint from 1932, in 1/10 scale. It will be 10 inches long.
    I'll try to get some good pics.
    Wish me luck.
  2. cjd

cjd Member

Good luck (post pictures)

3. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I drove a Suzuki GS750 with a Velorex sidecar for 2 years as my only transportation. I was able to get these plastic straps that connected to the rear wheel with double D rings and had studs built into them and enabled me to go anywhere in the snow. They worked great but the second you hit clear road they would blow off. It snows a lot those 2 years in Connecticut. Nice thing about the side car is all the cold weather gear you can carry. I also used rope on the rear wheel in an emergency and the worked also, just keep the speed down to 20 mph. Good Luck.
  4. he Zathros , did you know that this is the engine the Russsians knicked for the
    Ural engine on top of the Ekranoplan?
    Cheers, Billy
  5. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Yes, Billy, it seems that the Russians have kept that engine going for a long time, it almost has a cult status. There are a lot of websites for this motor.

@72BMWR/75/5, What kind of side care do you have on there, any pictures?
  6. I drove a BMW R75/5 for years, must have been on every mountaintop in southern France with a road leading to it..
  7. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

No sidear on mine. Mine and the '32 R16 are both 750 cc's. According to the info in the kit, the '32 had 26 horse power. Mine has about 56. Bit of an improvement over the years.
    There's a guy here in town with a Ural with a side car. I like parking next to him. Kinda fun to compare the 2 bikes.
    I'll put up a pic of my bike with the model.
  8. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

And people here think I'm crazy because I ride year round and in the rain.
    I'm really glad that winter here is just a speed bump between summer and not-summer.
  9. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I saved a lot of money and purchased a nice car outright (no monthly payments) with the money I saved. I really enjoyed my sidecar rig and it really does turn heads which makes it a little safer as people notice you. As far as other people, well, I build paper models and some people look at me like I am nuts when I tell them how long it took. Those same people will play a video game for 4 hours without bating an eye though and have nothing left to show for itl!!
  10. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I'll be looking forward to this thread. I have the model too. BTW, I also ride in the winter but only when there is no snow or ice (I've only got two wheels).
  11. stagecoach

stagecoach Member

need help

Seeing as this thread is based around a BMW does anyone have some pictures
    of just the engine of a model R1200CL I want to make a model for my next
    door neighbor who just happens to own 2 of them and possibly also just the
    Thank you in advance.:grin: