1914 Burrell Showmans Road Loco - "William V"- Works no. 3610

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by eatcrow2, Jun 5, 2007.

1. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Would not mind seeing one of these in 1/25 scale, with Halinski's type of detailing..
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I'm not a person who would go out of his way to get a model like this but I think it would be a fun build and a great piece to have on display especially if gloss cardstock was used to pull out the feel of the paint shine.

Yeah. I great model this would make. Put it in the 'I WANNNNNNNT' list. :D
  3. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

As a boy growing up in the Midwest, I sometimes went to "threshing fairs" where I encountered these fantastic earth-shaking "land locomotives" that caught my imagination and have never let go.

Why are there so many models of steam locomotives, and so few of traction engines, steam trucks, and other similar technology? Seems curious.
  4. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I believe that PMI had something like that as a reprint. It's no longer there on the site, but it may be worth emailing Lou to see what he has.
  5. nx13688

nx13688 Member

My grandfather has been operating traction engines since he was a lad on the farm. He is 82 now, and is still a fixture at local parades with his "model" - a 1/4 scale version of a 1919 Advance-Rumely engine, which is about the size of a large garden tractor.

I also wish there were more models available. I think they are an intimidating subject because of the complexity of the mechanical parts, which are on top and out in the open, and it just wouldn't look right without a high degree of detail.
  6. SteveM

SteveM Member

7. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Have seen that one, but it does not have the detail that I would like to see in a top quality kit..
  8. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I really like the old hit'n miss motors. We have a fair called the Bridgewater Fair" in Connecticut where some of these beauties are on display.
  9. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I have a similar looking traction engine kit, its made by showcase and is called Boadicea, doesn't say what type of engine it is but its done out as Jethro's showmans engine. Looks a nice kit, simple but all the right parts are there looks very effective in the artwork. Not sure how old it is looks fairly old but the print quality is good and some parts are printed in metalic gold. I got it from ebay it cost me quite a bit and I am not sure if I will ever build it, it looks to collectable to chop up! I have seen another one on ebay since i got mine and it went for a similar price, I also saw a Mallard locomotive on there from the same publisher but it looked like a page was missing it still went for a lot though.
  10. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Duh sorry didn't realise the one in the link was the one I have!!! :cry: :cry:
  11. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

The complexity of the exposed machinery is a good point. But then again, I've seen some amazingly complex commercial models in build threads hereabouts! Even given that, the imbalance is striking - almost no land steam models.

I've mentioned this before, I would love to see designers of vehicular card models expand into some of the many vast untapped areas, including land-based steam. For other examples, think of some of that monster-scale equipment used for mining, or some of the fascinating exploration and research vehicles (e.g. the Alaskan land trains, that arctic explorer with the seaplane on its back, etc.). Seems like a good fit for this medium and it's enthusiasts, no?

New designers, take note, untapped markets await! :)
  12. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I remember seeing the old trains in Colorado, called the Cog Railway.
    Very interesting specimen.
    The engine was lifted high in the rear so it was almost level when going uphill.
    It pushed it's load uphill not pulled.

and another small one...

And lastly, a big one from Washington State, the only other Cog Railway in the US.

13. SteveM

SteveM Member

Mt. Washington is in New Hampshire.
  14. Fozzy The Bear

Fozzy The Bear New Member

The reason that they push them uphill Russell, is a safety one. If the coupling between the locomotive and the coach breaks apart, then having the locomotive on the lower side of the slope prevents the coach full of passengers from running away down the hill.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
  15. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Those are some nice looking engines.
    Has anyone checked out the steam locomotive model at the site with the Aerial Screw, Cryptex, and Posable Figure(Paper doll)? There is some video of the gears working.
    Click on MOVIE at the top to see some video of the gears working.
  16. Fozzy The Bear

Fozzy The Bear New Member

I just had a look at that Doug. It's a Trevithick Locomotive. Supposed to be the worlds first steam railway locomotive. The interesting part for me is that I live exactly 1 mile from the foundry in which it was designed. "Harvey's Foundry" at Hayle, in Cornwall. Richard Trevithick was responsible for a lot of things around here. The design of the causeway along the estuary, the harbor flushing system at Hayle, the White Heart Hotel which he built for his wife to run... lots of interesting local history. Many of his family are buried in the Church Yard of the village where I live, not 200 yards away from where I'm typing this right now.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

There is a 1:18 sale PLASTIC model of a showman's engine from Japan. Big, very detailed, very expensive; ninty dollars in 1989. A couple of British guys
    have put out plans for wagons and showmans vans to go wih it.
  18. GT5500

GT5500 Member

A think that is the bandai one right? you are right it costs a fortune.
  19. GT5500

GT5500 Member

20. modelnutz7

modelnutz7 Member

Burrell Showmans engine

Hi Guys,

Bandai modeled two engines in 1/16th scale the Showmans Engine and a Steam roller which I bought late 70's. It's one of the best models I have, the level of detail is superb, It's such a shame that It's no longer produced. Being a steam enthusiast I just wish one of the major manufacturers like Airfix would produce a kit of a Burrell or an Alchin traction engine at an affordable price.

The Harrison edge card model series was also Superbly done, the printing of the parts was just Beautiful. I built the American woodburner 0-4-0 steam Loco It was about 2 foot long and the level of detail was excellent. Stupidly I didn't buy the Showmans Engine at the time.

A Traction engine card model wouldn't be too hard to design, yes the worst parts would be the gears that show and the flare on the chimney would be a pain, but there's enough expertise here in the group to solve those problems.

Tom :thumb: